By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGchartz's Demon's Souls thread

It's hard to explain. I actually really like the graphics, though they have been described by some to be less than stellar. My only complains are the frame dips and lack of shadows. There's no screen tearing, at least, which is awesome. The music is also a nice fit for the game, and is only there when it needs to be.

The voice acting is great. It really fits the characters, though they're can be some strange pauses between words occasionally.

There isn't much story, but it does what it needs to do, and the NPCs, given their small numbers, feel more fleshed out than those in a game like Oblivion. Usually when I say "does what it needs to do". that's not really a good thing, but the story really works with Demon's Souls, for what it is.

To be honest, I love the game. I'm not sure why, because it many ways it seems like a game I'd hate. I've always had trouble getting into more Western RPGs, and I usually give up on tough games after just a few hours. I'm over 30 hours into Demon's Souls, however, adn still going strong.

Tbh, I think what I love about the game is the combat and the general setting. The combat is extremely simple, yet quite deep. You really have to learn how to use the combat system well in any situation to survive. Your character also has a rather heavy feel to him, and the animations are nice. I think I love they way they've really tried to capture the feel of a knight roaming around in a medievil-ish setting, and they've done the job superbly. I also love how it's an RPG that doesn't really bog you down with a bunch of numbers and stats. Yeah, you can upgrade your weapons and increase your stat points, but just as crucial as either of those things is learning the combat, learning your enemies, and just playing smart.

I'm more of a casual RPG gamer, but I love this game.

Overall, I'd tie it with Uncharted as my third favorite ps3 game. That may change over time, as I get deeper into the game, and as my opinion has time to grow and deepen.

I'd say my list of preferred ps3 titles looks like this, at the moment:

LittleBigPlanet
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted
Demon's Souls
Killzone 2

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
makingmusic476 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
makingmusic476 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
I have some moneys for a game...

Wondering if I should buy this or wait for inFamous/Motion Plus.

I honestly don't think you have the balls for this game.  :P

Is it unfairly tough like Shinobi or tough because you suck like Ninja Gaiden?

It's not cheap.  It makes you learn.

And it's often epic in its toughness.  I get quite a few "oh shit" moments when I first encounter a new boss, or when I stumble upon things that I don't even have to fight, like the dragons in 1-1 and 1-2.

And it seems my reverse psycology didn't work.  I was hoping my comment would've spurred you to buy the game immediately.  :P

Is the story any good? What about graphics, music etc? How would you rank it compared to other PS3 games?

The story is interesting. Not the best by any means, but something you haven't seen before.

The distant environments looks photo realistic, but the textures are pretty rough.

Music alright, but the voice acting is downright amazing. I still get chills listening to the Maiden of Black.

The appeal is in the tough, but addicting gameplay with awesome co-op. I really reccomend it to anyone looking for a fun RPG. Just be prepared to learn how to play.

It's like Ninja Gaiden in hardness, you can beat, you just have to learn how to fight the many different types of enemies and which character class fits your play style.

I love her voice.

*swoons*

"Diehard GameFAN - Mediocre (note: complains about the difficulty)"

Anybody else find that very ironic?

Damn. I juest checked eBay and the cheapest one is $75 (plus $19 postage) with 18 bids and still 2 days left ._.

I dunno... I don't wanna spend a hundred bucks only to get pissed off and never touch it again. I'm really interested, but this seems like a rent first game to me.

But PAL release must be way off (if ever) ;_;

makingmusic476 said:
outlawauron said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
makingmusic476 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
makingmusic476 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
I have some moneys for a game...

Wondering if I should buy this or wait for inFamous/Motion Plus.

I honestly don't think you have the balls for this game.  :P

Is it unfairly tough like Shinobi or tough because you suck like Ninja Gaiden?

It's not cheap.  It makes you learn.

And it's often epic in its toughness.  I get quite a few "oh shit" moments when I first encounter a new boss, or when I stumble upon things that I don't even have to fight, like the dragons in 1-1 and 1-2.

And it seems my reverse psycology didn't work.  I was hoping my comment would've spurred you to buy the game immediately.  :P

Is the story any good? What about graphics, music etc? How would you rank it compared to other PS3 games?

The story is interesting. Not the best by any means, but something you haven't seen before.

The distant environments looks photo realistic, but the textures are pretty rough.

Music alright, but the voice acting is downright amazing. I still get chills listening to the Maiden of Black.

The appeal is in the tough, but addicting gameplay with awesome co-op. I really reccomend it to anyone looking for a fun RPG. Just be prepared to learn how to play.

It's like Ninja Gaiden in hardness, you can beat, you just have to learn how to fight the many different types of enemies and which character class fits your play style.

I love her voice.

*swoons*

Me too!

@ Okey

Well, I was lucky enough to even get a copy. If you grab one, I highly suggest you do.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Ya know, I don't find it frustrating in its difficulty at all, really.

I've just gotten used to dying, I suppose, and it doesn't mean much for me if I occasionally get sent back to an archstone. And it's happening less and less for me.

Unlike other games, where one more death might push me over the edge.

Don't worry. I still haven't figured out what to do either, lol.

axumblade said:
makingmusic476 said:
Ya know, I don't find it frustrating in its difficulty at all, really.

I've just gotten used to dying, I suppose, and it doesn't mean much for me if I occasionally get sent back to an archstone. And it's happening less and less for me.

Unlike other games, where one more death might push me over the edge.

i'm just wondering why I can't get into 1-3....I'm frustrated because I want to go in there. :[

you need to beat any of the following before you can get in there: 2-3, 3-3, 4-3, 5-3. it isn't easy, you don't want to go in there yet.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

you know that red knight i told you to avoid for now? there's 3 you have to fight at once on that level. lol

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
you know that red knight i told you to avoid for now? there's 3 you have to fight at once on that level. lol

Oh shit.  That guy is still trouble for me.  If he gets in three hits before I can heal, down I go.

Having three come at me at once would not end well.