By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My XBox 360 vs PS3 comparison (mostly technical)

@ Darc Requiem

The Cell in the PS3 is down 2 SPEs. One is dedicated to the OS and one is disabled to increase yields.

As if, OS performance usage is wasted...

IMO it makes sense to dedicate one SPE to the OS at this point while they are adding features. You act as if the developers are already maxing out the 6 other SPEs while in fact they are only scratching the surface and various multiplatform games and Genji 2 (which is visually impressive using only the PPE and RSX) are yet to use the SPEs.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Shouldn't have started this post without one of these...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

MikeB said:
@ Caey

The console with the most GigaFlops turns out to be the Giantic Flop...

Comparing the data, then the XBox 360 was a gigantic Flop last year as well. Honestly we are so early in this generation, the most anticipated PS3 games haven't even been released yet. The PS2 won last year and chirstmas with convincing numbers and is still doing well. If you put the PS2 and PS3 global sales figures together Sony is still performing very well within the market of home consoles (the overall market seems to be expanding compared to last year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I do have one thing to add, and I'm not reviewing every post to check that this has or hasn't been said. After reading your post, I noticed you mentioned the launch of the wii as "Much hyped" where initially the PS3 had a LOT more hype following it up until after their respective launches.

starcraft said:
MikeB said:
@ gebx

Well so far all we've received from the PS3 is a 6 hour action game, and a Giant uncontrollable... Ostrich...

You are probably talking about Heavenly Sword and Lair. Heavenly Sword provides some excellent visuals and has its impressive moments with thousands of troops on screen. I haven''t played Lair yet, but there are techically impressive moments in this game as well judging from videos. Also recently Warhawk was released which received many lofty reviews, it's a good multi-player game but unlike others on a larger scale as you can fight with Warhawks high up in the sky. I like game diversity and that's something I expect to see more on the PS3 than on the XBox 360.

However these are just some first generation exclusives, many more are yet to come. Please note that the development of high budget games often take huge development teams and multiple years to complete. For example mature dev kits weren't even available since a few months before the PS3 launched.

Yet IMO Super Stardust HD already shows off some great PS3 potential, I am currently ranked within the top 100 and I can say this game is very impressive!

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=1

This link offers a more unbiased, non-partisan and accurate examination of the two consoles, highlighting the strenghts and weaknesses of the two consoles.

Its interesting that when discussing blu-ray you failed to mention the incredible shortness and lack of depth to this years flagship title for PS3, Heavenly Sword.

Furthermore, you failed to discuss Sony's apparent inability to produce near lossless compression like Microsoft can, which is easily seen when examining the company's comments regarding the size of titles like Motorstorm and Killzone 2.

You also offer an incredibly biased view of the online capabilities of each console. I noticed you lacked links in this section, presumably because almost every single gaming site heralds Xbox Live as a gaming revolution and stating that with the PSN you get what you pay for.

Also, when discussing the PS3's blu-ray capabilities you referenced one or two sites that complement its media software, ignoring the many that claim it is far from perfect. Furthermore, you ignored the recent progress of HD DVD and the emergence of online distribution and two more hard-copy formats, which sounds very much like your prematurely recommending an expensive format that may become obsolete.

Ignoring your many inaccurate comments about the Wii's gameplay capabilites, which far exceed those of the PS3 based on all currently-available games (and no, i dont own a Wii), you offer an accumulation of the price of many peripherals with the Xbox 360 console. Im unsure where you were trying to go with this, except to say that you appear to think Sony was right to make its loyal fans pay extra money for featues they dont need and which may become obsolete.

All in all I hope you and your Wife are enjoying your NDS's, because it sounds a bit like your missing anything enjoyable to play onyour PS3, and i sense a little bit of desperation in your highly biased attempts to justify your purchase.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

@ souixan

I do have one thing to add, and I'm not reviewing every post to check that this has or hasn't been said. After reading your post, I noticed you mentioned the launch of the wii as "Much hyped" where initially the PS3 had a LOT more hype following it up until after their respective launches.

