By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games too easy/self-explanatory nowadays?

Is it just me or are games getting easier and easier?

I haven't played a lot of new (= current generation) games but those that I played were totally self-explanatory.

Why do they even add manuals to the boxes if the game tells you everything while playing? Even nice ideas which you should think about to succeed are explained beforehand. People are 100% guided all through the games.

Are all the games nowadays like this? I don't really like this type of gaming. Sure, it's nice because it isn't frustrating at all to run through games without any serious issue but at the same time it's really boring.

~woo, first post ^^

Around the Network

I wouldn't say all games are like that, but more and more games are leaning towards getting easier and easier every gen. It's pretty annoying.

Bioshock was almost ruined because how easy it was. The basically throw Tons upon tons of med packs and money especially at the end and I was playing on "Hard" !!!

I heard that Demon's Souls is really hard though. I hope that SCEA brings it here in NA this E3 or else I have to Import

Frequent game saves is what makes games easier. Even if a particular section is hard, you can quickly retry it many times until you get lucky enough to pass it, even if your skills didn't improve much by doing it. In old games you would often have to retry long sections of the game, which made luck a smaller factor.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Didn't nintendo file a patent for the "skip to any scene in a game" because people might get stuck on a certain part?

Around the Network
Ostro said:

Is it just me or are games getting easier and easier?

I haven't played a lot of new (= current generation) games but those that I played were totally self-explanatory.

Why do they even add manuals to the boxes if the game tells you everything while playing? Even nice ideas which you should think about to succeed are explained beforehand. People are 100% guided all through the games.

Are all the games nowadays like this? I don't really like this type of gaming. Sure, it's nice because it isn't frustrating at all to run through games without any serious issue but at the same time it's really boring.

~woo, first post ^^

Self-explanatory games are the best as they're intuitive and well-designed.

Tutorials are great because most people don't read the manual.

I hated that in GTA IV.

"get into the car"

Yes, I figured I had to get into the car when the dude told me to get in the car... I don't need an extra tip at the bottom of my screen to tell me that again... I don't have... what am I doing here? >_>

Orca_Azure said:
Didn't nintendo file a patent for the "skip to any scene in a game" because people might get stuck on a certain part?

Yes they did. It was basically way of game playing itself if you can't pass something.

On topic - explaining game with optional tutorial is good altrough level of dumbness some of them show is rediculuss :)

As for games getting easier I don't know why - do people really want to have everything served on the plate ? Winning Wipeout HD race on Elite is much more rewarding than doing this with one hand behind the back on begginer.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I haven't finished KZ2 campaign yet... but even at higher difficulty level, I managed to kill the boss(s) during our first encouter and unlock the trophies that goes with it...

I don't think the game are easier... just that we are better at playing them...

I remember the end of the Genesis era... it was only games with an infinity of "continues".

Now I directly play games at the higher level of difficulty.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

I haven't played this gen yet, but i feel some of last gen games are easier then the gen before that.
It has to be playable for the largest audience possible so why make a game hard?