By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlawauron's Final Fantasy XIII Demo Impressions

"Voice acting - Not only is the voice acting superb, but everyone is voice acted. Seriously, every NPC I ran into talked to me. Square said they are adding subs to the final version, but I loved the effort into getting VA for every character."

When you say subs, do you mean ENGLISH subs???

If so, I will import the Japanese version in a heartbeat!

Screw waiting for the U.S. PS3 version while they try like hell to make this game work on 360

Around the Network
mztazmz said:

"Voice acting - Not only is the voice acting superb, but everyone is voice acted. Seriously, every NPC I ran into talked to me. Square said they are adding subs to the final version, but I loved the effort into getting VA for every character."

Screw waiting for the U.S. PS3 version while they try like hell to make this game work on 360

Ditto

Munkeh111 said:
Good to see so many good things, especially with so long left until release.

Yeah, not having a menu is not good, but that must be just a demo thing, I can't think of any reason for it not being there

I haven't liked Sazh from the start, but they say they are going to introduce a system of control nearer the time (not gambits) which should make him more relevant

He is definitely funny. He is just completely useless in combat.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

SHMUPGurus said:

What about the framerate? It's worse than the Unreal Engine. I couldn't believe it when I watched the videos on Gamersyde (best quality I've seen IMO, so it can't be the recording).

Other than that, the battles look alright (I'm so glad they picked "the music" for them as well), though I'm a bit disappointed they went back to turn-based. It looks a bit like Xenogears, which is not bad thing, but the weird thing about the battles is that you only control one character. What's up with that? Does this mean Gambits are back (heck yes if true)?

Like you said, Square better make you have more control over your party in the full version, or I don't know what to think about this battle system.

Last question, where did you acquire this demo? Did you buy Advent Children Complete? o_O

I didn't have too many issues with dropped framerates. Even with the crazy magic and your teamates during there thing, I'd say that it didn't get any worse SO4 has gotten for me. I definitely haven't had too many problems with it.

And they didn't go back to turn based, FF12 was turn based with the illusion of being real time. This has the same feel but you don't have direct control of movement during battles. (i.e. the left stick does not move your character)

And yes you only completely control your character in the demo, but I could tell my teammates who to attack or to heal me. Again, I couldn't delve too much into the tactics part with the lack of a menu.

And I imported FF7: ACC.

TruckOSaurus said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
Talk about good news and bad news!
I loved the battles system in X-2 but hated that i didnt have control over party members in XII (i hate them F%$#ing Gambits!)

I think outlawauron was saying that you can't actually move your character while in combat not that you don't have control over your other party member but maybe I got that wrong...

outlaw care to expand on this please?

Sure.

Your teammates mostly act on their own, but you can direct them around a bit. I really didn't need to, because they were pretty intelligent. (I never died because I was kept in high health from party members and I got some good chains going)

And yes, you can't directly control your party member's movement while in combat.

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
Xen said:
If there were problems, he'd say, don't you think?

Who knows. Apparently, some people can't notice drops when they're playing. I know I won't have trouble noticing them when the game releases, and I'll complain about it like people did to The Last Remnant and Lost Odyssey. It's things like this that made those games underrated, especially The Last Remnant which I find amazingly good (I played it on PC though... Still, my point remains because it is still the same core game).

@ darthdevidem01: Really? I've seen it on GameTrailers and IGN as well... so I doubt it's the recording. I seriously doubt it.

I noticed the drops in both Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and The Last Remant. This has a better framerate than all of those games.

hatmoza 2.0 said:
mztazmz said:

"Voice acting - Not only is the voice acting superb, but everyone is voice acted. Seriously, every NPC I ran into talked to me. Square said they are adding subs to the final version, but I loved the effort into getting VA for every character."

Ditto

To clarify. No, they are going to be japanese subtitles. That way you can still tell what they are saying if you have the volume down, etc.

Alrighty. Thanks for the information! =P

What I meant by turn-based is that you now have to enter battles like the old times. I guess I used the bad word here... Still, I have to say it won't be that bad this time because the loadings seem to take less than a few seconds.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SHMUPGurus said:

What I meant by turn-based is that you now have to enter battles like the old times. I guess I used the bad word here... Still, I have to say it won't be that bad this time because the loadings seem to take less than a few seconds.

There isn't a load for the battle. You pull out your sword, it zooms in on the enemies and then it zooms out to you. That's it and it happens in the matter of 2-3 seconds.

axumblade said:
makingmusic476 said:
My copy should be arriving next week. =)

Thoguh I'm still not quite sure why I ordered it. >_>

Demon's Souls should be arriving soon too!

Either you got caught up in the hype or the opportunity. Either reason works well. :p

I don't think I helped. He asked me to convince to not get it, and I convinced to get it.

outlawauron said:
SHMUPGurus said:

There isn't a load for the battle. You pull out your sword, it zooms in on the enemies and then it zooms out to you. That's it and it happens in the matter of 2-3 seconds.

Wait... Since when does a few seconds =/= 2-3 seconds? o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!