By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumors Mounting Over $399 40GiB PS3

akuma587 said:
Gelmer said:
Try and convince yourselves the few who took sides make a difference this early in the game but everyone sees the writing on the walls, neither is comming out as the clear victor and neither is selling terribly well in the big picture. It's down to supporting both as a niche market, that's all.

I really pity the early adopters of these two formats.

Just like how DVD didn't sell better than VHS when it first came out, right?  Just like how electronic stores only carried one or two models of HDTV's, right?  Just like how DVD storage took quite awhile to uproot CD storage, right?  

Yeah, the first DVD players hit around 1996. Look how long it took them to start hitting mainstream, and that was when the every TV on the market would see the advantages of the new format.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:
akuma587 said:
Gelmer said:
Try and convince yourselves the few who took sides make a difference this early in the game but everyone sees the writing on the walls, neither is comming out as the clear victor and neither is selling terribly well in the big picture. It's down to supporting both as a niche market, that's all.

I really pity the early adopters of these two formats.

Just like how DVD didn't sell better than VHS when it first came out, right? Just like how electronic stores only carried one or two models of HDTV's, right? Just like how DVD storage took quite awhile to uproot CD storage, right?

Yeah, the first DVD players hit around 1996. Look how long it took them to start hitting mainstream, and that was when the every TV on the market would see the advantages of the new format.

Except that DVD had well known, and significant improvements over VHS. Everyone wanted one - they were just too pricey for most.

These new HD formats are virtually insignificant. The store I bought my new Plasma TV from on the weekend had a BluRay player hooked up to a nice TV - and playing Spiderman 3. I was actually shocked how insignificant the emotional connection I felt to what I was seeing - and couldn't believe that people would spend a LOT of money on it. (for the record, not trying to bag out BluRay - just the HD format players in general).

DVD >>>>> VHS

BluRay/HD-DVD > DVD

I doubt I would even spend $100AU ($70US) buying a HD player at this stage. I'd rather pick up a new game. 

(for the record, I saw streams of consumers walking past this BluRay playing set - not a single person stopped to have a good look at it).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

hahaha ive been readin over comments people were discussing investing.. lol whats the average user age on this site?! 14 lol aaaahhhh how funny.... people that young dont care about investing they care about gaming...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

A good point was raised: How is it that someone as overtly biased and uninformed as Shams got to be a moderator?

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ChichiriMuyo said:
A good point was raised: How is it that someone as overtly biased and uninformed as Shams got to be a moderator?

Shams is well loved on here (not in the way you are thinking!) so "liked" is the better word

Shams is rather smart, alot of times he may show a little of being alot more of a fan to the wii etc, but it does not effect his predictions, i have yet to find one that is far off.

Id find him rather informed, and that comment really is not welcome here.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
Bonafide732 said:
hahaha ive been readin over comments people were discussing investing.. lol whats the average user age on this site?! 14 lol aaaahhhh how funny.... people that young dont care about investing they care about gaming...

I've had my NTDOY investing thread for a while and everyone has acted quite mature. 

okay okay i stand corrected.. im a man i admit when im wrong

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

well im 17 and proud, i may be clueless at times, but sometimes the ladys like that! (so many chicks met by " i dont understand # 69 (wink) i mean 9 would you come help me (wink wink))

after that people will ask me

"Are you high, or just incredibly stupid"

I assure you I AM NOT HIGH

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
shams said:
After charging $599 for a PS3 80Gig (+ game), they would have some serious BALLS to charge $399 for the same thing... with a slightly smaller hard disk.

I can't see it happening, and it would make a massive dent in their pockets if it was true.

Then again this is Sony - they aren't exactly the most rational company around.

I think the original post is a little misleading the Spiderman 3 pack-in is not the game it is the Blu-ray movie wich sony can give away since it made a but load of cash. the rumor also states that by the Holiday that 80 gb will be 499 I would definitly choose the 399.00 version. This may be more than a rumor It is like the 3rd time I heard of a 40GB PS  for 399. Saw it first on a loose talk in Game Informer before E3.

Sony's desire to win the format war is definitly a factor. This one Machine can generate a lot of income for years to come In two different areas of entertainment perhaps 3 in they can hook people to Home like second life for the PC. The loss on the console will be made up if they sell enough of them.

Well Fishyjoe and Shams have pretty much said everything I would have said. As to the Sony fanboys, try spending less time arguing business matters with 2 of the few people on this forum who understand business and more time learning about how business works. You can even learn by playing a game, Capitalism Plus for the PC.

I don't really lean one way or the other on the 40GB PS3. All I could add is that Sony has to do something and at least that would be doing something.