By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming through the generations

Just out of curiosity, what have been your gaming platforms, and their comparitive uses (as an approximate %), through the last 3 gens (if you've been gaming that long)? And, why do you think you have chosen as you have?

For me:

PS1-60%, N64-5%, PC-35%

PS2-65%, PC-35%

PS3-85%, PC-15%

As for my whys, I'll cover them in my next post.

Around the Network

I can't say!!! It was 100% PC almost last gen, almost 100% console this gen but as for a split that really changes a lot!!!

Tease.

Right, for the whys: I bought the PS1 because two friends of mine had one and I wanted the games they were playing. I already played PC a great deal, but the PS1 quickly took over; the PC was soon relegated to MMORPGs and Bioware games. The N64 was bought for the Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye; I played little else on it.

When the PS2 came out, it was a sure buy as all the franchises I already knew and loved were already there and most weren't available on PC. I bought it about 2 years into its life, and it served as my DVD player for years. The XBox never tempted me as I already had a PC and most of its games were available there. The Gamecube never enticed me at all, and the Dreamcast similarly never registered on my radar.

Lastly, much like the PS2, the PS3 was a sure buy at some point (I bought it about a year into its life) as it again had all the franchises I knew and loved, most of which weren't available on PC; further, I'd now grown up as a gamer on the controller. Much like the Xbox, the Xbox 360 never really appealed as the majority of the games on it I could play on PS3 or PC, and the idea of a fee to play online made (and still makes) me cringe. The Wii has never registered as an option because it looks crappy on my TV; sure, it may be fun, but we already get tons of fun on our PS3 and PC, and we see no reason to have sub-HD nowadays (I borrowed a Wii for about a week; that was all it took to give it back). Even the PS3 is beginning to show its age when compared to our gaming PC. Perhaps I'll be tempted to have a Wii in the spare room on our 720p set, which the Wii doesn't look so bad on, but I'm not convinced as of yet.

So, that's me in brief. How about you?

1) N64 - 80% GBC - 20%
2) GC - 60% GBA - 40%
3) Wii (+VC) - 30% DS - 60% PC - 10%

PC-100%

PS2-30%, PC-50%, GC-15%, GBA-5%

360-90%, PC-5%, PSP-2%, DS-2%, iPhone - 1%

If I have time later I might write the brief like you.

Around the Network

Ah, yeah, PSP... I should really add that into the picture as well, although it will only register 5% in the current gen (I play it when travelling, normally). So a rejig of the current gen at:

PS3-80%, PC-15%, PSP-5%

1) PS1 35%, PC 35%, GB 30%

My cousin bought a PS1 and lent it to me when he had exams, I played FFVII, MGS1 and Tekken 3 to death (not to mention TOCA and Fifa 98). I had exams, PS gets taken away. Focus more game time on PC, mainly Age of Empires, Tomb Raiders and Half-Life... PC breaks and I don't get it back for ages... focus on my last remaining console... the Game Boy... Zelda and Final Fantasy Adventure take up most of my time until I get PS1 back.

2) PS2 40%, PC 60%

Played my PS2 religiously for ages, especially when FFX came out although this was mainly c'os my PC was outdated. Finally got a new PC that could play games and then my focus completely shifted. Also had my PS2 break on me which made me stop playing and when I went to Uni I didn't have a TV for my 1st yr so only had my PC. Played CoD1, Deus Ex, SW: KoToR, Neverwinter Nights, Soldier of Fortune 2, Age of Mythology etc.

3) PS3 40%, PC 40%, Wii 10%, PSP 10%

Again, got a new PC/upgrade, Oblivion was great :P. Got a Wii as my gf seemed to like it, played it heavily for a while... especially Zelda, but gradually lost interest, but go back to games sometimes. Got a PSP for Crisis Core and GoW, go back to PSP games every now and then. Got a PS3 as I heard they were getting rid of BC and use it to play all the PS3/console exclusives. PC for the rest of the multiplats.

Basically, I like PC gaming, and I buy consoles for the exclusives I can't get on PC.

Damn, I forgot GBA. That only took up 5% of my time though so:

2) PS2 40%, PC 55%, GBA 5%

Golden Sun was great.

Scoobes said:
Basically, I like PC gaming, and I buy consoles for the exclusives I can't get on PC.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I like console gaming, and I have a PC for all the exclusives I can't get on PS3.