By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the download thread will go on till bluray and hd dvd death

sieanr said:
Game_boy said:
It's illegal, so it doesn't count.

Purchasing HD movies for download is illegal?

Where are you doing this?!  Xbox Live is a RENT ONLY system, and if that doesn't change or someone doesn't come out with an iTune's like system for downloading and KEEPING a movie, then it will NEVER compete with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.  

Around the Network

you can on a PC. My friends then stream it to their 360 and watch it in HD 42". wollah. :)

theshoe23 said:
sieanr said:
Game_boy said:
It's illegal, so it doesn't count.

Purchasing HD movies for download is illegal?

Where are you doing this?! Xbox Live is a RENT ONLY system, and if that doesn't change or someone doesn't come out with an iTune's like system for downloading and KEEPING a movie, then it will NEVER compete with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

theres websites that let you do it, hell amazon lets you download movies.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

akuma said: People said that by 2000 T1 would be the standard internet connection. That worked out well...we were still 50% dial-up last year. The difference between downloading a song and a video is almost unrecognizable. A 256 kb/sec (acceptable bit rate for even picky people) album is around 100+megs while a 1080p movie, as shown by Pirates earlier, can range up to 9 gigs. 

Let's just say that the average person wants to spend $20 a month. Ten years ago, that would get you dial-up. Right now, that would get you around 1 mb/sec internet give or take a few and depending on your area. 

I say it will be another ten years before any kind of downloading service could penetrate the mass market simply because the average person is extremely impatient, especially with technology, and will not put up with waiting even a few hours for something they could waltz over to the store, buy, and watch in 30 mins or so.

Who said T1 would be the standard by 2000?

As for the $20 a month for dialup... All I can say is I spend $30 a month for 10mbps. Nice how anecdotal evidence works out, isn't it?

I'd say another 10 years is a far too conservative estimate. 10 years ago 33kbps was the norm, and look how far things have come in that time. A service like Netflix online movies allows you to start watching a film within minuets of a download beginging - something I think those impatient consumers would like. All that needs to happen is for a set top box to come along that has HD downloads. For example the AppleTV, or the newer tivo's. Hell, this is even something a cable provider could offer.

HD penetration is still too low for either HD format to take off anytime soon, not to mention that most consumers dont know about either. Case in point, many people set up their fancy new HD set and have no idea that you need special programming to get HD.

ssj12 said: it can lead to legal issues easily as it will expand movie piracy even more then it has. 
 @stranna - what file type are you extracting your files as? I rip mine as lossless audio and they are 4mbs a piece.

So, offering a legal means of downloading movies is going to increase internet piracy. Makes sense...

Oh, and are those "lossless" MP3s? lol

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

agabara said:
Tispower said:
Until internet speeds are vastly improved, that won't happen. And atm, the only way they can be improved, is by replacing the phone lines with fibre optics, and frankly, that's going to take longer than 2009!

Verizon has already started with fiber optics. It's called FiOS. It's not available everywhere, but is available in some places now. No need to wait for 2009. Speeds of up to 30 Mb/s: http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm

I will have to wait til 2009, unless I emigrate from the UK to the US lol =P

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Around the Network
sieanr said:

ssj12 said: it can lead to legal issues easily as it will expand movie piracy even more then it has.
@stranna - what file type are you extracting your files as? I rip mine as lossless audio and they are 4mbs a piece.

So, offering a legal means of downloading movies is going to increase internet piracy. Makes sense...

Actually I save my audio as mp4 or aac but I can save .mp3 that take up 7MBs a piece with Windows Media Player.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Man you guys have great internet connections. I have a fkn' 1Mb for around $30 month. The max here is 2mb for around $60. Damn third world country I live at...

Oh and BTW I don't mind downloading 8GB's for a movie. My usual download rate each month is like 40GB.

ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
ssj12 said: it can lead to legal issues easily as it will expand movie piracy even more then it has.

Actually I save my audio as mp4 or aac but I can save .mp3 that take up 7MBs a piece with Windows Media Player.

Those aren't lossless

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I fully agree. This is where we are headed. This is why Xbox made xbox live. This is why Sony made PSN. All major players know that we are headed to a downloaded service. Sony is hoping that the time frame that this becomes mainstream is after blu-ray has already gotten a superior foothold. Myself, I am not going to buy either format and eventually have all my tv sets wirelessly connected to one pc. That way we all have a dvr and basically on demand service at any time. I will probably do this early 2008. Once vista 64 has had a few improvements, or, I may go mac. Either way, buying a disc with the movie on it is only a fad. :)