By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Take/Belief on the Wii

ssj12 said:

The Nintendo Wii is an interesting console on the market. At first glance you wonder if it deserves to be a next gen console. Taking another look you will wonder if it belongs in a different category. What I believe is that it is a part of its own breed of console; kind of like Arcade Machines or Handhelds. From what I can see is the console deserves to be considered as its own beast, the second of its own generation, and creative.

That's wonderful. That's a very nice view of how wrong people can perceive the Wii. I'm sure the competitors, which are at a loss, view it like that too: completely the wrong way. And that's a big advantage for Nintendo, as to manage a threat, you first have to understand it. When you don't, it's nearly impossible to overcome a threat, except by luck.
And you can see the Wii is confusing those that don't understand it. Take the "generation" thing described here.

You don't "deserve" to be in a generation, you just are or you aren't. Just like you don't deserve to be in the next generation compared to your parents, you just are, or you aren't. When someone starts wondering if the Wii deserves to be in this generation of consoles, you know he's confused and don't know what he's talking about.

What’s so special to make it sell so well? Other than the price tag, it’s the easy to play casual games with the motion controls that is bring people of all ages to the console. The Wii doesn’t bring anything new to the gaming industry because Nintendo has already brought interactive gaming to the industry with the DS but it takes interactive gaming to an insanely high level making it the current beast of this generation taking the lead in worldwide sales pulling way ahead of the Xbox 360.

Trying to tell others what makes the console sell so well while you're confused is unwise, like shown here.

What makes the Wii sell so well is Nintendo's business strategy. Just having motion control and easy to play games is not enough to attract people that don't even check stores' videogame section.

And unless I'm mistaken, gaming was always interactive. Seems to me that's the core of gaming, interactivity, which differentiates it from movies. So this "interactive gaming" Nintendo supposedly brought is just more confused thoughts. Nintendo brought several things to gaming with the DS, AND with the Wii. But it's so innovative and so cunning, that it goes far above the head of most people. It's not hard to see someone who doesn't understand a thing of what Nintendo is doing: just ask what they think of the friends code, are they good or bad? Everyone that tells you they are bad are completely at a loss of Nintendo's strategy, lost in the old gaming world. You can't ask those people to understand that Nintendo brought several things to gaming with the DS AND the Wii.

The Wii is the second of its generation. What I mean by second of this generation is that it truly belongs in its own type of gaming experience. It’s like comparing PC gaming, Arcade gaming, Console gaming, and Handheld gaming. Comparing these is almost completely impossible to compare other then fact that they all play games. The Wii, following the DS, has created a sub genre or completely new genre of gaming that is called interactive gaming. The DS started the genre with its touch screen. It allowed interaction in games that no one has ever played before. With the Wii things changed instead of controlling with a small screen and a pen you have a modified TV remote and the nun chunk attachment which allows free movement and full interactivity with the game.

And the confused thoughts feast goes on. The Wii is console gaming, if you want to give it a "type of gaming experience". The interactive gaming nonsense is back too. The Wii didn't create a subgenre of anything.

And then, contradiction abound, which is to be expected when you're confused. So handheld and console gaming are different. How come then, that Wii is second of its generation, if DS is the first? As they are two different experience, the Wii should be the first of its generation. Oh, I see, DS is not a handheld, amirite? It's an interactive, amirite? Just like the Wii, amirite? And you actually believe your own bullshit?

I know you're confused, but that's bordering the insane territory there. 

Creativity seems to have been Nintendo’s main plan with the Wii. Knowing that they wouldn’t have been able to match the power of the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 they settled with taking their interactive gaming genre to the next level. Using the creative minds behind the legendary franchises such as Mario and Zelda they invented the control system with the WiiMote. Sadly the 3rd party developers seem to be lacking innovative ideas and milking the Wii’s success; the 1st party developers on the other hand have yet to come out short when it comes to innovative interactive games.

Oh god! Nintendo could perfectly well produce a console as powerful or even more than the others, and cheaper. But there was just no point in doing that, as it didn't work last gen.

The 3rd party devs are suffering because they can't create games, just rehash the same old with better graphics. Sure it's easier, but no wonder then, that gaming was dying in Japan.

1st party devs are perfectly in tune with their new audience though. But the confused can't see that. To the confused, the new Wii audience have finished their games and are bored in a week. Wrong! The new audience can last one full year on a game like Wii Sports. It seems unbelievable to the confused.

Of course, Nintendo won't sell a lot of games that way. Nevertheless, this year was showing that Nintendo can support its console alone, which is an amazing feat. It also shows that 3rd parties had the unacceptable behaviour of having nothing ready to sell on the Wii. 

As you can see Nintendo has taken a truly interesting path when it comes to their overall goal. Maybe what Nintendo said is true “We aren’t competing with the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.”

That's true, they don't, as these can't even compete. Of course, the Wii is not even one year old yet, and the generation is far from being finished. But if the Wii comes out a distant 1st, I feel sorry for the competitors, because by just upgrading the power of the console, the Wii successor could destroy its competition, whatever power they have, and both Sony and MS seem at a loss as to how to react to this new Nintendo's business strategy.

