By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if Nintendo made a mature title?

I know everyone has thought of this before but what if Nintendo came out with a Mature title.................. Who would you include in the game? What sytle gameplay? How do you think it would sell? Would you have Mario setting people on fire?Link slicing off arms or running people over with Epony?Samus blowing people up? What do you think?

Around the Network

Nintendo has published "Mature" before ... I suspect the reason why EAD (or another first party studio) doesn't make mature games is because the market for "Mature" titles is smaller (the number of units sold of "Eeveryone" and "Teen" games is far greater than the number of units sold of "Mature" games); on top of that most of Nintendo's designers probably have no interest in producing a "Mature" game so Nintendo would probably have to aquire a new studio to produce it.

Mature games don't market well? Maybe in Japan, but check the US List out: 1 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Take 2 8,056,000 - Mature 2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Take 2 7,733,000 Mature 3 Super Mario 64 Nintendo 6,839,000 Everyone 4 Grand Theft Auto 3 Take 2 6,399,750 Mature 5 Halo 2 Microsoft 6,061,250 Mature 6 GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 5,628,250 Teen 7 Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire Nintendo 5,617,500 Everyone 8 Mario Kart 64 Nintendo 5,460,000 Everyone 9 Halo Microsoft 4,844,500 Mature 10 Nintendogs Nintendo 4,414,250 Everyone 11 Madden NFL 2005 EA 4,297,750 Everyone Thats 33.1m units in the top 10 by Mature titles, 26.6m for Everyone and 5.6m for Teen rated titles. Thus there is a market for Mature titles when of the top 5 games, only 1 isn't mature. Nintendo wouldn't publish a mature game. Even if it would sell well, it'd possibly tarnish their image that they wouldn't want.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I have always talked about mature vs. kiddie games. My problem is when people take this literally. I really think that rating has no affect on game sales, this is all content. Like goldeneye (even though a port) I thought it was a mature game. I consider Pixar's The Incredibles a mature movie because of the content. The only reason GTA is up so high is most likely due to the fact that you get to play the anti-hero.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

First, thank you for posting. Second, both of you missed the point, i'm just saying if they did make one what would you like to see in it? True, Nintendo will most likely never do this but that's why this is one of those "What If" questions.

Around the Network

mrstickball said: Mature games don't market well? Maybe in Japan, but check the US List out: 1 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Take 2 8,056,000 - Mature 2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Take 2 7,733,000 Mature 3 Super Mario 64 Nintendo 6,839,000 Everyone 4 Grand Theft Auto 3 Take 2 6,399,750 Mature 5 Halo 2 Microsoft 6,061,250 Mature 6 GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 5,628,250 Teen 7 Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire Nintendo 5,617,500 Everyone 8 Mario Kart 64 Nintendo 5,460,000 Everyone 9 Halo Microsoft 4,844,500 Mature 10 Nintendogs Nintendo 4,414,250 Everyone 11 Madden NFL 2005 EA 4,297,750 Everyone Thats 33.1m units in the top 10 by Mature titles, 26.6m for Everyone and 5.6m for Teen rated titles. Thus there is a market for Mature titles when of the top 5 games, only 1 isn't mature. Nintendo wouldn't publish a mature game. Even if it would sell well, it'd possibly tarnish their image that they wouldn't want.
There are a lot of big hits that are mature titles ... but on the whole they do not sell as well ... Top 50 titles for 2006 http://www.vgcharts.org/ayearly.php?year=2006 : #1 Madden NFL 06 (PS2) #2 Nintendogs (Nintendo DS) #3 New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo DS) #3 Gears Of War (XBox 360) #4 Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) #5 Guitar Hero 2 (PS2) #6 Final Fantasy XII (PS2) #7 Madden NFL 07 (XBox 360) #8 Brain Age (Nintendo DS) #10 Wii Sports (Wii) #11 NCAA Football 07 (PS2) #12 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) #13 Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (XBox 360) #14 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2) #15 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) #16 Guitar Hero (PS2) #17 Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) #18 God Of War (PS2) #19 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (XBox 360) #20 Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (PS2) #21 WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (PS2) #22 Madden NFL 07 (XBox) #23 Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) #24 Call of Duty 3 (XBox 360) #25 Big Brain Academy (Nintendo DS) #26 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (Nintendo DS) #27 Cars (PS2) #28 Lego Star Wars (PS2) #29 Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PS2) #30 Scarface: The World Is Yours #31 Star Wars: Battlefront II (PS2) #32 Need for Speed: Carbon (PS2) #33 MLB 06: The Show (PS2) #34 Call of Duty 2 (XBox 360) #35 NBA Live 07 (PS2) #36 Black (PS2) #37 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PSP) #38 Fight Night Round 3 (XBox 360) #39 Saints Row (XBox 360) #40 NCAA Football 07 (XBox 360) #41 Halo 2 (XBox) #42 Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix (PS2) #43 Dead Rising (XBox 360) #44 Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) #45 The Godfather: The Game (PS2) #46 Yoshi Island 2 (Nintendo DS) #47 Fight Night Round 3 (PS2) #48 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Gamecube) #49 MVP 06 NCAA Baseball (PS2) #50 Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green (Nintendo DS) Edit 1: Call of duty was rated Teen Edit 2: Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter was rated Teen

