By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - ati hd 5870 and 5870x2 revealed

German site ATI-Forum probably scored a coup of 2009 - according to their sources, ATI's RV870-based cards are already out at selected partners.
We cannot say was this leak was a reaction on our joint-exclusive story about nVidia's GT300 architecture, but one thing is for sure - ATI wants to bring out their Cypress board as soon as possible - planned for July 2009.

The alleged specifications of RV870 reveal that this chip is not exactly a new architecture, but rather a DirectX 11-specification tweak of the RV770 GPU architecture. Just like nVidia's GT300 architecture, the actual RV870 chip is manufactured in TSMC's 40nm half-node process, packing more transistors than GT200 chips. Regardless of what ATI says about nVidia and large dies, the fact of the matter is that ATI is making a large die as well - but the company will continue to use the dual-GPU approach to reach high-end performance.

The RV870 chip should feature 1200 cores, divided into 12 SIMD groups with 100 cores each [20 "5D" units], while RV770 was based on 10 SIMD group with 80 cores total [16 "5D" groups consisting out of one "fat" and four simpler ones]. Thus, it is logical to conclude that when it comes to execution cores, not much happened architecturally - ATI's engineers increased the number of registers and other demanding architectural tasks in order to comply with Shader Model 5.0 and DirectX 11 Compute Shaders. The core is surrounded with 48 texture memory units, meaning ATI is continuing to increase the ROP:Core:TMU. For the first time, ATI is shipping a part with 32 ROP [Rasterizing OPeration] units, meaning the chip is able to output 32 pixels in a single clock.

When it comes to products, ATI plans to launch four parts: Radeon HD 5850 and 5850X2 in more affordable pricing bracket and HD5870 and HD5870X2 for the high-end parts. While there were no clocks for the Radeon HD 5850/5850X2 parts, alleged clocks for HD5870 and HD5870X2 reveal that for the first time, an X2 part is clocked higher than a single-GPU part. Was this a requirement of SidePort memory interface, we are not aware atm. German site Hardware-Infos placed all of the data in a very convenient table, which we are running here with permission. Their story also contains more data about the upcoming ATI RV870 architecture.

ATI 4870 vs 5870 table...courtesy of Hardware-Infos
These units should result in 2.16 TFLOPS for the HD5870 and 4.56 TFLOPS for the dual-GPU part. Yes, you've read correctly - we are going from 1TFLOPS chip to 4.6TFLOPS within 13 months. Is it now clear that CPUs are in a standstill when it comes to performance improvements? The biggest question though is - while there is no doubt that ATI pulled another miracle out of their hat with a brilliant on-time execution, releasing a 40nm part that will be relatively cheap to manufacture. BUT - can it beat nVidia's GT300 and by how much?

Some journalists allegedly have miracle 8-balls and claim that the ATI cards will blow nVidia out of the water. We are not so certain... stay tuned.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/4/24/ati-radeon-5870-and-5870x2-specs-revealed.aspx

Houston we just broke the 4 teraflop barrier in 13 months! and almost reached 1ghz core clock stock

Around the Network

Sounds good all except the part about the X2 cards being clocked higher than the single ones. VERY FISHY sounding. But we shall see. I love AMD/ATI so i cannot wait for the 5870X2 to replace my 3870X2.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Holy shit, ATi are on a roll here. I can't wait to see how the GT300 will perform, and more so compared to these cards!

Don't trust these... Remember the rumours about the HD 4770 'only' having 480 stream processors, when it turned out the chip infact had 800!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Don't trust these... Remember the rumours about the HD 4770 'only' having 480 stream processors, when it turned out the chip infact had 800!

if the same thing happened again, then that would be a powerful video card 

Around the Network
a12331 said:
Squilliam said:

Also even if the data is correct, clock speeds are subject to change right up to launch.

Unfortunately for those uber cards on a stick, you need a Core i7 to really drive the crossfire/sli setups. Thats Core i7 after an overclock I have to add. Add about 50% more performance to each core and you're really looking to be quite CPU limited!

Tease.

100% fake, It'll definitely have more than 1200 shader cores. I'm also pretty sure the GDDR5 will be clocked a lot higher. 7Ghz was reported capable last time I checked

Squilliam said:
a12331 said:
Squilliam said:

Also even if the data is correct, clock speeds are subject to change right up to launch.

Unfortunately for those uber cards on a stick, you need a Core i7 to really drive the crossfire/sli setups. Thats Core i7 after an overclock I have to add. Add about 50% more performance to each core and you're really looking to be quite CPU limited!

details details, we want bragging rights 

nvidia and ati release a new gpu every month!!!!

jonager said:
nvidia and ati release a new gpu every month!!!!

i know eh! how do they sleep at night? those bastards! I'll stab them!