They didn't even see it coming! Even while they were being steamrolled.

Around the Network
ookaze said:
ssj12 said:

The Nintendo Wii is an interesting console on the market. At first glance you wonder if it deserves to be a next gen console. Taking another look you will wonder if it belongs in a different category. What I believe is that it is a part of its own breed of console; kind of like Arcade Machines or Handhelds. From what I can see is the console deserves to be considered as its own beast, the second of its own generation, and creative.

That's wonderful. That's a very nice view of how wrong people can perceive the Wii. I'm sure the competitors, which are at a loss, view it like that too: completely the wrong way. And that's a big advantage for Nintendo, as to manage a threat, you first have to understand it. When you don't, it's nearly impossible to overcome a threat, except by luck.
And you can see the Wii is confusing those that don't understand it. Take the "generation" thing described here.

You don't "deserve" to be in a generation, you just are or you aren't. Just like you don't deserve to be in the next generation compared to your parents, you just are, or you aren't. When someone starts wondering if the Wii deserves to be in this generation of consoles, you know he's confused and don't know what he's talking about.

What’s so special to make it sell so well? Other than the price tag, it’s the easy to play casual games with the motion controls that is bring people of all ages to the console. The Wii doesn’t bring anything new to the gaming industry because Nintendo has already brought interactive gaming to the industry with the DS but it takes interactive gaming to an insanely high level making it the current beast of this generation taking the lead in worldwide sales pulling way ahead of the Xbox 360.

Trying to tell others what makes the console sell so well while you're confused is unwise, like shown here.

What makes the Wii sell so well is Nintendo's business strategy. Just having motion control and easy to play games is not enough to attract people that don't even check stores' videogame section.

And unless I'm mistaken, gaming was always interactive. Seems to me that's the core of gaming, interactivity, which differentiates it from movies. So this "interactive gaming" Nintendo supposedly brought is just more confused thoughts. Nintendo brought several things to gaming with the DS, AND with the Wii. But it's so innovative and so cunning, that it goes far above the head of most people. It's not hard to see someone who doesn't understand a thing of what Nintendo is doing: just ask what they think of the friends code, are they good or bad? Everyone that tells you they are bad are completely at a loss of Nintendo's strategy, lost in the old gaming world. You can't ask those people to understand that Nintendo brought several things to gaming with the DS AND the Wii.

The Wii is the second of its generation. What I mean by second of this generation is that it truly belongs in its own type of gaming experience. It’s like comparing PC gaming, Arcade gaming, Console gaming, and Handheld gaming. Comparing these is almost completely impossible to compare other then fact that they all play games. The Wii, following the DS, has created a sub genre or completely new genre of gaming that is called interactive gaming. The DS started the genre with its touch screen. It allowed interaction in games that no one has ever played before. With the Wii things changed instead of controlling with a small screen and a pen you have a modified TV remote and the nun chunk attachment which allows free movement and full interactivity with the game.

And the confused thoughts feast goes on. The Wii is console gaming, if you want to give it a "type of gaming experience". The interactive gaming nonsense is back too. The Wii didn't create a subgenre of anything.

And then, contradiction abound, which is to be expected when you're confused. So handheld and console gaming are different. How come then, that Wii is second of its generation, if DS is the first? As they are two different experience, the Wii should be the first of its generation. Oh, I see, DS is not a handheld, amirite? It's an interactive, amirite? Just like the Wii, amirite? And you actually believe your own bullshit?

I know you're confused, but that's bordering the insane territory there.

Creativity seems to have been Nintendo’s main plan with the Wii. Knowing that they wouldn’t have been able to match the power of the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 they settled with taking their interactive gaming genre to the next level. Using the creative minds behind the legendary franchises such as Mario and Zelda they invented the control system with the WiiMote. Sadly the 3rd party developers seem to be lacking innovative ideas and milking the Wii’s success; the 1st party developers on the other hand have yet to come out short when it comes to innovative interactive games.

Oh god! Nintendo could perfectly well produce a console as powerful or even more than the others, and cheaper. But there was just no point in doing that, as it didn't work last gen.

The 3rd party devs are suffering because they can't create games, just rehash the same old with better graphics. Sure it's easier, but no wonder then, that gaming was dying in Japan.

1st party devs are perfectly in tune with their new audience though. But the confused can't see that. To the confused, the new Wii audience have finished their games and are bored in a week. Wrong! The new audience can last one full year on a game like Wii Sports. It seems unbelievable to the confused.

Of course, Nintendo won't sell a lot of games that way. Nevertheless, this year was showing that Nintendo can support its console alone, which is an amazing feat. It also shows that 3rd parties had the unacceptable behaviour of having nothing ready to sell on the Wii.

As you can see Nintendo has taken a truly interesting path when it comes to their overall goal. Maybe what Nintendo said is true “We aren’t competing with the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.”

That's true, they don't, as these can't even compete. Of course, the Wii is not even one year old yet, and the generation is far from being finished. But if the Wii comes out a distant 1st, I feel sorry for the competitors, because by just upgrading the power of the console, the Wii successor could destroy its competition, whatever power they have, and both Sony and MS seem at a loss as to how to react to this new Nintendo's business strategy.

