By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RE:UC - looking much improved (IGN)

Glad to hear that its finally coming together - the game sounds pretty cool (and different) actually.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/820/820307p1.html

I'll grab some of the quotes, visit the link for the full article:

"At E3 we went hands-on with the title only to find that, despite its promising design, Umbrella Chronicles was lacking in a few key areas. Now that we've got it in-office, however, we're noticing some definite improvement to the overall execution of Capcom's next survival horror game. Read on to find out why Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles is starting to win us over."

"In the past, Capcom's Resident Evil gun games (Survivor and Dead Aim, we're looking at you) weren't really the hottest titles on the market. Capcom tried to deliver a different experience, and instead made huge sacrifices to the game's horror and all-around "Resident Evil-ness." As a loyal RE fanatic I've played through both in their entirety, and if you're wondering if Umbrella Chronicles beats them out, we can already give you a resounding "yes" on that one. The reason for its success is precisely the same reasons why previous RE gun games failed; Resident Evil: Umbrella chronicles still feels like a true RE franchise game."

"Newcomers to the series are getting a moody, intense light gun adventure with tons of history and series tidbits sprinkled throughout to keep them in the loop, but what Umbrella Chronicles is really about is giving longtime fans a huge blast of nostalgia. After playing through over four hours of the game we've playfully renamed it as "Resident Evil: Fan Service," as it's almost as much of a tribute to the franchise as it is a full game."

"This time around, however, there are some great strides being made. Zombies react to shots a lot more, as they'll actually pull back on a shoulder shot, drop to their knees if pegged below the waist, or blow backwards with a well-placed headshot. The "critical hit" areas are still too touchy though, and seem to be no larger than a few pixels each, so even though you're hitting the undead in the forehead, you're not hitting him in the right part of the forehead. We could stand to have that be a bit more forgiving.

To the game's credit though, the entire experience feels a bit faster than it did last time we played it. Zombies rush at you, every enemy in the game is aggressive and pretty brutal with attacks, and there's a definite feeling of anxiety when we whip around through the levels at quick speeds. Nearly every light in the game can be shot, darkening the world in real-time as you'd expect, and since so many power-ups and secrets in the game are found by destroying objects - if you're smart you'll use pistol most of the time for "exploration" shots - you'll constantly be wanting to blast everything in the room. In our first playthrough this time around we ended up creeping our way through the original Resident Evil mansion in near pitch black."

"The destruction aspects of the game also lead to some other interesting aspects of Umbrella Chronicles as well. Since the game is meant to be a look back on the history of Resident Evil, many of the items you're picking up in-level are bonus items on events and characters, rather than actual game-affecting power-ups. Virtually any pot, painting, barrel, crate, box, or destructible object in the world could hold either grenades, ammo, herbs, first aid spray, new weapons, or umbrella shields. When picking up the shields, however, you're actually earning post-level awards, so investigation might get you the official character profile for Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield, a journal-like synopsis of Tyrant, or even a photo and description of "the crank" from the original Resident Evil. This adds another level of depth to the game, as hardcore RE fans will want to find every file on every level, and literally complete the "Umbrella Chronicles" 100%."

Its a good read...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

^^ Really looking forward to this; I trust IGN a lot, so it's good news.

Obviously RE5 will be a superior game because of graphics.

That's good that it's shaping up. I was listening to one of the Wii-k in reviews last week and they were pretty worried about the game.  They had put it in the we're only going to play if we have to and we're still going to try to pawn the game off on someone else catagory and now maybe it will actually get in the we would like to play catagory.

Sweet! Really looking forward to this one. I've had trouble getting into the earlier games because my aim is great with a mouse, but I'm an idiot when it comes to FPS with dual analog. Wii fixes that problem for me.

Around the Network

IGN always give awesome previews...

Wow so when I purchase my Wii in the coming weeks. This will be one of the many titles on the Wii I will be looking forward too!!!!

OriGin said:

Sure they do, if you have selective memory and really want to believe that they do. In reality, if they are able to get good access to a game throughout it's growing stages(or lack thereof) they set your expectations to where they should be. I'm glad that RE: UC is improving. I really hope they pull it all together in time and don't shove it out the door just to make the holidays.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

quigontcb said:
OriGin said:

Sure they do, if you have selective memory and really want to believe that they do. In reality, if they are able to get good access to a game throughout it's growing stages(or lack thereof) they set your expectations to where they should be. I'm glad that RE: UC is improving. I really hope they pull it all together in time and don't shove it out the door just to make the holidays.

That's why they're awesome previews...because they get early, extensive access to lots of games throughout various stages...thus letting us know how the game is coming along...and they describe everything in great detail.

You can say all that...or you can just say "IGN always gives awesome previews"...I don't see how the two are different.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Capcom needs to bring more of their franchises to the Wii.
An Onimusha game with 1:1 weapon control wold be great.
Dead Rising, Lost planet, would also benefit with the precise aiming of the Wiimote.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>