By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Still don't understand why the N64 wasn't the #1 console of that gen?

warioswoods said:
Shadow)OS said:
shams said:
Lots of reasons:
- at the time, carts were seriously inferior. They were too small, and too expensive.
- the N64 was underpowered. The PSX/PS1 has significantly better polygon throughput - and even though the N64 has "prettier" polygons, with extra work PS1 games were a lot better.
- because of the cart cost, 3rd-parties shied away from the N64. It was too hard to make a profit.

In the end, PSX had more better games. Technically it was easier to make something cool, with the space on a CD a big part of the reason (unlimited content basically).

I really, really hope we see a new console without disc based media soon (web is taking over really). Carts are so big now, and there are significantly technical advantages of carts vrs disc media.

N64 strength>PS1 strength.

There are a lot of points to argue against the N64 'failure' (a lot of which I could debate about if I cared enough), but power is not one of them.

Agreed, to argue that the PS1's 3D graphics were even in the same league as the N64 is absolute nonsense.  Take any big flagship N64 game and you can be certain it simply couldn't be reproduced on PS1 hardware, not even close.  Sure, the texture detail on the N64 was low, but overall the 3D rendering was far more advanced.

Also, the N64 wasn't some sort of mistake by Nintendo due to arrogance or however it was badly argued by someone above -- they decided to throw all their weight behind true 3D gaming with zero load times and analog control, so, while the system couldn't do a lot of things that the PS1 could in terms of cutscenes or 2D work, it pretty well ushered in the 3D era with its transformation of classic games like Mario and Zelda into the first fully realized 3D platformers and action-adventure titles.  What PS1 was producing in this area isn't even close; their 3D platforming games were either horribly rendered and awkward or actually only 2.5D like Bandicoot.

So sure, they lost the RPG genre and they started to lose the attention of the adolescent gamers who want more of what they often mistakenly deem 'mature' games, but it was a remarkable achievement in terms of reinventing classic 2D gameplay elements for the new 3D era, and we wouldn't have a hell of a lot of what we have now in gaming if not for this system. Let's not forget other important moves like the i nclusion of 4 controller ports standard -- I remember how much that meant to social gaming all those years ago.

They didn't invent 3d gaming. Infact they probably only went 3d because sony promoted their console to do the same. I'm not claiming it was better at rendering 3d but if you notice, most ps1 games are 3d. Simply because sony promoted this to the developers.. and they did this even prior to ps1's release.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

For all those people who (still) want to insist that cartridges were the big downfall of the N64, please answer this question for me (which no one has touched so far):

Why did the N64 (which used cartridges) sell more than three times better than Sega's Saturn (which used CDs)?

While you're at it, you may also want to explain why the DS, which continues to use those horribly outdated cartridges, manages to dominate against the PSP, which uses an optical-based media (UMDs). Or why it is that earlier CD based systems (CDi, 3D0, etc.) failed so badly against the cartridge-based SNES and Genesis/Megadrive. If we were plotting the relationship between cartridges and CDs on a graph, there wouldn't be an obvious correlation showing CDs = success and cartridges = failure. Trying to simplify the fifth generation consoles into one factor just leads to false conclusions.

The reason why so many third parties focused on FMV cinematics with their Playstation games is because that's what the system was good at doing. They catered their product to the hardware they were working on, not vice versa. Most of the people posting in this thread have it backwards. If the N64 had come out years before the Playstation and become the dominant platform, all of the third parties would have happily made games on cartridges and cinematics would not have been a major selling feature. You know, kind of like what's going on with DS right now?

Anyway, I'm not trying to defend Nintendo. They obviously made the wrong decision, and the N64's development cycle was one of the most torturous ones of all time. I do wish people would think a little bit more about this issue and stop confusing cause (third party development) and effect (storage medium).

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

BladeOfGod said:

I did my research just so i can make you happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoIYLYd8uUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeiwnhSfkBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzf837YDbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRaC61x3924

Happy now???

Nice finding a Sony propaganda documentary try searching for one thats independent.

They left out that they tried to get the rights to Nintedo IP´s and only mentioned the rights to the CD addon

They left out the partnered with both Nintendo and Sega

They left out that Ken had acces to both Nintendos and Segas prints for their next consoles and thats what he used when he got pissed that his backstabbing didn´t work so he tried again and suceeded obviously since PS came out.

They left out that Nintendo sued them in america wich made them go back and redesign the PS 1 in 1993 after reaching a deal with Nintendo. They wouldn´t have redisigned the whole system if they weren´t using tech they shouldn´t have and they made enough changes so they could reach the deal with Nintendo.

The playstation was released in 1994 dec and you think that they redisigned a whole system by them selves in less then a year and a half without any blueprints taken from somewhere else?

It take more the a year and a half to make a console and they did it in less with this info Ken had about both companies (Nintendo&Sega) thats why they managed to come out witha console in record time.

Now we should all be happy it happend because we wouldn´t have tekken or MGS in its form today, GT, Wipeout and so on.

That is the truth they backstabbed Nintendo by trying to decieve them our of their IP´s and Nintendo backstabbed them back by going to Philips witout telling them untill the last moment and then Ken backstabbed them back with the information he had been given to build the cd for Nintendo and Sega.

Thats how it began, but then after that Ken really showed hi genious on his own with PS2 and the PS3 (exceot for including bluray and pricepoint).

Ken is a genious yes he is but he started by fucking both Ninty and Sega and apart from Sega going out of buisness we should all be glad it happend we got great games through their fighting amongst each other.

Plese download azureus/Vuze and download the documentary there where they talk about all consoles and not to praise the Sony/PS 1.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

vaio said:
BladeOfGod said:

Happy now???

Nice finding a Sony propaganda documentary try searching for one thats independent.

They left out that they tried to get the rights to Nintedo IP´s and only mentioned the rights to the CD addon

They left out that Ken had acces to both Nintendos and Segas prints for their next consoles and thats what he used when he got pissed that his backstabbing didn´t work so he tried again and suceeded obviously since PS came out.

They left out that Nintendo sued them in america wich made them go back and redesign the PS 1 in 1993 after reaching a deal with Nintendo. They wouldn´t have redisigned the whole system if they weren´t using tech they shouldn´t have and they made enough changes so they could reach the deal with Nintendo.

The playstation was released in 1994 dec and you think that they redisigned a whole system by them selves in less then a year and a half without any blueprints taken from somewhere else?

It take more the a year and a half to make a console and they did it in less with this info Ken had about both companies (Nintendo&Sega) thats why they managed to come out witha console in record time.

Now we should all be happy it happend because we wouldn´t have tekken or MGS in its form today, GT, Wipeout and so on.

That is the truth they backstabbed Nintendo by trying to decieve them our of their IP´s and Nintendo backstabbed them back by going to Philips witout telling them untill the last moment and then Ken backstabbed them back with the information he had been given to build the cd for Nintendo and Sega.

Thats how it began, but then after that Ken really showed hi genious on his own with PS2 and the PS3 (exceot for including bluray and pricepoint).

Ken is a genious yes he is but he started by fucking both Ninty and Sega and apart from Sega going out of buisness we should all be glad it happend we got great games through their fighting amongst each other.

Plese download azureus/Vuze and download the documentary there where they talk about all consoles and not to praise the Sony/PS 1.

So you think that's Sony's propaganda??? You ignore the fact that the same people who made those videos also made History of Nintendo and History of Xbox????

''It take more the a year and a half to make a console and they did it in less with this info Ken had about both companies (Nintendo&Sega) thats why they managed to come out with a console in record time.''

Well Nintendo screwd Sony and turned to Philiphs so why shouldn't Sony launch their own console when they already made it? Now you are gonna say' If they didn't turned to Philiphs Sony would own all thir IPs'' If Nintendo didn't betrayed Sony Sony wouldn't  be in gaming buisness, so Nintendo's IPs would be useless to them ( maybe for some adds)

Sullla said:

For all those people who (still) want to insist that cartridges were the big downfall of the N64, please answer this question for me (which no one has touched so far):

Why did the N64 (which used cartridges) sell more than three times better than Sega's Saturn (which used CDs)?

