By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamecube games on Wii

Does anyone know if you can you save your gamecube saves on the Wii's SD card??

or do you have to buy a Gamecube memory card?

Thanks for the help 

Around the Network

You need to buy a GC memory card. You could probably find one on eBay for dirt cheap if you wanted, otherwise you're only out $10-$20.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

You can only save GC games on the GC mem cards. If I remember correctly there is actually GC hardware built in to the wii, and it runs independantly once the game launches

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

It's just using the Wii, since it's the same...almost everything. Just the processor is running faster (so, less slowdown? Maybe? I hope nothing is processor dependent.)

Anyway, you need a GC memory card. It's dirt cheap now.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

CrashMan said:
You can only save GC games on the GC mem cards. If I remember correctly there is actually GC hardware built in to the wii, and it runs independantly once the game launches

Not quite. What happens is that the processors and RAM have a mode where they act like GC components. Specifically, the CPU and GPU lower their clock speed to GC levels, and shut off parts that just the Wii uses (such as the exocution units aside from the floating point). Plus the 3+24+64MB of RAM locks itself to 3+24+16.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Chadius said:
Anyway, you need a GC memory card. It's dirt cheap now.

They are?!?!

The ones in stores are as expensive as ever, and I'm not even sure Nintendo makes them anymore. First party ones in online auctions are probably more expensive than ever, because all the Wii owners who didn't have a Gamecube, and some of the ones who did, want one. As for third party ones, I'm not touching them ever again after the last one corrupted all my saves. >_< 

Thanks for the help guys

That is dissapointing though... I just don't want to buy a memory card or deal with it. If I have a 2 gig SD card in there why do i need to buy a 64 meg memory card.... for PRACTICALLY the same price!

Annoying... but what can ya do, at least it isn't that expensive

i wouldn't mind having to buy an extra memory card [if i hadn't already got one] but it is irritating that you can't revert back to the Wii menu without turning it off.

It's not that annoying anymore when you realise that the wii is the only current gen console offering 100% backwards compatibility.

Something very nice for former Game Cube owners or anyone who wants to start collecting older Game Cube titles.