By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if Sony had made Different choices with the PSP and PS3-fun discussion

What if Sony's PSP had literally been a portable PS1 and had the same design as now  but had no media features? And what if Sony took a loss leading startegy and it retailed for $100 WHEN IT LAUNCHED?  For a launch line-up (and throughout the PSP's life), Sony could have re-realsed all the popular PS1 games for PSP at $19.99 and call them "PS1 greatest hits-only for PSP" and then have normal games at $29.99-$34.99. What if FF7 and FF Tactics were launch title games?  The DS would be dead by now. Considering the DS's and PSP's bad first 6 months, there is no way the DS would have survived. The PSP would have done amazing, and Nintendo would have been forced to use there backup plan- fall back on GBA while they develop the next GBA (which was rumored to be going to have PS2 level graphics and somehow be cheap) Even if Nintendo realsed a new game boy, Sony's PSP would likely fight it off with a lower price; in fact, the hypothetical Sony PSP could be at $59.99 right now. Then Sony would have all the software sales and wold be making a huge fortune, even if they lost money on every hardware sold through year 3.

Sony could have done something similar with the PS3: Have the PS3 have no media features, have graphics in the same caliber as the XBOX 360, and launch at  a loss for $299. $299 PS3 vs $400 Xbox360? I don't know how the Wii would be doing, but the 360 would be smoked, considering the momentum and hype the PS3 had in its first 4 months. If the PSP had been a ragin sucess, the hype would have been even greater, and if there were no supply issues, PS3 would have taken off like a rocket. In my personal opinion, Sony has made some very bad decisions lately in their video game department. Do you think Sony would still be the video game market leader (or perhaps dominating in both portable and console sales) if they had followed a business model similar to what I have stated above?
(P.S. this is for hypothetical discussion, which I find fun. I am not trying to be a Sony fanboy, as I am not one in the slightest. I actaully prefer Nintendo games the best, but I am not a fanboy to any console. I can see that they all have something to offer- [microsoft one thing nintendo another, and Sony with the PS2 had a good mix of both worlds] So please don't accuse me of being a Wishful thingking Sonybot)

Around the Network

Wow, I'm surprised Sony's game department hasn't just picked you up.

On a side note, I think that if Sony did essentially the same strategy as mentioned above for the PSP with the PSP2, they would do quite well, probably capturing 40% or so of the portable market (unless for some reason microsft makes an X-box portable; next gen of portables would be the time to do it, power/gen wise)
Sony could relase the PSP2 at a $99.99 price tag, have PS2 level graphics, have PS2 Greatest hits remade for PSP2 for $19.99, and have 3 or 4 PS1 Compilations for $29.99. Also, in my opinion they should take out media features and have all their games be $19.99-$29.99.

MontanaHatchet said:
Wow, I'm surprised Sony's game department hasn't just picked you up.

Haha, thank you :) When PSP was launched, I bought a DS, but I actaully anticipated it lasting 2-3 years and having good games, and then failing to the PSP, at which point in time I would buy the PSP. 3 years later, DS is winning, but ironically the PSP actaully has had more games I am interested in then the DS.

I think why the PSP isn't doing to great is becuase Sony is trying to take on apple's ipod and Nintendo's gameboy/DS with the PSP- its like trying to take out 2 huge birds with one stone. If Sony had only focused on killing the GBA, they might have suceeded. (Personally I don't see anyone taking down the iPod anythime soon- its borderline monoply at this point) 

Also I would like to Discuss why Microsft hasn't made a portable halo. I have 4 theories...

1. They haven't had time
2. The DS isn't powerful enough
3. It wouldn't sell well enough on the PSP to justify making, plus micrsoft's goal seems to be as much taking out Sony as being sucessful.
4. They plan to make thier own portable that will take on the PSP2 and they want to have a new halo portable multiplayer halo game ready an exclusive for Microsft XP- Microsft XboxPortable

Around the Network

Flame war starts in 3... 2... 1...

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Seriously, great graphics at 300 with none of the media bullshit would be killer

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

OMG...what da hell have you people been smoking?

mM
Soriku said:
Lol @ $59.99.

And you're saying an 'if' but it didn't happen and now the DS will win the Portable Wars.

Topic over.

Why are you being so defsive? Its good to an open mind, and this thread is about hypothiticals, not reality. I was sorta hoping we could all have a discusiion of "what would happen if Sony did this or in Nintendo did that"

And I don't think the PSP would be that expensive if it was like a PS1. Also the 59.99 is a loss leading staregy, Sony would make a small porfit due to game sales and lose big on hardware, but would be able to effectivly push Nintendo out of the makret, "killing" the DS and Gameboy brand. 

Oh thank god that didn't happen ;O;!