While you're at it, you may also want to explain why the DS, which continues to use those horribly outdated cartridges, manages to dominate against the PSP, which uses an optical-based media (UMDs). Or why it is that earlier CD based systems (CDi, 3D0, etc.) failed so badly against the cartridge-based SNES and Genesis/Megadrive. If we were plotting the relationship between cartridges and CDs on a graph, there wouldn't be an obvious correlation showing CDs = success and cartridges = failure. Trying to simplify the fifth generation consoles into one factor just leads to false conclusions.

The reason why so many third parties focused on FMV cinematics with their Playstation games is because that's what the system was good at doing. They catered their product to the hardware they were working on, not vice versa. Most of the people posting in this thread have it backwards. If the N64 had come out years before the Playstation and become the dominant platform, all of the third parties would have happily made games on cartridges and cinematics would not have been a major selling feature. You know, kind of like what's going on with DS right now?

Anyway, I'm not trying to defend Nintendo. They obviously made the wrong decision, and the N64's development cycle was one of the most torturous ones of all time. I do wish people would think a little bit more about this issue and stop confusing cause (third party development) and effect (storage medium).

The cartridge argument no longer holds. If the DS was using (small) N64 carts, and the PSP was using UMD - the DS would be a complete failure.

CDs allowed games to be much cheaper (media was much cheaper), and this drove 3rd-parties to the PSX.

These days the cost difference between a UMD & DS cart isn't significant - not enough to shift developers away from the DS. Plus the fact that the DS & PSP are actually *very* different machines.

re: N64 vrs PSX graphics: I'm not arguing that PSX games *looked* better - in general I think N64 titles looked heaps better, apart from the low-res/blurriness. Just saying that the additional "raw power" of the PSX gave it another edge over the N64: it was actually quite hard to port PSX games to the N64, and they tended to look worse and run worse.

I still think Spyro looks fantastic, given its a PS1 game - looks a lot better than a lot of N64 & PS2 titles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFGnf4DP3KU

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
vaio said:
BladeOfGod said:

Happy now???

1.So you think that's Sony's propaganda??? You ignore the fact that the same people who made those videos also made History of Nintendo and History of Xbox????

''It take more the a year and a half to make a console and they did it in less with this info Ken had about both companies (Nintendo&Sega) thats why they managed to come out with a console in record time.''

2.Well Nintendo screwd Sony and turned to Philiphs so why shouldn't Sony launch their own console when they already made it? Now you are gonna say' If they didn't turned to Philiphs Sony would own all thir IPs'' If Nintendo didn't betrayed Sony Sony wouldn't  be in gaming buisness, so Nintendo's IPs would be useless to them ( maybe for some adds)

1 Yes when they leave out facts that are against Sony then it´s propaganda no mutter who made it. If they were honest they would have included all of the info.

2.No Sony tried and screw Nintendo out of their IP´s and failed then Nintendo backstabbed Sony at the last minute so they wouldn´t have time to rearange their plans and that cause Ken to use the classified information he got through Sega&Nintendo to build the PS1.

By this time the fight was on and on a personal level so I understands Ken´s need for revenge sinve he felt betrayed and did what he did.

As I stated in a post before we should be happy how it turned out we all got great games for more then 10 years becasue of this bakstabbing back and forth. Their feud benefited us gamers.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

FF7

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Rare was for me the best development team during the N64 days and now they are nothing short of rubbish. Did the top guys at Rare leave after N64 or something along those lines, one does not lose class as time goes by.

The reason it didn't become the number one console of its time was because Square cancelled Final Fantasy VI Remake for the N64 and made Final Fantasy VII for PS1 instead.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Some of The Reasons

- Cartridges were historically used by Nintendo to keep an iron grip over third party Devs. Licensing costs to be Nintendo Seal Approved cost a lot.

- Sony attracted third party Devs away with attractive deals

- Cartirdges were expensive, CD's cheap

In the end, PSX had more games with a broader appeal

Nintendo as usual got left with the best games of the generation and a lot of industry recognition but not the generations winning machine.

Also PSX was the first machine to be sold at less than cost. This practice is now standard in the industry for everyone except Nintendo.

The N64 although not selling well ironically made Nintendo a healthy profit due to its high sticker price.