By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 512GB SSD now available

We knew SSD capacity would increase over time, but I didn't expect it so soon.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16720

Indeed I think this 512GB SSD from Super Talent (on sale for $1500) now exceeds the real-world density of hard drives as well as the usual advantages of higher random read and write speeds, lower power use and no moving parts. With such capacities available it is only a matter of time before SSDs that match the top-end (1TB) of HDDs in terms of capacity appear and fall to parity in pricing.

Around the Network

That's pretty awesome. Should only be a few more years before they're more widely commercially viable, right?

In 3-4 years they will be rather affordable...

so how long until $1500 is more like $150

One note should be made, HDD manufacturing shares similarities to lithography used for chip making. As the technology improves, capacities for both improve rapidly.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
One note should be made, HDD manufacturing shares similarities to lithography used for chip making. As the technology improves, capacities for both improve rapidly.

Yes; Intel's SSDs are currently 50nm and they promise 34nm by the end of 2009 which will be a doubling in capacity at the same size; if we assume Moore's law then they should halve in cost every two years (yes I know that's not what the Law is).

Just say no to moving parts!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Very cool. Once they get up over a TB, I will buy one of these for my PS3.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

^ Extremetech tested and found very little benefit to using a SSD on a PS3.

Tease.

It's only 21 times more expensive than my 640 GB hdd :D

Through i also have small 32gig SSD for OS :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB