By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Is More Important In A JRPG? Storyline or Characters?

The story makes a character.

Around the Network
g-value said:
Shadowblind said:

Good characters can MAKE the story work. So, characters.

How can good characters make a story work exactly?

If you have fun and interesting characters, whether or not the story can hold your interest usually falls into the background as long as the characters themselves(who your ALWAYS with) do.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Characters, if you don't like them then you can't care about the history.

they are intertwined. you have to care about a character to get involved in a story, and there has to be a plot that makes the character do something or go through something to make you interested in the first place. so its really a toss up, but i'd say story.

It depends on the level of the lesser.

A Good Story with Ok Characters is better then an Ok story with Great Characters.

However a Crappy story with Good Characters is better then a Good story with bad characters.

Around the Network

I would definitely say characters. If I don't have any interest in them, I don't care what they are doing. If I like the characters enough, however, I will be interested in what happens to them.

I have stopped playing quite a few games just because I don't like the characters. You just never escape them; they're in both the cut scenes and the battles.