Forums - General Discussion - The Patriot Act protecting you

Around the Network

Can anyone find a source for this that isn't a YouTube video or a blog? I'd hate to say anything, only to have someone go "APRIL FOOLS" the very next minute. ^^

I thought Obama was for "Change"?

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:

Ah, come on. That's just stupid. One guy was arrested and who is to blame: Obama! I must call BULLSHIT on your comment!

But back to the Patriot Act - doesn't surprise me too much that this is used in a wrong way.

Tyrannical said:

Being that Obama choose Joe Biden as his running mate, and Joe Biden has one of the worst track records for protecting individual rights (and was an author of many similar bills to the Patriot Act in his career), I wouldn't expect Obama to really be making any changes in this area ...

Around the Network

The United States in general may say that they are a nation that protects peoples' rights, but if a group of people scares a nation enough (or if a group is capable enough to be a good scapegoat), then any nation, including the US, would be willing to forgo their Bill of Rights in the name of survival.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Also the kid is a fairly normal looking white boy. Which makes me wonder what the "bomb threats" were geared twoards. Perhpas they were "racialy" motivated.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.

Drudgereport picked up the story. Now I'm sure the kid either hates blacks or jews.

I'm confused, could someone please explain to me the jist of the patriot act does? I don't understand.

highwaystar101 said:
I'm confused, could someone please explain to me the jist of the patriot act does? I don't understand.

You're better of checking wikipedia for a "neutral" point of view on that.