By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How is the Wii Hardware shortage? Xmas predictions

I was just wondering if Ninty got the whole hardware shortage until control.  I see they are still selling out most places.  I just think that With Galaxy, Brawl, and a ton of other games coming out pre-xmas this year (GH3, RE:Umbrella), Ninty should really up the production.  Im thinking Nintendo call pull 3 million in Nov. and Dec. alone if they have the systems out on the shelves.  Anyone have news?  If no news, then what are your xmas predictions?

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

I get this 1 month ago :

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/6moremonthsofwiishortage.shtml

19/08/07 :
According to Taiwanese newspaper DigiTimes, Taiwan-based component makers have failed to supply enough ICs and PCBs to meet Nintendo's plans to expand Wii production.

Since its launch in November 2006, Nintendo sold around 10 million Wii consoles to date. Wii has been more successful than expected by Nintendo who increased Wii production several times -they claim- but demand still exceeds supply. As a result, Nintendo opted to offer Wii only in select regions such as the US, Japan, Europe and Australia, but demand kept exceeding supply.

According to component makers, the component shortage will keep Wii under-supplied during the second half of 2007.

Time to Work !

the 360 and ps3 could manage 3 million over November and December... if there was enough supply i reckon Wii could manage 6 million [though i suspect there will not be enough supply and might only manage 4-5 mil]
i sure hope they have a reasonable amount because if retail supply is the same as it is now Wii will fall short of 2.5 million.

I predict 1 million per month till end of 2007.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

i think Nintendo was smart enough to stockpile/up production and they'll be sold out but will push a total of at least 4 million world wide between the beginning of nonmember until the end of December.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

^lol... nonmember.
i agree, 4 million at least.

I don't get why everyone thinks Nintendo is "stockpiling". That's suicide from a business standpoint. They want to have the largest install base as fast as possible to attract 3rd parties. Given that Sony and MS are getting their clocks cleaned by Nintendo, you have to figure Nintendo isn't taking a chance on 'holding back' so they have some holiday stock. If they did hold back and MS and/or Sony made a huge price cut in the way of price+games+controllers, it would put some pressure on the Wii to maybe drop to $199. They would leave 50 bucks on the table for every console they "held back" and didn't sell over the holidays. Nintendo has stated numerous times that they can produce about a million a month. I honestly don't see them selling more than 2.5 million in the Nov-Dec. timeframe. Maybe 4-5 million total Sept-Dec...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

originally they were saying a million a month

capacity now- is supposed to be about a million and a half a month...

When do we next get quarterly financial reports? October?

The last one released by Nintendo projected a much larger number of shipped units by the end of '07 than current shipping trends can account for, and Nintendo tends to be conservative. Unless production was going to jump to about 2-3m per month, they've been stockpiling or they were making impossible projections.

Take a look at the sales history of the 'sold out' PS2 and DS, the previous two fastest selling 'sold out' platforms in history. There are HUGE HUGE HUGE spikes for the holidays. Despite their 'sold out' status, noone can deny a lot of stockpiling was happening. Why would the Wii be any different?

Oh yeah, did I mention that the 'sold out' PS2 and DS, which were the fastest selling 'sold out' platforms had huge sales spikes for the holidays?