By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what game should i get killzone 2 or halo 3?

uber said:
Mendicate Bias said:

I'm pretty much done with the argument at this point because I can see that Uber is not going to listen to anyone elses arguments but to say one final thing. You say immersion is not subjective but is directly proportional to the amount of realism in the game? Well the dictionary disagrees with you.

Immersion-

state of being deeply engaged or involved; absorption.

If you still do not understand why your argument is flawed then nothing anyone says to you will change your mind because you clearly have your eyes and ears closed.
Also you are absolutely crazy if you think COD4 launched with more hype than Killzone 2. K2 had a massive worldwide add campaign behind it.
Your final flawed point is that gamers do not like Killzone 2 because it is different. When Halo:CE came out it completely changed the formula of fps shooters by adding rechargeable sheilds, revolutionary controls and a multitude of other factors yet the game did phenomonaly on a massively limited user base. If you think Killzone 2 changed the fps genre more than Halo then you are ignoring history.

I think your problem is that you are an elitist that thinks that everyone else is stupid and since Halo is popular then it must be a stupid game. The fact that Halo 3 is consistently the most played game on xbox live if not the world shows that Halo 3 has brought something to the table that no other fps has, bringing people back to play each and every week. Toyota is the most successful car company in America, is it because everyone is stupid and buys the same brand or is it because Toyota makes the most reliable, efficient cars on the market?

oh and I don't know about you but I can sure as hell jump and shoot a gun at the same time.

oh yes, i'm the closed-minded one.  you who have given nothing but questionable assertions and no willingness to understand any of the many points brought about killzone is mr. enlightenment.

do you even check facts before you post?  you have no idea how hard you make it to take you seriously.  i'm not even sure what your thesis is, other than that you really really like halo and think killzone is bad.

let's see if i can shed some light on you.  killzone sales:  i thought i covered this thoroughly, but your response shows it still didn't sink in.   you know how many killzone commercials i saw before the game dropped?  one.  just one.  it was a prerendered scene with no gameplay footage.  and speaking of this "worldwide" campaign you spoke of, do you know what it was?  it was a few banners on gamer sites, the bullet commercial, and posters with a helghan mask on it.  the commercial did not impress at all like the cod ad did (not to mention it ran way more seldom than the cod one), and the poster had to be taken down in some parts of canada due to it scaring children.  so who is buying killzone?  people who followed the development or frequent gamer sites.  average gamers and kids would of course bought cod4 more readily.  and as far as my point about the game polarizing the shooter community, you assert that it was not because killzone was too different, but that it just must be because the game sucks.  this lack of ability to resolve distinction is the kind of thing i've been dealing with from you since this discussion started.  i actually researched this point, and people are quite willing to share their thoughts on the game.  sure enough, the overwhelming reason people gave when they didn't like it were the controls...which is the biggest difference the game represents.  they didn't like the fact that it doesn't have the snappiness that twitch shooters have.  i knew this, so i said this, and you just dismissed it like usual.

you listed a couple of things that halo 3 did to revolutionize fps, but the only one that actually was new was the forge feature.  if you read what people who like and didn't like it have to say they don't agree with you.  people who don't like it cite boredom and unoriginality as the reason.  they felt like it basically was a polished halo2.  people that do like it talk about how they love the online aspect.  once again the facts are consistent with what i've said all along, and you for some reason have resisted. 

you provide a definition of immersion that is somehow supposed to prove that it is entirely subjective.  i'm not impressed.  i know what the word means.  what you can't seem to grasp is that immersion is precipitated by actual, objective things a game can do.  i don't know of a game being totally immersive to one player and not at all to another.  everyone that i've played with has agreed to the basic premise that killzone manages to up the intensity way more than other shooters.  it's basically analogous to the distinction between simulation and arcade play.  killzone takes great pains to make the game feel more like a simulation.  i've given reasons why.  you have provided no valid counter beyond weak semantic arguments and red herring arguments.

i've given frank assessments of both games that cover their strengths and weaknesses.  you have done nothing but show that you have a grossly distorted view of both games.

i will say that the argument has not been a total loss, as many of the contributing posters seem to have weighed in as agreeing with the basic conclusion that one game is a great twitch shooter and the other is a great immersive shooter.

