By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Some WiiWare devs were not being paid.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/972/972642p1.html

April 14, 2009 - At this year's Game Developers Conference a talk called Independent Game Sales revealed that Nintendo has a minimum download threshold for WiiWare games that must be met before the developer is paid. The speaker, Gamasutra publisher and Independent Game Festival chairman Simon Carless, said this number is somewhere in the mid-quadruple digits for America and low quadruples for other territories. Unless a game passes over this number of downloads, the developer doesn't get paid at all. Sources in the WiiWare development community have confirmed this information to IGN.

Carless estimated that multiple independent WiiWare games will not pass the threshold and not return any of the developer's investment. He also guessed that this threshold is in place to deter developers from tossing loads of shovelware onto the service. One developer, speaking anonymously, recently told IGN that this deterrent makes the threshold a good thing.

There have been two primary barriers for little-known games on WiiWare. Until recently, storage has been an issue on the Wii. This is now fixed as of last month, but another hurdle remains: WiiWare games don't offer any sort of trial, so gamers can't check them out first to see if they like them as they can on Xbox Live Arcade.

As of this writing, Nintendo could not be reached for comment. The company has not released any official information about the sales of WiiWare games. Carless has heard that Nintendo might be changing this minimum threshold policy so that developers can eventually cash a paycheck from WiiWare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds weird that this was done for quality control.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

wow, never heard of this, and it sounds a little scary. i was hoping i could maybe one day make a small game for that service or one like it [a dream, really] and this could really keep me away from trying to do that.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Seems harsh. Would be more fair for them to just get a percentage from each download.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I support this. It means more effort has to go in to WiiWare. Look at the apps for iphone/ipod touch. They're littered with shovelware apps (apple fanboys don't flame, they have plenty of good ones too). I wonder if something like this is in place for DSiWare as well.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Maybe this has something to do with Nintendo covering its costs for publishing the game online, whereas Microsoft and Sony may charge a higher initial fee. We have no idea what's going on in these contracts, that's my point.

It could well be cheaper to publish a game for WiiWare than XBL/PSN (which includes those bandwidth fees).

This article could be incomplete or misleading.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NintendoMan said:
I support this. It means more effort has to go in to WiiWare. Look at the apps for iphone/ipod touch. They're littered with shovelware apps (apple fanboys don't flame, they have plenty of good ones too). I wonder if something like this is in place for DSiWare as well.

I would agree with this if there was the opportunity to try out a game before downloading.  This would mean you only download games you think are good.  But there isn't.  There could be a game which is very good but doesn't get the requisite number of downloads simply cause it gets lost in the crowd or doesn't have an interesting name or for any other reason unrelated to the quality of the game.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

The dev only gets a % as well, after the initial numbers have been reached. Nintendo is just taking a cut for the use of their system and network with the % and this initial sales prereq.

I think MS does something similar, although I don't know that you have to meet a certain number of downloads before the % kicks in.

Sony's program is different than the others, I hear, but I don't really know much about it.

ouch, that's harsh. I would think passing a Nintendo requirement would be a little nicer and here I thought MS was being rather draconian with their Live stuff. Sounds like Nintendo has a bit of smasher themselves.

While I understand the idea, i'm not sure if I can agree with it. At least it sounds like the 40mb limit has been lifted.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

What kind of wiiware game doesn't sell in the thousands.
Unless its total shovelware, has a horrible name and picture, some morons are going to buy it.

??? Not getting paid O_o! How i'm I going to make any money?

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.