By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata admits Wii's first half of 09 was very poor.

http://news.spong.com/article/17816/Nintendos_Iwata_Wii_Out_of_the_Closet

"· The definition of what can be called a videogame has become much broader. On the other hand, our principal in the videogame industry -- to develop “new” videogames in a broader sense which can surprise and make enjoy many customers as possible -- has not been changed as the main issue in “continuous expansion of gaming population”.

· From that viewpoint, we at Nintendo have to reflect on domestic Wii software deployment in the former half of this year. Like what had been to be released in the former half of this year was postponed to the latter, we were not able to reach the original goal – to regularly make new proposals.

· As for our deployment during the latter half of this year, I would like to announce on the other day as it is not today’s main topic. I would like to address that Nintendo recognize that we have been short of new proposals during the former half of this year, so far."

As for the last paragraph, I hope it's not PR talk. If he is telling the truth, then 2nd half 09 could be huge. 1st half 09 was perhaps the worst period ever concerning 1st party releases since I own Nintendo consoles. What made it that bad is that 2nd half 08 was pretty poor as well.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

we'll see at e3 i guess. i mean, if the head honcho starts admitting something, it usually means change for the better....or so i would like to believe.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Well.. he's admitting it so i'm expecting a kick ass second half!

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

nintendo releases on wii this year has been almost non existent so far, but some quality third party games made up for nintendo's absence in the first half of the year, let's see what they have at E3.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

It's great that they admitted this, it's the first step.

Now compelling software has to make it in the second half, and we may see the Wii rebirth from the ashes. Sales wise it's gonna have a really slow Q2, slowest quarter since 2007 perhaps.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Q2 evens out to be pretty good, but Q1 was damned dry. Kinda reminds me of the drought of Q1 2007.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

trestres said:
It's great that they admitted this, it's the first step.

Now compelling software has to make it in the second half, and we may see the Wii rebirth from the ashes. Sales wise it's gonna have a really slow Q2, slowest quarter since 2007 perhaps.

Admitting the problem, is the first step to recovery, would have sounded better. Anyway ps3 needs rebirth from the ashes, Wii just needs kick in the ass.

Interesting that sales are still better than last year even with the weaker lineup (except in Japan).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

hope more and good games coming

NJ5 said:
Interesting that sales are still better than last year even with the weaker lineup (except in Japan).

Wii sales are up about 550k YoY WW. With next weeks data Wii sales will be even if we expect 225k WW, because last year at that same week, Wii sold 750k.

After next week sales will be down YoY greatly, about 1 - 2 million total, until 2nd half rolls in. I still don't know if by year's end Wii will be up YoY from 2008, I don't think so, mainly due to this poor Q2.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies