By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So who really has sold more consoles? Sony or Microsoft?

The year headstart part annoys me.. 360 was launched too early and if your gonna say Sony had to deal with price and blah blah blah why not mention the effect that RRoD had on the sales of the 360? It was Microsoft's choice to launch with that issue just like it was Sony's choice to launch with the price issue..

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Let's see:

Sony: 105 million + 130 million + 46 million + 22 million = 303 million consoles

Microsoft: 25 million + 30 million = 55 million

Not even close...

That wraps this thread up pretty nicely one thinks :D

microsoft have problems trying to match PSP sales alone O.o

I don't even know why we bother replying to threads like this all the time. Its a constant back and forward battle between the two consols and all these times the disputes aint settled.

Sony is a year behind Microsoft with the PS3 but has managed to sell more in its two years release than what the Xbox360 sold in its first two years so Sony wins there.But Xbox fanboys ain't happy about this so they say total sales without the early release really only matters and sony looses because they should have put there consol out there earlier if they wanted a fair fight.

Its all rediculous.Any smart person can see Sony is selling the most and in economic times like this it still manages to stay very close to Xbox 360 sales.But alot of fanboys out there refuse to look at this and continue making threads about how the ps3 sucks and how microsoft has sold more.Which is very arrogant if you ask me

geddesmond2 said:
I don't even know why we bother replying to threads like this all the time. Its a constant back and forward battle between the two consols and all these times the disputes aint settled.

Sony is a year behind Microsoft with the PS3 but has managed to sell more in its two years release than what the Xbox360 sold in its first two years so Sony wins there.But Xbox fanboys ain't happy about this so they say total sales without the early release really only matters and sony looses because they should have put there consol out there earlier if they wanted a fair fight.

Its all rediculous.Any smart person can see Sony is selling the most and in economic times like this it still manages to stay very close to Xbox 360 sales.But alot of fanboys out there refuse to look at this and continue making threads about how the ps3 sucks and how microsoft has sold more.Which is very arrogant if you ask me

i agree

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
geddesmond2 said:

And any smart person here would note you are wrong.  PS3 vs X360 only.

Winning either way by just a few million is irrelevant anyway and in no way indicates quality so you are correct on those points but don't toss in a falsification in the middle of it like you did.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
geddesmond2 said:

And any smart person here would note you are wrong.  PS3 vs X360 only.

Winning either way by just a few million is irrelevant anyway and in no way indicates quality so you are correct on those points but don't toss in a falsification in the middle of it like you did.

Well I presumed everyone would know I'm talking about Xbox 360 vs PS3 sales giving the title of the thread.

sony has more consoles so obviously

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane

Almost 4 years later and 360 is still selling well...

And PS3 is just a year behind? So 2009 PS3 will sell 8million units?

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Sardauk said:
numonex said:
"The general consensus between the two main competing consoles, the Xbox 360 and the PS3 is that, the Xbox 360 has sold more consoles and is in the "lead", is this really the case? factually speaking it is, but who is really selling more consoles, and how strong is each sale for each company?

The first thing, many people choose to ignore or forget to mention is the fact that Microsoft's Xbox 360 has been out for at least a year longer in all territories, obviously a lead in sales is expected, when it's the only HD "Next-Gen"console on the market, right?

Secondly, looking at the prices of these two consoles as another factor, one cannot help but say the PS3 is performing far stronger than most think, launching at $600 a piece, at least $200 more expensive than the Xbox 360 launch price, it is clearly quite a feat to still be in the title race.

With all factors combined, the year head start and cheaper console, the Microsoft Xbox 360 can be seen to be under performing and in contrary the Sony PS3, thriving, strange views for most I'm sure, but if you do the math, a more expensive console + a year late to the market, going on to sell over 21 million units is remarkable, and in comparison, the 8 million or so lead by the Xbox 360 seems pretty small.

Again I stress that you put all factors together, the price, the launch time and the economy into question, by doing so you'll notice that the PS3 isn't in as much of a bad position as some people might like to think. And as of recently is seeing a huge increase in sales across Japan and other EU territories."

Some key factors omitted by the blogger:

What about PS3 sales being considerably down in comparison to PS2 sales from last generation?

X360 during its year head start was competing directly with a much cheaper well established system in the PS2 which ate into X360 sales.

X360 had production issues in its first year which adversely impacted on X360 first year sales.

"Play Station" is a more established brand name which is well recognised by consumers which helped push PS3 sales in its early years.

What is it with people trying to find excuses for the PS3 all the time... ?

No shit... stop making excuses up for the f'n thing.  The thing is selling like it is because Sony was full of cockhosters.  If they had been a bit more conservitive things wouldn't have turned out this way.