By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does It Make Sense To Tout a Console's Sales?

Does it make sense for a console fan to tout sales as an end all metric?  For instance, Toyota Camry is supposedly the best selling car in America.  Would it make sense for a Camry owner to brag to a Corvette owner that their vehicle is selling better?  How does that change the fact that when both are pushed, the Corvette whoops it's @ss?  The Camry maybe easier to drive at mildly fast speeds, but the Corvette is only way to achieve much faster speeds.  The Corvette requires you to put some effort in learning how to make use of it's power, while the Camry requires less skill.  So, does it make sense to tout a console's sales as a big thing?  If you think it does, please explain why.

*Replace Camry and Corvette with X360 and PS3 respectively.

Around the Network

Well, comparing consoles to cars isn´t really good...they´re 2 very different things.

yes. that way gamers know what people are buying, how many have and where more 3rd party suport "should" go to

people show offf too much..

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

What a horrible, horrible analogy. Is that really all you could come up with?

I would say it's perfectly fine to analyze and cheer console sales. It lets us know about the health of the industry. It assists in making informed choices. Would I be purchasing Modern Warfare 2 this Fall if the last two titles sold 10K a piece? Nope. Because there would be nobody to play with me.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

it's different, because for consoles, better sales mean more software to choose from.

for cars, more sales doesn't really help the consumer.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

vonboysp said:
it's different, because for consoles, better sales mean more software to choose from.

for cars, more sales doesn't really help the consumer.

At this point, it's not different.  There is too much of an install base for 3rd party devs to ignore, so the analogy seems just right.  More sales don't really help the consumer.  As 3rd party developers' worldwide earnings show, the revenue percentage is close.

People don't release new software for cars. With a car, you buy it, and that's that. With a console, you buy it, and if a lot of other people buy it, it attracts good games.

Why do PS3 fanboys always depict the Xbox 360 as some family car whilst depicting the PS3 as some sports car? Its like they are compensating for something.

In any case the closest analogy is the WRX + STI vs Evo

Tease.

Doesn't matter... Either way, it will happen. I don't think it's a good idea to compare cars to consoles... We have 3 main consoles and way too many auto dealers...

4 ≈ One