So another page of babble without giving a direct and coherent counter argument to any one of my points. If you still don't know why immersion is subjective after I gave you the definition of the word then I must conclude that you do not have a significant grasp on the english language or you simply do not have the mental capacity to comprehend abstract notions." i don't know of a game being totally immersive to one player and not at all to another". This statement is probably the most laughably incorrect thing in your entire straw man argument. I can name you a hundred people on this site that think rpg's are completely immersive and another hundred that hate rpg's because they can never become invested in the character or the stories. Your entire argument based around immersion is an utter joke as has been shown time and time again.

I also love how you use subjective experiences to throw blanket statements around like fact. You only saw one Killzone 2 commercial while you saw three COD4 commercials so that must mean Killzone 2 had a tiny add campaign. The stupidity of that argument baffles me.

Are you honestly saying that Killzone 2 changed the fps genre more than Halo:CE? Halo changed the entire dynamic of first person shooters by adding rechargeable shields amongst many other things. All killzone 2 did was make the controls feel more weighty. By your arguments Halo:CE should have done horrible since it was so different from what previous fps games offered. So why is it that Halo did so much better than Killzone 2?

Your saying the only innovation Halo 3 had was forge. In that case please tell me what other fps game has saved films, skulls or the equivalent of, screenshots, equipment, total integration with its mother site, 4 player co-op and anything close the massive amount of options for custom games.

I have not once said Killzone 2 is a "sucky" game, that has been you putting words in my mouth. It is in fact a very good game however it is seen by the vast majority of gamers to be a weaker game in comparison to Halo 3. You have shown quite extensively that you have a minimal understanding of fps game mechanics and you continually show your lack of a central debating position by repeatedly calling my statements "red herring arguments" instead of individually countering my points as I have done for you. This either means that you are simply on a defensive rant of your favorite game or you have no valid points to make. Either way you have shown your ineptitude at understanding the simplest of concepts.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network
uber said:
TheSteve said:
Mendicate Bias said:

I'm pretty much done with the argument at this point because I can see that Uber is not going to listen to anyone elses arguments but to say one final thing. You say immersion is not subjective but is directly proportional to the amount of realism in the game? Well the dictionary disagrees with you.

Immersion-

If you still do not understand why your argument is flawed then nothing anyone says to you will change your mind because you clearly have your eyes and ears closed.
Also you are absolutely crazy if you think COD4 launched with more hype than Killzone 2. K2 had a massive worldwide add campaign behind it.
Your final flawed point is that gamers do not like Killzone 2 because it is different. When Halo:CE came out it completely changed the formula of fps shooters by adding rechargeable sheilds, revolutionary controls and a multitude of other factors yet the game did phenomonaly on a massively limited user base. If you think Killzone 2 changed the fps genre more than Halo then you are ignoring history.

I think your problem is that you are an elitist that thinks that everyone else is stupid and since Halo is popular then it must be a stupid game. The fact that Halo 3 is consistently the most played game on xbox live if not the world shows that Halo 3 has brought something to the table that no other fps has, bringing people back to play each and every week. Toyota is the most successful car company in America, is it because everyone is stupid and buys the same brand or is it because Toyota makes the most reliable, efficient cars on the market?

oh and I don't know about you but I can sure as hell jump and shoot a gun at the same time.

Especially when you are a genetically engineered hulk in powered armor.

Additionally: Nothing to me is more immersive than flying to another planet, storming a beach in a flying bathtub, getting shot down by lasers, and then shooting alien nazis in gas masks that help them breathe their own atmosphere with projectile weapons dozens of times before they will die.

KZ2 = REALISM

that's some pretty impressive calf muscles.

and i don't get what the deal with the landers was.  when i saw those things i thought, "now there is a logistical nightmare."  i get that the big ships couldn't land, but little platforms with handrails?  really?

They seemed kind of out of place in the "feel" of KZ, too...  I think they were going for a "Normandy Invasion" feel with the open top landers, but it ws sort of like "that.....  does not look safe."

