By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are Wii sales starting to fall off in Americas and Others as well as Japan?

Only 294,000 Wiis sold worldwide last week.  That is a huge number, but it is close to 3 times less than the number of DSs sold last week.

One reason could be the popularity of the DSi last week.  However, I just did a check to see how the Wii has been doing lately and this is what I found (note it is hard for me to see exact dates and sales correspondences because I'm using a laptop).  However it appears that the Wii has a drastic decline from the holiday period of a week where it had a peak of 1,769,817 to a point in mid January where it sold 502, 788, followed by several weeks in the 300,000 range (with a decline the last two weeks to 310,000), then last week's new low of 294, 876.

Are Wii sales beginning to fall off in Americas and Others as they have already done in Japan?

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

It was bound to happen .....unless we get another "DS syndrome" were people start buying multiple Wiis

Others + Americas sales in Q1 2008:

Q2 08:

Q3 08:

Q1 2009:

(2008 out of christmas average: 4152K)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I only see a slight decrease in Japan only to be honest, every other territory the Wii is still selling normally.

I don't think they are so much falling off in NA as adapting to the fact that the Wii is now in supply at most retailers.
On the spot purchases due to availability are going to disappear.( there is no need to rush and purchase the Wii you see on the shelves now and people will delay their purchase ( especially when offering it as a gift)).

PS : I think his comment was related to the fact that last week NA wii sales were the lowest weekly wii sales since the stock issues of early january.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Others + Americas sales in Q1 2008:

Q2 08:

Q3 08:

Q1 2009:

(2008 out of christmas average: 4152K)

COMPLETE ownage. Nicely done kiddo.

wii is actually doing better than in previous years.

and i dont think its fair to compare wii holiday numbers to everyday wii numbers.

if you want to go that route than compare wii everyday numbers to ps3/360 holiday numbers

hello how are you.

Considering that the economy is in the tank, I think all the consoles have handled the recession well.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39453&end=39908

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Ail said:

I don't think they are so much falling off in NA as adapting to the fact that the Wii is now in supply at most retailers.
On the spot purchases due to availability are going to disappear.( there is no need to rush and purchase the Wii you see on the shelves now and people will delay their purchase ( especially when offering it as a gift)).

PS : I think his comment was related to the fact that last week NA wii sales were the lowest weekly wii sales since the stock issues of early january.

I know that at my closest Wal~Mart where I'd only seen three Wiis two times since its launch date, about two weeks ago, I saw three new ones there, then the next time I went in they had 10, and today (two to three weeks after they had 10) they still have six left.

However, there was a Wii I had my eye on on ebay last week because it was listing at $222.00 with Wii Sports, Wii Play, and some extra controllers thrown in and with about eight hours to go, it was over $350.00 by the time the auction ended.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

This thread's don't get an end???

x___X

What? Do you expect people to see the market leader going down and other console claiming the top 1 place?

Sorry to shatter those prays but its not going to happen.

IF you ask if Wii as peaked, probably I would say yes. Sales declining no, because all we know that the market in Japan is at risk. If Wii is selling bad there, HD twins are not selling at all.