By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who here thinks ps3 is Sonys' last videogame console?

Reasonable said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Reasonable said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Reasonable said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BobSaget said:

The PS3 maybe considered a failure compared to past success. However Sony is still a very popular and they will have learned from the past with the PS4.

How many times do I have to tell you people that Sony didn't learn a thing? They knew they weren't going to be in first because they sacrificed the PS3 for Blu Ray. Sony even said it at the beginning of the gen when they told everyone about the price. Do you think they were innocent in all of this? Fuck...lol.

I'd say the opposite was true.  Sony were so sure the PS3 was going to win they put BR in to try for a double win with both the console and the format.  I doubt they figured PS3 would fail so stick in BR anyway - what would be the point of that?  You wouldn't imagine it would ensure BR victory in the format war, would you?

I believe they figured Nintendo had no chance after the Gamecube and saw MS as a threat to head of by pushing out a high spec console to match their approach - i.e. they'd get the traditional audience plus steal the audience MS was growing with the Xbox/Live.

Instead they got caught both ways - Nintendo came out the traps like gangbusters and the delay to market for PS3 let the 360 grab a vital lead in US/UK market with the shooter/online crowd.

Doesn't mean they won't learn their lesson for a PS4 though - at the end of the day, whatever people say, you don't end up with the sales of PS1/PS2 by accident or because you don't know what you're doing.

In some ways I feel it's MS who still have the most to prove - they've shown steady growth since the first Xbox launched, but never a real surge that indicates they could reach PS1/PS2/Wii heights of HW sales.  Of course, if they can keep the growth pattern strong then while this gen they won't be first they could have a shot the following gen.

I never said they knew the PS3 would fail. I stated that they knew it wouldn't be in first because of the price. Sony isn't a stupid company. Wanna know what they didn't expect? They didn't expect Microsoft to be in second and them in third.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference.  If Sony really thought the PS3 wasn't going to be first then with track record of PS1/PS2 they were essentially expecting it to fail vs the competition, no?

Sure they knew the price was high but at the time their was little reason to believe it still wouldn't be in first place.  360 was doing okay in US/UK but looked pretty weak elsewhere, particularly Japan, while Nintendo was coming of the low sales (by comparison to PS1/PS2) of the Gamecube.  It seems to me from the evidence of the time (their press releases, etc.) that they thought they'd outstrip the Wii pretty quickly and overtake the 360 lead soon enough.  Totally wrong of course.

The PS2 wasn't cheap at launch either, so even historically the evidence was they could launch with a high price, cut production costs then grow on the base of a big ownership base and high SW sales.  I believe they thought the double wammy of an HD console plus BR would make the price paletable, and were counting on HD TV / BR adoption to help the console.  Again, totally wrong.  360 went from strengh to strength in US/UK and then Others and even made a few blips in Japan.

The Wii growth needs no mention.

In short, I think Sony were caught with their pants down by the competition - nasty for them and they paid the price (or have so far anyway).

I just really doubt they thought PS3 would be anywhere but in number 1.

The PS2 wasn't cheap at launch, but it wasn't at the price the PS3 was. Standard DVD prices were starting to go downward and the PS2 also helped put a nail in the coffin for VHS.

Sony didn't get caught with their pants down. They pulled their pants down and said "$599 bitch...get a job!"-Kaz Hirai

Lol - that was a good quote, wasn't it?  I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree as in many ways I see that as proving my point - they were just too confident and sure of success.

The PS2 was $299 at launch in US, something like that, right?  In 2000 that was a fairly intimidating amount.

$299 in 2000 was not an intimidating amount. The US was enjoying a fairly good economy after the Clinton administration (despite the neglect of real estate prices). Peoples jobs were in good standing.

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
Jeronimo66 said:

The thing that suprised sony was microsofts early launch, I remember both sony and nintendo being upset with microsoft for launching early.

If 360 would have launched in 2006 who knows what the sales of 360 and ps3 would look like today.

Oh i am glad i have the chance to tell you that. If 360 was launched in the same year PS3 was it would be:

360: 18 million

PS3: 21 million

Don't forget ps3 still would have launched at 500 and 600 vs 360s 300 and 400, so I am not sure about those numbers, one thing is for sure sales would be close.

I'm gettin tired of seeing these trolling threads of ps3 from you dude
This will not be Sony's last console seriously grow up

"She said I'm F**kin Awesome!"

"Gurl don't be afraid, I just wanna cut, U can call me a squirrel, I'm just tryna get my nuts"

"Here's some daily science... The World revolves around the sun, not you!"
CommunistHater said:
Sony investors better not approve another one for many years

Might be wise not to approve. Especially if they try to offer another one with cell.

@ S.T.A.G.E.

Why do you think MS is going to continue winning against Sony because of their money? Sure they have a lots of money now, but what when they dont have the money to spend on DLCs and exclusives??? They will have to make the games for themselves like Sony and Nintendo are doing.

Around the Network
Jeronimo66 said:
BladeOfGod said:
Jeronimo66 said:

The thing that suprised sony was microsofts early launch, I remember both sony and nintendo being upset with microsoft for launching early.

If 360 would have launched in 2006 who knows what the sales of 360 and ps3 would look like today.

Oh i am glad i have the chance to tell you that. If 360 was launched in the same year PS3 was it would be:

Don't forget ps3 still would have launched at 500 and 600 vs 360s 300 and 400, so I am not sure about those numbers, one thing is for sure sales would be close.

Actually, those numbers are right:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

No,Playstation brand is too strong to drop.

Hmmm
Wow it does seem that those numbers are correct
Now can all this bashing of the ps3 stop seriously

"She said I'm F**kin Awesome!"

"Gurl don't be afraid, I just wanna cut, U can call me a squirrel, I'm just tryna get my nuts"

"Here's some daily science... The World revolves around the sun, not you!"
Conflict_Beast said:
Hmmm
Wow it does seem that those numbers are correct
Now can all this bashing of the ps3 stop seriously

Exactly,the PS3 is double the price of the 360 arcade too.

BladeOfGod said:
Jeronimo66 said:
BladeOfGod said:
Jeronimo66 said:

Actually, those numbers are right:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

Oh well, that didn't happen.