And yes; Master Chief is on some kind of kangroo steroids.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

Mendicate Bias said:
uber said:
Mendicate Bias said:

Immersion-

oh yes, i'm the closed-minded one.  you who have given nothing but questionable assertions and no willingness to understand any of the many points brought about killzone is mr. enlightenment.

do you even check facts before you post?  you have no idea how hard you make it to take you seriously.  i'm not even sure what your thesis is, other than that you really really like halo and think killzone is bad.

let's see if i can shed some light on you.  killzone sales:  i thought i covered this thoroughly, but your response shows it still didn't sink in.   you know how many killzone commercials i saw before the game dropped?  one.  just one.  it was a prerendered scene with no gameplay footage.  and speaking of this "worldwide" campaign you spoke of, do you know what it was?  it was a few banners on gamer sites, the bullet commercial, and posters with a helghan mask on it.  the commercial did not impress at all like the cod ad did (not to mention it ran way more seldom than the cod one), and the poster had to be taken down in some parts of canada due to it scaring children.  so who is buying killzone?  people who followed the development or frequent gamer sites.  average gamers and kids would of course bought cod4 more readily.  and as far as my point about the game polarizing the shooter community, you assert that it was not because killzone was too different, but that it just must be because the game sucks.  this lack of ability to resolve distinction is the kind of thing i've been dealing with from you since this discussion started.  i actually researched this point, and people are quite willing to share their thoughts on the game.  sure enough, the overwhelming reason people gave when they didn't like it were the controls...which is the biggest difference the game represents.  they didn't like the fact that it doesn't have the snappiness that twitch shooters have.  i knew this, so i said this, and you just dismissed it like usual.

you listed a couple of things that halo 3 did to revolutionize fps, but the only one that actually was new was the forge feature.  if you read what people who like and didn't like it have to say they don't agree with you.  people who don't like it cite boredom and unoriginality as the reason.  they felt like it basically was a polished halo2.  people that do like it talk about how they love the online aspect.  once again the facts are consistent with what i've said all along, and you for some reason have resisted. 

you provide a definition of immersion that is somehow supposed to prove that it is entirely subjective.  i'm not impressed.  i know what the word means.  what you can't seem to grasp is that immersion is precipitated by actual, objective things a game can do.  i don't know of a game being totally immersive to one player and not at all to another.  everyone that i've played with has agreed to the basic premise that killzone manages to up the intensity way more than other shooters.  it's basically analogous to the distinction between simulation and arcade play.  killzone takes great pains to make the game feel more like a simulation.  i've given reasons why.  you have provided no valid counter beyond weak semantic arguments and red herring arguments.

i've given frank assessments of both games that cover their strengths and weaknesses.  you have done nothing but show that you have a grossly distorted view of both games.

i will say that the argument has not been a total loss, as many of the contributing posters seem to have weighed in as agreeing with the basic conclusion that one game is a great twitch shooter and the other is a great immersive shooter.

So another page of babble without giving a direct and coherent counter argument to any one of my points. If you still don't know why immersion is subjective after I gave you the definition of the word then I must conclude that you do not have a significant grasp on the english language or you simply do not have the mental capacity to comprehend abstract notions." i don't know of a game being totally immersive to one player and not at all to another". This statement is probably the most laughably incorrect thing in your entire straw man argument. I can name you a hundred people on this site that think rpg's are completely immersive and another hundred that hate rpg's because they can never become invested in the character or the stories. Your entire argument based around immersion is an utter joke as has been shown time and time again.

I also love how you use subjective experiences to throw blanket statements around like fact. You only saw one Killzone 2 commercial while you saw three COD4 commercials so that must mean Killzone 2 had a tiny add campaign. The stupidity of that argument baffles me.

Are you honestly saying that Killzone 2 changed the fps genre more than Halo:CE? Halo changed the entire dynamic of first person shooters by adding rechargeable shields amongst many other things. All killzone 2 did was make the controls feel more weighty. By your arguments Halo:CE should have done horrible since it was so different from what previous fps games offered. So why is it that Halo did so much better than Killzone 2?

Your saying the only innovation Halo 3 had was forge. In that case please tell me what other fps game has saved films, skulls or the equivalent of, screenshots, equipment, total integration with its mother site, 4 player co-op and anything close the massive amount of options for custom games.