Once again I think that goes back to what we consider mature. If it's a lack of family friendly or oft called "Kiddie" content, then Nintendo already does, as the Metroid series shows. But if yor're refering specifically to games that recieve an M rating. Then Nintendo would probably create a new IP for that. It wouldn't be a smart move for Nintendo to give a well known, family friendly franchise an M rated game, as they'd take a lot of heat for it. "When I bought my kids Mario Party 9, I had no idea it was now a sex party game!" Although it would be sort of funny to have an M option in SSMB. I'd quite enjoy the chance to rip Pikachu in half and watch his pokeblood shoot everywhere. As for what Nintendo would do, it could be any new IP. I'm pretty sure Disaster: Day of Crisis will be rated Teen, but a game like that could quite easily be made to be Mature.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

lol, maybe it just me but I think it would be cool to have a murder mystery game, like your shown pics of various murders and they all come from some Nintendo character, then your (some new IP from Nintendo) hunting them all down, RE 4 style gameplay it would be great but like you all said wouldn't be very smart for Nintendo.

stof said: Once again I think that goes back to what we consider mature. If it's a lack of family friendly or oft called "Kiddie" content, then Nintendo already does, as the Metroid series shows. But if yor're refering specifically to games that recieve an M rating. Then Nintendo would probably create a new IP for that. It wouldn't be a smart move for Nintendo to give a well known, family friendly franchise an M rated game, as they'd take a lot of heat for it. "When I bought my kids Mario Party 9, I had no idea it was now a sex party game!" Although it would be sort of funny to have an M option in SSMB. I'd quite enjoy the chance to rip Pikachu in half and watch his pokeblood shoot everywhere. As for what Nintendo would do, it could be any new IP. I'm pretty sure Disaster: Day of Crisis will be rated Teen, but a game like that could quite easily be made to be Mature.
I agree, but I think that Nintendo would (likely) find a small talented developer who has a great deal of interest to produce their mature title; sort of like Retro. To a certain extent I think Nintendo has been looking for a studio like this but has had difficulty; in 2005 Nintendo published Geist by N-Space which had a Mature rating, if Geist was a better game or sold better I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that N-Space was aquired by Nintendo.

It doesn't affect me in any way, the only title I've ever bought that has the rating of Mature is Oblivion (PC), and it was actually rated Teen at the time of purchase before the whole topless thing. Still silly, IMHO. Personally, I think even an excellent game with a Mature rating from Nintendo wouldn't do justice simply because, most american gamers at least, would probably refuse to even try it due to Nintendo's image. It would probably be taken more as a joke.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.