By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Grand Slam Tennis or Virtua Tennis 2009?

Two upcoming Tennis titles with support for Wii Motion Plus.

At the moment it's tough to decide which to get but I'm leaning towards Grand Slam.

I like the stylized look better in Grand Slam Tennis, and I like its selection of players though it's a little skim on the women's side. It was interesting to see EA focus on players particular motions as some are so noticeable. I like that it presents the center courts of the major slams, though I have yet to see roland garros imagery, so I am not sure whether this title supports surfaces other than grass and hard. I like that it has licensed Wimbledon, but what does that mean in terms of the other slams? I was really impressed with videos online of the control mechanism, and I have yet to see anything for virtua tennis on player interaction.

Virtua tennis seems to be bundled with mini-games which is always a plus and a character customization to populate opponents that you could use to simulate the rest of the field of top players. I'm not sure whether Grand Slam Tennis supports either but if it did it would certainly rock the boat in their favor.

What's everyone else picking up? How torn are you? They release around the same time, and I think one is priced lower, though the other may come bundled with the Wii Motion Plus.

Around the Network

If you in the UK - Grand Slam Tennis because of Wiimotion plus. If you in America then pick anyone.

Since SEGA seems to be doing so many things right with House of the Dead: Overkill, Madworld and The Conduit and EA seems to be doing so many things wrong with MySims Party, Dead Space: Extraction, NASCAR Kart Racing and MySims Racing.. I hope Virtua Tennis does better commercially and critically than Grand Slam Tennis.

Pixel Art can be fun.

EA Sports is pretty much open about demonstrating GST's motion+ implementation, whereas SEGA haven't showed us how it works in VT.

Grand Slam Tennis' stylized graphics look good -- except for the awful grass courts -- whereas Virtua Tennis' graphics look really bad -- although the grass look good in this one.

EA Sports secured the more important tournaments and some pretty fantastic veteran players in addition to the current top players, whereas SEGA didn't told us anything about the tournaments although they also licensed the top current players.

So far, no mini-games were announced to Grand Slam Tennis while there are a lot available in Virtua Tennis -- not that I care, but I understand some people may like it.

Considering, both games offer online playing and character creation, it seems that GST has the edge right now. However, this is the kind of game where the one with the better controls will rule over the other. We will have to wait till some reviews are out.

I'm waiting for reviews before I make my decision.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Around the Network

Is it a better idea to get WM+ with these games or Wii Sports Resort?
I really don't know, since I'm not a big fan of sports games. But then again, I can just buy WM+ by itself, right? XD

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

dude17761991hatp said:
I'm waiting for reviews before I make my decision.

Me too,it could go either way.

I was all for Grand Slam Tennis until i saw a developer video for Virtua Tennis the other day which impressed me. Now i'm firmly planted on the fence and waiting to hear more.

@Hyperion: WM+ costs effectively 10 Eurodollarpounds if purchased with a game, compared to 20 by itself.

I'm waiting for reviews. I just don't know which one to trust, there's so many stupid reviews for Wii games.