I have not once said Killzone 2 is a "sucky" game, that has been you putting words in my mouth. It is in fact a very good game however it is seen by the vast majority of gamers to be a weaker game in comparison to Halo 3. You have shown quite extensively that you have a minimal understanding of fps game mechanics and you continually show your lack of a central debating position by repeatedly calling my statements "red herring arguments" instead of individually countering my points as I have done for you. This either means that you are simply on a defensive rant of your favorite game or you have no valid points to make. Either way you have shown your ineptitude at understanding the simplest of concepts.

if you honestly don't see any difference between immersion in a shooter and immersion in a rpg, then all hope is lost.  i'm not talking about immersion as, "man i am really into this game."  sorry, buy i have never known an rpg to make anyone's butt muscles clench.  you have to have a pretty weak grip on reality to ever feel like the character on screen is you.  fps were designed to make the players feel like the character.  the fact that you can even compare the fps genre with any other in terms of immersion really shows how ignorant you are. 

you have also changed the whole discussion.  the op was about comparing halo3 and kz2.  all my posts have been about that.  you however have sneakily tried to make this a halo ce vs kz2 argument.  that is very poor debating.  this tells me that you really know at some level that halo3 doesn't do all this revolutionary crap you would like to believe.  of course the first halo revolutionized the genre.  that was never the issue.

since you're intellectual  compass seems to be spinning without any rhyme nor reason i'll tell you this.

cut the bs dude.  tell me your thesis.  no more redundancy.   no more vagueness.  other than not understanding fps immersion and worshipping halo 3's mp, you've really not said much in the way of a thesis.  i have given concrete positions many times, and you are like trying to nail jello to a wall.  you arguments have been so convoluted so disorganized that sometimes it seems like being contrary is the only thing in common.

art is the excrement of culture

TheSteve said:
uber said:
TheSteve said:
Mendicate Bias said:

Immersion-

Especially when you are a genetically engineered hulk in powered armor.

Additionally: Nothing to me is more immersive than flying to another planet, storming a beach in a flying bathtub, getting shot down by lasers, and then shooting alien nazis in gas masks that help them breathe their own atmosphere with projectile weapons dozens of times before they will die.

KZ2 = REALISM

that's some pretty impressive calf muscles.

and i don't get what the deal with the landers was.  when i saw those things i thought, "now there is a logistical nightmare."  i get that the big ships couldn't land, but little platforms with handrails?  really?

They seemed kind of out of place in the "feel" of KZ, too...  I think they were going for a "Normandy Invasion" feel with the open top landers, but it ws sort of like "that.....  does not look safe."

And yes; Master Chief is on some kind of kangroo steroids.

i think that's exactly what they were going for.  how it managed to go from roundtable idea to actually in the game is beyond me.  from the altitude they dropped, how did they deal with the oxygen dep, or turbulence?

kangaroo cross-breeding?  ah that answers it!

i understand your reservations about the game, but the story in no way determines the level of simulation that the game tries to bring.  realism is not how possible or plausible a story is.  it's in the way it is told.  you know this.  you were just pissing on a brush fire. *wags finger*

If you've played Halo 1 and 2 and want to know what happens with Cortana and Master Chief after that get Halo 3. If you want to experience the best new shooter with the best graphics get KZ2.

Around the Network

my friend who doesn't read so well was very disappointed when he played halo. he said that there was almost no cooking at all in it. "he's called master CHIEF, dude."

just a little levity.

halo 3

uber said:
my friend who doesn't read so well was very disappointed when he played halo. he said that there was almost no cooking at all in it. "he's called master CHIEF, dude."

just a little levity.

Oooh... I get it...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

@ uber
Why are ALL your replies so long? puts most people off reading them! cut the chit chat and get to the point!

P.S, I found Killzone 2 to be pants hence why I returned it for a full refund, I found a can of paint to be more immersive than that excuse of a game, take away the snazzy graphics and your left with a poor mans COD 4 lol.....

if you make Halo 3 free but Kz2 is as fun as Halo 3 plus its free... so there