By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 already maxed out? Lair devloper thinks so!

Am I the only one that saw the article in which Valve, who I think is one of the best game devs out there, said that although they were using about 94% of the 360's power with their current build of half life 2, they had no idea what the limit was for the PS3 since they weren't even using the SPUs. And to those who bash the people who were excited about Lair, shut up, it wasn't just sony fanboys who thought it would be good, many gaming critics who had played it at E3 (i think it was E3) were very excited about it.

Around the Network

@sieaner

no you dont know what your talking about, the ps3 GPU is just as good as the 360's GPU, UT3 started on the ps3 then is expected to be ported to the 360, you have to be blind to think that the 360 version will look almost the same. Im sorry but I have to say UT3 $hits on gears of war in the graphics department, and its the best looking ps3 game for this year, if not THE best looking game on any platform.

mM
Imyourvillain said:
Am I the only one that saw the article in which Valve, who I think is one of the best game devs out there, said that although they were using about 94% of the 360's power with their current build of half life 2, they had no idea what the limit was for the PS3 since they weren't even using the SPUs. And to those who bash the people who were excited about Lair, shut up, it wasn't just sony fanboys who thought it would be good, many gaming critics who had played it at E3 (i think it was E3) were very excited about it.

This argument already went down. Basically, Valve said they didn't know how much power was there - could be a lot, could be a little. Gabe Newell, the man who founded Valve, has more or less said the PS3 sucks on several occasions.

And there were plenty of critics who thought Lair looked like shit at gaming shows, unless you take major gaming site "previews" seriously.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

leo-j said:
@sieaner

no you dont know what your talking about, the ps3 GPU is just as good as the 360's GPU, UT3 started on the ps3 then is expected to be ported to the 360, you have to be blind to think that the 360 version will look almost the same. Im sorry but I have to say UT3 $hits on gears of war in the graphics department, and its the best looking ps3 game for this year, if not THE best looking game on any platform.

You base your conclusions on the false idea that Gears of War was the best Epic could do with the 360.

That's like saying Killzone 2 will suck because Resistance's graphics were the best the PS3 could do.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Well the developer that created resistance did not state that resistance maxed out the ps3's hardware to its full potential.

Epic themselves said the best they can do was with gears of war on the xbox 360. Im just going by there words.

mM
Around the Network
Hus said:

And GC most powerfull LMAO um theres was the xbox.

Do me a favour and find the bit where I ever actually said the GC was the most powerful console. I never said that.

I said it was a powerful console because it was, far more than the PS2 and slightly below, if not equal with the XBox, not in clock speeds but in architectures.

Also, I find it funny how you diss Factor 5 for 'aiming too high with complicated hardware they were unfamiliar with'. Shouldn't this be the kind of thing that anyone in their right mind would praise? How can games development evolve if developers don't push themselves to push the hardware they're working with, you constantly seem to contradict yourself.

They are just ruining their careers, sad in my mind

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
leo-j said:
@sieaner

A major reason why gears and UT3 look so damn good is intensive use of pixel shaders. The 360 can use all of its 48 shaders as pixel shaders. The RSX in the PS3 is limited to 28 pixel shaders. Simple math would tell you that UT3 has the potential to look better on the 360 since Epic can do more of what makes the game look good. The common concensus is that the Xenos is better than the RSX. And its not as good as the 360 via its PC shoehorned into a console design, whereas the 360s GPU was custom designed for the console from the start.

Cliffy B said that if Epic were to do a second gears of war, then it would look noticibly better than the first.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

lair is definitely not the ceiling of what the PS3 is capable of, factor 5 is not the dev team that will show us. they had one project, which they f&cked up, and Sony had to foot the bill. even their last couple games didn't measure up, so maybe the team should just be broken down.

leo-j said:
F5 never said that though, Im just responding to the topic. Although EPIC games did say they let out the maximum potential of the xbox 360 with gears of war!

(To answer your question BEN no UT3 will not look as good as the ps3 version(atleast according to epic since UT3 looks better than gears of war) )

There is no evidence that supports this topic.

Actually what epic said was that they will find more effective ways to use the same amount of processing power thereby increasing graphical performance whilst staying within the bounds of the 360's capabilities.  Add to this the fact that many 360 games (eg. Mass Effect, LO) already look better than gears, and you see that your argument is flawed.

On the other hand, the PS3 currently has no game (either released or with released media) that is more graphically impressive than Lair........ 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS