By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii is doomed...So what?

I don't see how the Wii is doomed when it is still pretty much dominating the console market sales.

Maybe everybody here gets drunk a lot?

Around the Network

I've read some of the articles, but I don't let them bother me. Maybe the sales have been down a little, but I really don't think it's anything to worry about.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

I bought my Wii on day one, and it didn't matter if it was gonna be successful or not, it was the only console i really wanted to play... and like many other Wii gamers, the only reason i really wanted it to be successful: more good games for the system...

Now, 2 and a half years later, what's annoying in the current situation is the fact that even if it's an historical success, it receives bad press... being N°1 is still not enough, doing better than PS2 in its time is still not enough, doing better than both other "superior" HD consoles, week after week after week, is still not enough... what would it be if Wii was N°3 ???

And back to my first point: the success hasn't guaranteed more and more good games... because of the bad press and the negativity spin of the last three years, many consider a good, high-budget AAA game has not its place on Wii, it HAS to be released on the "real", "superior" consoles...

When you compare that to the way things happened in PS2 area, it seems Nintendo can't do no good: their console is for kids, for casuals, for old folks, for women, for Nintendo lovers, for retro games lovers, but not for the "real gamers"...

It's becoming so stupid that i think, the problem isn't with Nintendo anymore, the problem is with "real gamers", and the way the gaming community's allatoyahs try to influence this whole industry... for the worst, and not for the best...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Honkeytonk Monkey said:
Forget it guys, it's all over. The Wii is no more. Sony wins this gen it appears (remember the X360 lacks longevity so they are out too)

I guess I'll have to go burn all my old games now.

I lol'd.

But seriously... Satoru Iwata said before the Wii launch that the Wii would be considered a success if it doubled or tripled GC lifetime sales. We've passed the double point and will hit the triple point this year. By that count it's already a success.

Software wise, it's been a massive success, sadly tarnished by shovelware. In terms of software quality, it's been fairly successful, but there's plenty of room for improvement. There's plenty of time for improvement, too, so I think we'll see that.

Oh, and jake_the_fake1, Wii has passed 360 and PS3 sales with ease. Are both those consoles failures? I mean, at the point when Wii passed 360 lifetime sales (after less than a year on the market), should the 360 have been considered a failure? Spew your Wii-hate in the "Why you hate the Wii" thread. It's better suited to that.

metalmonstar said:

Everyone gets so uptight when an article about the Wii falling is released. All you people are doing is eating out of the hands of the writer.

There is no reason to worry though. Say tommorrow the wii sales drop off to zero. No one wants it anymore. People avoid it like the plague. Will you still play your wii? Will it be any less of a console? Will the wii be a failure? Will it confirm that the wii is a fad?

Those are serious questions you need to ask yourself. If wii sales are the determing factor on why you buy and play games on a system then you seriously need to rethink your gamer status.

If you believe the wii is a failure if it suddenly drops off, consider that gamecube sold less than half of what the wii did and was still profitable to Nintendo.

So what if people think the wii is a fad? Does that make you any less of a person for following a fad? Lots of people got into pogs, yo yos, yugioh, and bell bottom pants. I guess that makes them mindless sheep who need to be locked up immediately for being mentally unstable. Also just because something is a fad doesn't make it any less fun.

What I am trying to say is that even if the wii is doomed it won't fail. The wii has sold almost 50 million units. It has some of the best selling games this generation. It has expanded the market. Not to mention the wii has some great games. The wii has over doubled the gamecube sales, it makes a profit on each sale, and even if the wii does stop selling it would take years for the 360 and PS3 to catch up. So relax, enjoy brawl, and stop worrying about all the "Wii are doomed" articles.

finally, someone with a brain!

i said this before:

even if Wii sells 0 hardware from now on, 50m is more than enough to consider a system as "successful"

having games like Zelda: 5m, SSBB: 8M, Mario Galaxy: 8m, Mario Kart: 15m, Wii Fit: 18m

even if all these titles stop selling right now, they are still successful, more than Killzone 2 or Gear of War or Fallout 3 or whatever, Wii is a success for Nintendo, and no stupid article can change it, i wonder if people writing these articles have a brain

and it's true, people should stop these articles, Wii is already a success

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

> Will you still play your wii?

Yes.

> Will it be any less of a console?

Yes, since a console is defined in large part by the games it has. If it stops selling, it will get less games so it will be less of a console.

> Will the wii be a failure?

Not if you consider Nintendo's pre-launch goal, but in today's perspective yes.

> Will it confirm that the wii is a fad?

Kind of.

It doesn't matter since the Wii isn't doomed anyway, no matter how much importance is given to sub-standard Japanese sales.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

If sales were to suddenly bottom out on the Wii that would of course be disappointing because games would dry up within a year.

However, the last console I owned was a Colecovision and although my son has a 360, I've little interest it in. Even less in PS3.

Wii suits my lifestyle by far the best and I'll buy up all the remain good games and be contented for years on that alone.

I guess Nintendo has met demand?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

what articles? i haven't read any of them :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Gamerace said:
If sales were to suddenly bottom out on the Wii that would of course be disappointing because games would dry up within a year.

However, the last console I owned was a Colecovision and although my son has a 360, I've little interest it in. Even less in PS3.

Wii suits my lifestyle by far the best and I'll buy up all the remain good games and be contented for years on that alone.

same with me!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^