By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps3: Component Or HDMI?

okay thanks for the responses, i will buy one soon =).

Around the Network

Buy a cheap HMDI cable via the VGChartz.com store on Amazon.com.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

You'll want HDMI 1.2 at lest, but 1.3 is better.

other then that real cheap cable are just as good over a short distance. digital ftw ^^

my friend swaps his xbox between cable and hdmi are you can notice a ever so slight grain on the component.

HDMI

Get one for 10 bucks.

i bought an hdmi cable for 3 bucks, the quality isnt worse at all in the picture than that of the expensive ones, its just that the wires arent as tough as the ones from lets say Monster. but of course what does that matter anyway, as long as you get the same quality picture.

Around the Network

HDMI is better. All the cables are pretty much the same. A cheap $9 cable is just as good as the monster cables. So for $9 its definatly worth the upgrade

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Buy a HDMI cable from monoprice.com. You can get varying colors for easier identification for like $5 and they are very good quality.

edit: of course, you aren't from the US, so I don't know if they ship to you or not.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Jo21 said:

there is a huge difference?.

i got a new LCD A LN32B450C4, i play over a cheap component cable, it's a good idea to upgrade to HDMI?

if so does 25$ should have the same image/sound quality as the 50$-70$ dollars ones ?

I picked up an HDMI cable for around $30 or so, plus tax.  If you can run HDMI, do it.  The sound quality is superior, for one thing.

akuma587 said:

If you have got HDMI, use it. A $5-10 cable will get the job done.  If you want hi-def audio and have a receiver for that, go with the $15-20 cable.  You are much more likely to find one that is HDMI 1.3 compliant in that price range.

HDMI provides other advantages besides just the increase in picture quality, like increased ability to upscale DVD's and various other options you wouldn't normally have access to.  You also have Blu-Ray playback options that you wouldn't otherwise have, like 1080P/24FPS playback.  Less wires as well.

Any HDMI calbe can be used with v1.3 if the length is under 15meters but it isn't guranteed. If you are only going 5-10 feet (2-3 meters) you should be perfectly fine with any cable.

Typically a quality $5 cable works just as good as a $100 cable. This is especially true for digital cables over short distances like HDMI. If we were talking running 100 ft lines of analog, or possibly high power cases (like for outdoor stages for 10k people crowds) then it would be another story.

I wouldn't suggest spending more than you have to, just make sure the cable has enough quality that it won't fall apart and you are good.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Screw HDMI sound wise go Optical. My opinion at least.

I've debated this myself, my DirecTV is hooked up on HDMI and my Xbox is hooked up on Component. But it is a gold platted component cable.. Dont' know if that matters. I think Component looks just fine on video games but as noted its better to have HDMI for upscaling DVDs. Also noted the bigger the TV the more noticeable the difference might be. I'm on a 57 inch projection and it looks fine to me. I saw my friends 40 inch 1080p using HDMI and obviously it looked a lot better but I can't decide if that was from A. using 1080p or B. HDMI or C. Smaller screen or D. all of the above.