By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ignition Picks Up Muramasa Rights For North America!

Almost immediately following reports that XSeed was no longer distributing Vanillaware's anticipated Wii exclusive Muramasa: The Demon Blade in North America, Ignition Entertainment has stepped forward to reveal that it's got it in hand. 

Ignition says it secured the exclusive North American publishing rights to the title, which will now launch in September 2009. It had previously been slated to be published under XSeed's co-publishing agreement with Marvelous, but XSeed recently announced it was "no longer involved."

"Ignition Entertainment is immensely proud for the opportunity to bring Muramasa: The Demon Blade to the legions of North American gamers yearning for top-quality, original action games on Wii," says Ignition new business development director Shane Bettenhausen.

The title released in Japan as Oboro Muramasa on April 9th, and was widely reported to have received a decent 34/40 rating from magazine Famitsu. It features a casual Wii Remote-controlled scheme as well as a more detailed traditional option for more experienced players. Incorporating themes of traditional Japan, it employs the same art style that popularized Odin Sphere on PlayStation 2.

"We developed Muramasa: The Demon Blade in the same way as we did Odin Sphere, so there are bound to be a lot of similarities," says game director and Vanillaware president George Kamitani. "I want it to be a very fun game for everyone who picks it up."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23307

Muramasa = fun?  I'm sure that won't be a problem!   :)

Around the Network

This game will be awesome. I loved Odin Sphere and I know I will love this too.

Easily one of the best looking games out there, period.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Sweet! Can't wait until September

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Oh yeah! September! Now I can get it as a birthday present for my sister and keep it since she doesn't play.

YesWiiCan said:
Oh yeah! September! Now I can get it as a birthday present for my sister and keep it since she doesn't play.

That sounds like something that I would do when I was 7.

I still wonder what prompted this change -- but at least we know it is coming.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

What prompted the change was that it sold a disappointing 25,000 in its first week. At least it is still coming. Though I know nothing of Ignition's track record with jrpgs. I wish Working Designs was still around.

Soriku said:
txrattlesnake said:
What prompted the change was that it sold a disappointing 25,000 in its first week. At least it is still coming. Though I know nothing of Ignition's track record with jrpgs. I wish Working Designs was still around.

No it didn't. Muramasa came out last week...this deal obviously happened before it.

Plus...you do know that 26k (not 25k) is actually the second highest Vanillaware game opening ever? And it seems it has some legs according to the JP preview.

How many games has Vanillaware ever had Princess Crown, Odin Sphere, Grim Grimoire?  One  would think a game that has been discussed as much as Muramasa has would move a lot more than 26,000 copies on the most popular console in the world in its first week.  And, I wouldn't call the drop down to 10,000 in its second week as the preview has it great legs either.  It will probably do better than Fragile, but that's not a great feat.

Still, I think it is probably a good game, so I'm looking forward to it coming to the states, but I would think sales numbers would have something to do with the shift in publishers, if not why wasn't it announced before the game's release that there would be a different publisher?   

yeeeha!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Ugh September now. Was set for July but oh well. Still good to at least know it is still coming to NA. Although I doubt the title will sell well at all, at least I'll get to play it haha.

Zucas said:
Ugh September now. Was set for July but oh well. Still good to at least know it is still coming to NA. Although I doubt the title will sell well at all, at least I'll get to play it haha.

Getting to play > sales  IMO