I agree there was a lot of hype for both platforms, but my point was that the PS3 also had to deal with an interesting much hyped competitor while the XBox 360 competed only with the much older GameCube and PS2. Although according to CNET the XBox 360 had the most hyped launch for the US, beating the Nintendo Wii as well as the PS3 in this regard. I guess Microsoft already earned experience from hyping the technically unimpressive "Microsoft Windows 95" in the past.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ starcraft

Note the article contains some errors and outdated information. Such as:

"In IBM’s controlled testing environment, their optimized code on 8 SPE only yielded a performance number of 155.5GFLOPS."

IBM already achieved near 100% efficiency during testing like I pointed out earlier.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ starcraft

Note the article contains some errors and outdated information. Such as:

"In IBM’s controlled testing environment, their optimized code on 8 SPE only yielded a performance number of 155.5GFLOPS."

IBM already achieved near 100% efficiency during testing like I pointed out earlier.

The other posts have already pointed out the many errors in your post, not to mention the lack of any credible sources to back your ideas.

Even if we accept your biased and largely unfounded ideas however, you conveniently ignore the constant developer statements that go to the difficulty of developing for the PS3, and the likelyhood that most of its power will never be tapped due to a poor architecture for gaming.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@ starcraft

Apart from mistakes, some funny arguments in the article:

Maybe Blu Ray will lead to longer games? Blue Dragon for the 360 has over 40 hours worth of gameplay and Elder Scrolls Oblivion has over 120 hours worth of gameplay.

So? The game Elite for the Amiga came supplied on a double-density diskette, containing lifetimes of gameplay with 281,000,000,000,000 galaxies to explore!

You can keep storage requirements down by for example re-using game assets for different levels or areas. You can create random alterations using procedural synthesis, etc. I guess Blue Dragon uses fewer of such techniques than Oblivion does. That doesn't by any means give any indication of future storage requirements! At first 1 diskette could easily fit most Amiga games, later on there were even games released on over a dozen disks (thus the usage of CDs became a benefit, adventure games which took over 10 double density discs could be stored on just one CD, with added improvements such as the inclusion of CD quality speech).

With regard to DVD we are talking about PS2 games which were taking up a full dual layer DVD, IMO it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that with 7.1 audio, localized speech and 1080p visuals DVD would be a severe limiting factor for the long run, even a 50 GB Blue-Ray disc can easily become a limiting factor in due time.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Caey

The console with the most GigaFlops turns out to be the Giantic Flop...

Comparing the data, then the XBox 360 was a gigantic Flop last year as well. Honestly we are so early in this generation, the most anticipated PS3 games haven't even been released yet. The PS2 won last year and chirstmas with convincing numbers and is still doing well. If you put the PS2 and PS3 global sales figures together Sony is still performing very well within the market of home consoles (the overall market seems to be expanding compared to last year).

You have to look at what the expectations are from the manufacturer that puts a product on the market, products like Zune are just there to counter apple a bit but sells not enough. But microsoft will keep on introducing new models untill they have a decent market share, m-maybe 10-15%.

Microsoft did the same with the XBox, it wasn't made to conquer the market, it was made to introduce a new player into the market. Now they already have a 40%marketshare, that brings microsoft from a point where they expected to make a loss for 10-15 years to a point where they will are almost making profit. Thats what i call succes.
If you look at the PS3 it was meant to have a install base from where Sony could distribute media to consumers, it was meant to do so with Blue-Ray drives and online services. But you need a large install base to do so and so they took the PS3 to expand Sony's future possibilities. Now we end up with a firm that can't expand any more in the electronics market, even shrinks, has to lay off employees etc. So now they even have to do insurances to attract investors that already left.
The PS3 has indeed future potential but saying that it will meet up initial expectations is just insane. And no GigaFlop more or less will make the difference.

And beware of comparing to yestreday's data to predict the future, the world today is more mobile then ever, people will quickly Google product names and brands and it won't take long to end up on a Halo or Wii site. I don't know if thats fair or not, but thats how the market works. If you want to change that you can create your own planet with different economic rules or keep posting how good the PS3 really is and have consumers buy the thing. Yet i don't know if starting about bandwith issues and gigaflops will make people buy it, let alone be interested in the product.