They didn't even see it coming! Even while they were being steamrolled.

wow, i give you an unbiased view of the way I see the Wii. Everyone above enjoyed the article yet you sit here basically calling me an idiot. Why dont you take your head out of Mario's rear and actually realize this is all OPINION. Why is it that I figured Soriku would actually stand back and not rip on anything he disagreed with in this yet you sit here attempting to take a crap on it but completely failing at it but everyone around you laugh at you because your cross-eyed.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@ookaze: I 100% agree with you, but man, that was a bit harsh. :)

Nintendo says it isn't competing with MS and Sony, but it only means that in one sense: it isn't going to try to beat them at the traditional presentation-based pissing contest that has been going on in this industry for the past decade or so.

The truth is - and of course Nintendo is probably happy that so many people don't quite understand this - Wii is designed to destroy the competition. In fact you can find many similarities between the Wii strategy and the iPod strategy: Nintendo set out to copy a company that completely obliterated one of Sony's strongest markets, the Walkman.

Great post ssj12, i have never been a fan of the wii but still a Nintendo fan and the post pretty much explains what is going on perfectly. Instead of playing with the big boys Nintendo went with the home version of the DS called the wii. I have to say after reading your posts i hate the wii less.

Now maybe on the front page the wii can be placed next to the DS, and the 360/PS3 at the top, now the PS3 will come in first place with no competition besides the America only 360 ;)

GranTurismo said:
Great post ssj12, i have never been a fan of the wii but still a Nintendo fan and the post pretty much explains what is going on perfectly. Instead of playing with the big boys Nintendo went with the home version of the DS called the wii. I have to say after reading your posts i hate the wii less.

Now maybe on the front page the wii can be placed next to the DS, and the 360/PS3 at the top, now the PS3 will come in first place with no competition besides the America only 360 ;)

The reordering wont happen.. but good to see you hate the Wii less now. Just keep on praying for the RROD. lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network

Well since ssj12 has entertained us with such a delightful insight on the Wii, maybe it's time for Hus to do it? I'm expecting a good write if he decides to do so :D.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Good read.I agree with alot of it makes sense.With the 3rd Party thing i think the Wii will get the most but i dont think they will loads of quality titles like the PS1 and PS2 before did because the 3rdpartys cant be bothered being innovative with the controller.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Well, I agree with the general principle, but not the entire thing.

The Wii does compete with the 360 and PS3... I mean, that's obvious from how bad their sales are. As far as 3rd party, well no, it's not great yet... but there are some good 3rd party games and recent signs point towards a bright 3rd party future for the Wii.

Edit: Also... if you want to compare it to the DS. The DS has tons of 3rd party suppport now. In fact, it has almost all of the 3rd party support now. For example: Square Enix is making/has made 8 PSP games. 6 are remakes. Square Enix is making/has made 17 DS games, 5 are remakes, and only 2 of said remakes were ever released outside of America. It also has the next main game in their second largest franchise (Dragon Quest). So if the Wii really is the second generation of the DS, I think we have a lot of amazing 3rd party games to look forward to.  Another similarity to the DS is that it took 3rd party developers a couple years to warm up to the DS.

mitsuhide said:
Good read.I agree with alot of it makes sense.With the 3rd Party thing i think the Wii will get the most but i dont think they will loads of quality titles like the PS1 and PS2 before did because the 3rdpartys cant be bothered being innovative with the controller.

thanks

I have to agree with ookaze (save for the name calling). I think ssj12 really tried doing a good and unbiased analysis but he missed some points. It is not a personal attack dude, but everyone seems to miss what makes the Wii so hot.
1) It is not the price. 360 is at Wii level price in some markets and the Gamecube was the cheapest last gen (ignoring the Dreamcast).
2) It is not casual gaming or my grandparents playing games. Casual gamers were the ones that made the PS2 reach 120 m level and they will do this again for this gen. If new gamers were the only ones buying the Wii, Zelda TP, RE4, MP3 would sell like shit.
3) It is not only about a new way to play games. This is about "freshness". The Wii is fun to play. Hardcore, casual and new gamers can gather and play a tennis match on the same ability level. Two of my friends played Wii sports at my house until they had arm injuries (one of them did not stop playing even after that). It was that fun. Have you ever wondered why Boogie and other crappy cash in games do not sell and Wii sports sell (it is bundled I know, but it is the most played game)? If it was all about waving my hands I would get Boogie because it looks better.
4) It is not about a new genre or a different gaming machine. There are a lot of "classic" genres in the works for the Wii, like RPG, action, adventure, platform, racers, FPS, sports, simulators. If the Wii userbase wanted only party games, they would sell better and 3rd parties would not work on other genres.

I think you misunderstood the Wii revolution. It is all about "freshness", not waggle. It is about lapsed and bored gamers not casual or non gamers. It is about accessibility not price. It is not about new genres of games (even though these will come) it is about the old games being reinvented.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."