By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - List of best-selling video game franchises (according to Wikipedia)

We should have a list like this.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:

ummm i would figgure Metal gear would be on here.....

Close but no dice

Yeah, I was kinda expecting to see MG too, but according to Konami, it's sold only 26.5 mil (if you can really call that an "only").

Still somewhat surprising to me, though, considering that MG has permeated popular culture so much. Everyone knows who Solid Snake is.

Khuutra said:
Alterego-X said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

5. The Sims - 56M

EA officially announced the 100 million sold Sims versions months ago, so it should be #3.

PC games sales are not counted by a first party company, like on consoles, so even vgcharts must rely on EA's press releases.

Ironically, Wikipedia does the same, but more accuratelly.

Here, some of the Sims games are still at 0.00m, that is ridiculous, for e.p.s like "Pets", that was one of the biggest ones.

Doesn't that 100 million number include expansions, though?

So does the other numbers. All The Sims numbers include expansions.

Without expansions, the number is at somewhere around 25M I believe.

The expansions may just cost 20 dollars, but I believe they should still be counted (like Wii Play).

As for Metal Gear... It's at around 23rd I believe (with 20.1M sold).

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Khuutra said:
Alterego-X said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

5. The Sims - 56M

EA officially announced the 100 million sold Sims versions months ago, so it should be #3.

PC games sales are not counted by a first party company, like on consoles, so even vgcharts must rely on EA's press releases.

Here, some of the Sims games are still at 0.00m, that is ridiculous, for e.p.s like "Pets", that was one of the biggest ones.

The expansions may just cost 20 dollars, but I believe they should still be counted (like Wii Play).

Wow, without expansions it's that low? But yeah, there's no reason to not count expansions.

Going back to the list, kinda surprised to see Tekken but no Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. I thought they'd be at least equal.

boxydancer said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Khuutra said:
Alterego-X said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

5. The Sims - 56M

Wow, without expansions it's that low? But yeah, there's no reason to not count expansions.

Going back to the list, kinda surprised to see Tekken but no Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. I thought they'd be at least equal.

Mortal Kombat is at 15-18M (it's old, so numbers may be incomplete and incorrect) and SF is at 15-18M as well.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS