By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can't be considered to be the best videogame console ever.

theRepublic said:
BTFeather55 said:
Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:
Samus Aran said:

Lol, why bring the wii in this discussion? You just proved yourself that you're a nintendo hater and keep on trolling everything Nintendo related. The NES had a bigger gaming library then the atari 2600.

A lot of franchises that are now legendary started on the NES. Tell me one game that became legendary that started on the atari 2600?

Defender, Pitfall, Vanguard, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missle Command, Phoenix, Battlezone, Moon Patrol, Cosmic Ark, Berzerk, Pac-Man.

Do you know how many of those games started in the Arcade? Let me bold the important part of that question for you again.

I only had to name one.  Others: Keystone Cops, River Raid, Megalomania, Star Raiders, and Yar's Revenge.

And of those that started in the arcades, you couldn't play any of them at home before they were on the 2600.

It was called Keystone Kapers.  Best platformer on the 2600, but still doesn't even come close to something like Super Mario Bros.

I haven't heard of any of those others.  Didn't he ask you to name legendary games?

Yar's Revenge, Asteroids (without Asteroids there would be no Geometry Wars), Space Invaders, Defender River Raid all of those are legendary games (just pick up Activision Anthology for PS2 to see the quality of some of the mentioned games)

It's not my problem if people think the history of video games begins with Nintendo in 1985.

The Atari brandname still carries more weight than a lot of people believe.  And a new console released under the Atari name would do well.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:

Yar's Revenge, Asteroids (without Asteroids there would be no Geometry Wars), Space Invaders, Defender River Raid all of those are legendary games (just pick up Activision Anthology for PS2 to see the quality of some of the mentioned games)

It's not my problem if people think the history of video games begins with Nintendo in 1985.

You never walked into an arcade in the 80's or 90's, did you?

Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:

In an earlier post, I talked about being in an arcade in South Carolina in 1985.  I was in several arcades prior to then too.  But by 1990, all of the arcades around here had largely disappeared or they had old games like Ms.  Pac-Man.  I did notice a few Capcom arcade games like Magic Sword in the early 1990s.  However, I never really got into the fighting games.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:

In an earlier post, I talked about being in an arcade in South Carolina in 1985.  I was in several arcades prior to then too.  But by 1990, all of the arcades around here had largely disappeared or they had old games like Ms.  Pac-Man.  I did notice a few Capcom arcade games like Magic Sword in the early 1990s.  However, I never really got into the fighting games.

I

Look, it's almost mind-bending that you missed the point of what I'm saying here.

Asteroids, Space Invaders, and Defender were arcade games first. That is what they are. Arcade games.

You were tasked with naming one game that became legendary and got its start on the 2600. Arcade ports do not qualify.

Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:
Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:

I

Look, it's almost mind-bending that you missed the point of what I'm saying here.

Asteroids, Space Invaders, and Defender were arcade games first. That is what they are. Arcade games.

You were tasked with naming one game that became legendary and got its start on the 2600. Arcade ports do not qualify.

I think they qualify if that's the first place you can ever play them at home.  The SNES is remembered for Street Fighter II and a lot of Nes's sold because of its poor port of Double Dragon.  

Double Dragon was even in your 100 great NES games video as well as some other games that probably started in the arcades or on pc as well and that had better versions on those systems.

Other examples noticed after watching the video in its entirety:  Ninja Gaiden (best home version of the arcade game was on Atari Lynx), Prince of Persia (PC), Maniac Mansion (PC), Pirates! (PC -- best console port was Pirates! Gold on Genesis) 

Contra, the second game in the vid, which was originally an arcade game.  Kung Fu, one of the NES's original games, was in that arcade in South Carolina I mentioned earlier.  A restaurant in my little hometown of 1,000 people had the arcade version of Tag Team Wrestling that would later appear on NES from Data East.  And that game they had at Showbiz Pizza Place where you were supposed to shoot at clay targets was very similar to that part of Duck Hunt.

Mario himself was in at least a couple of arcade games and on prior consoles to his appearances on the NES.  The Colecovision Adam version of DK is superior in every way to the NES' Donkey Kong Classics version.  Popeye was another Nintendo classic that was on the Colecovision and 2600, but I don't remember if it has ever been on a Nintendo home system.

So, the NES' much ballyhooed library of games benefited from arcade games like the 2600, yet you are using that as a slight against the 2600's library.

I named Pitfall, Adventure, Star Raiders, River Raid, Demon Attack, Enduro, Dragon Fire, Megalomania, and Yar's Revenge as legendary games that started exclusively on the 2600.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

... I can't believe I wasted my time hoping there would be some logic at the end of the thread... from your previous posts, I am going to have to say that you honestly believe this.

Jesus God, BTFeather, that is far and away the hardest-to-read post I have ever seen on these boards.

Khuutra said:
Jesus God, BTFeather, that is far and away the hardest-to-read post I have ever seen on these boards.

Fixed

Heavens to Murgatoids.

your thread is full of fail...and so is your logic.

NES is the reason you have a console now. It made console gaming what it is today.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

I have Popeye for the NES. Before you spout your incorrect comments and assumptions, you can just use Google or Wikipedia or even VGChartz now to look some of these things up.

I was trying to corner you in the Donkey Kong vs. Pitfall argument, where just about everything you said was wrong, but now that you're defending E.T. and the 2600 port of Pac-Man, it's obvious that you're trolling. Thanks for wasting my time.

Arcade games were still strong into the 90's. Just because you didn't like fighting games doesn't mean you get to rewrite history. Street Fighter 2 was one of the most successful arcade games of all time. You're also intentionally downplaying the market crash of '83 because you're pretending to like the games that were major causes of it (E.T. and Pac-Man).

The NES had better original content as well as better arcade ports. When you're not naming arcade ports, you're naming mostly shitty games that ruined the game industry. Atari was to blame. The corporate dooshbags who ousted Bushnell didn't know anything about the industry or quality control, so Atari didn't have any. This is basic video game history.

Nintendo's Seal of Quality was really hard to get. Nintendo actually had quality control. Atari is the reason Nintendo had to rule the industry with an iron fist as they recreated it. If it wasn't for that Seal of Quality and those crazy contracts, we would have had a flood of shitty games, JUST LIKE ATARI DID. And it would have ruined the industry again.

There's a reason why Nintendo wouldn't even let Atari make NES games, so they had to do so under a fake name, Tengen, and make almost all crap games, outside of their illegal Tetris port.

Ugh.