By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tiger Woods Wii ad

Either the control works for you in a Wii game or it doesn't. I think that explains the extremely un-even scoreing for almost every game. E.g. I have and love Elebits: the control works *perfectly* for me. But I can certainly see how some people wouldn't "get" it, at least without playing enough. (it seems a lot of reviewers couldn't even figure out how to open doors! Which requires a combination of pulling and twisting they may not have even realized were possible with the controls). On a personal note, COD3 worked *perfectly* for me. **LEAGUES** better than any control-pad FPS. But Red Steel was borderline unplayable: I didn't finish the first mission before giving up. I'm sure lots of people feel the exact opposite. These golf games for Wii all have very different controll schemes even if they're superficially similar, so for any reviewer it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Around the Network

...there's also an undenyable learning curve with every Wii game in terms of developing the muscle-memory to pull off the control scheme (vs. already knowing how to press the buttons / work the sticks on our gamepad of choice). Almost every Wii game seems broken at first, but if you give it a chance it'll become second nature like no gamepad control scheme ever could

On a personal note, COD3 worked *perfectly* for me. **LEAGUES** better than any control-pad FPS. But Red Steel was borderline unplayable: I didn't finish the first mission before giving up. I'm sure lots of people feel the exact opposite.
I was the opposite, maybe because I'm a PC FPS player usually? I turned Red Steel's sensitivity to high, turned off the aim assist, and never looked back. In COD3 though, I died dozens of times during the struggle scenes and although I did "okay" in regular gun combat, I was not nearly as precise as I was in RS with a good amount of headshots and other gunplay. :-/ I loved the jeep and tank driving though. ^-^;;

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said: On a personal note, COD3 worked *perfectly* for me. **LEAGUES** better than any control-pad FPS. But Red Steel was borderline unplayable: I didn't finish the first mission before giving up. I'm sure lots of people feel the exact opposite. I was the opposite, maybe because I'm a PC FPS player usually? I turned Red Steel's sensitivity to high, turned off the aim assist, and never looked back. In COD3 though, I died dozens of times during the struggle scenes and although I did "okay" in regular gun combat, I was not nearly as precise as I was in RS with a good amount of headshots and other gunplay. :-/ I loved the jeep and tank driving though. ^-^;;
This is why game reviews simply don't work for Wii games in terms of judgeing what you should buy. You really have to try before you buy, or at least learn enough about the control scheme beforehand to make sure it's something you think you'll figure out.

I think you will see low scores from gaming mags on most Wii titles that are not proprietary for the Wii. Like Madden, COD3, Tiger Woods. I mean the main rating categories for video games are sound, graphics, replay factor, entertainment value, and overall rating. I liked the commercial and swinging the wii mote like a golf club, I just wish the graphics were better on Wii. Graphically it looked very jaggy. I'm sorry I think that way guys, but the whole thing is important to me when gaming, from sound, to gameplay, to graphics. And most of these games I see on Wii are killing me on the graphics side. Some of them I like, like Red Steel, Zelda and I thought the graphics were fine.

Around the Network

I don't really like golf games. But ever since I introduced my friend, who is an avid golfer, to Wii Golf, we've been playing it religously. I thought the commercial was very well done. The Wii is really stealing the show now. Usually multi-platform games get one commercial for all the systems, but the Wii gets it's own and with Tiger in it. The thing I find strange about golfers is whenever they can simulate golf, they will purchase it. They buy little putting greens for their office or homes. They spend hundreds of dollars....on one club. I am guessing this will sell pretty well, since they aired it during Sports Center.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I've seen the ad on TV 3 or 4 times now. I suspect they're going to keep airing it during March Madness. I hope the game doesn't suck.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

review 1up.com - 7.5 http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3158006 "Tiger's mechanics make the game stand as the first worthy golf simulator. After you grip it and rip it here, you'll realize Wii Sports Golf and Super Swing are little more than tech demos. Still, Tiger's swing system isn't perfect. We're fine with a sloppy Wii Remote backswing resulting in nasty hooks or knifing slices -- that's ultimately correctable. But problems arise if there's even a touch of arthritis when you pull back to strike the ball. On occasion, when you go for full power, you'll swing before intended -- the maddening result is often a dink instead of a drive. The irony is that when you want to hit a shot with reduced power, you'll be as inconsistent as John Daly's sobriety. The main reason: There's no meter anywhere in the game. While practice makes perfect on drives and long shots, the lack of a meter adds strokes in the short game. Putting is made supremely difficult without any power indicator, and that leads to profanity-laced tirades well after you understand the mechanic." 18 courses with more realistic swings than wii sports? sounds fine to me. i'm getting it tomorrow :)

Putting without any indication of power would drive me nuts.

The commercial was perfect. Showed Tiger. Showed Tiger playing wii. Showed how the motion on the game nearly matched perfectly to Tiger's swing. I want this game. Sold to the fat guy in the back of the room.