By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the Wii won last week, this week and will win again next week in Japan.

First off - Let the Sony fans have their fun, it's not often they see their system on top in any region. They've had legitimate reason the cheer - why burst their bubble?

Secondly - The Wii IS underperforming in Japan compared to other markets (even though Nintendo has released more games there than any other market) and many wonder if what is happening in Japan will foreshadow what will happen in the west. Fair speculation.

Around the Network
VGhippy said:

It's because once you win a race there is no need to keep winning it. When the winner of a race crosses the finish line first, they have won. They can slow down, take a seat, grab some water and watch the runners up who have yet to even cover half as much distance as they have. They need not worry that the person in second place has covered slightly more ground than they have after sitting down and taking a victory drink because as cute as it is they are still just a runner up.

I'm writing this in response to several threads that have cropped up in the past few days involving people going gaga over the ps3 outselling the Wii by a couple of thousand for the last couple of weeks in Japan. My response is.... the ps3 is outselling the Wii because the Wii has won in Japan. There are now nearly 'eight million' Wii's in Japan which could be one of the main reasons for the slowdown in Wii sales. Near oversaturation. Japan is a small island and less than 130 million people live there. Assuming we remove infants, toddlers and people too old and infirm or sick to play computer games regularly we only have about 100 million people left. That is roughly one Wii for every twelve people. You really cannot justify cramming that much more into that island when the console is less than three years old and does not even have alternative models or colours.

Sorry, this is not meant to get anyone annoyed, but weekly sales should not be looked at in a vacuum and trends predicted from that. You have to look at what the population already has, because if everyone has something then of course it will sell less, who is there left to sell to?

Peace everyone.

Are u insisting the wii is the hare in the hare and the turtle race with that remark?

You do know the story and who one that race

I would like to see wat u'll create during the end of 09 wen FF13 and GT5 and a highly likely PS3 price cut come in Japan and who will be winning wat

Play Me

Whats impressive is the Wii is still selling strong and the price is higher than the 360.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

Considering the PS2 has sold ~24million in Japan, I think Wii has a bit more to go to over saturate the Japanese market.

Nintendo isn't stupid, they just know that once they do something in one market they have to put it in the rest. This means they really don't want to cut the price in Japan to spur sales, as that would push them to cut prices in other markets as well.

So, more realistically we'll see new colors coming out soon and a heavy push to get some Japanese centric games out. MH series won't come soon enough in my opinion. Also, probably a big Pokemon game would be great.

The difference is.... this race does not end at a certain distance, it is an endurance race.... in other words whichever console can go the furthest in the time they keep running.

Around the Network

I'd say the Tortoise and the Hare. But then I'd get into an argument with some fanboy and get banned.

Really I'd like how I can get banned for proving someone wrong. Even if it was a little harsh aren't we all big boys? I thought children are not supposed to be on without parental consent as well. Everyone is a little over sensitive with this flaming crap. Are you going to ban some guy you don't know from swearing at you in the middle of the street?

Wii fanboys you are the worst. PS3 and 360 fanboys are not much better though. You all are just a disgrace to videogamers everywhere. You are the people who start flame wars and then go cry after saying they are flaming you when they respond. Let me put it this way "All of your systems suck. If you are attached to a piece of plastic then you really need a life. If you defend a game system over human reasoning then you are the only true FAIL".

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

llewdebkram said:
pezus said:
__XBrawlX__ said:
pezus said:
Rei said:
The rabbit thought the same when he took a nap.

That's exactly what I was thinking

First of all, he was a "HARE", not a rabbit. :(

Second of all, he wasn't a game console with a 4.91mil lead

Hare, rabbit, game console...all the same

I think you will find this race never took place and it is in fact is a made up story.

I can say with almost certainty that a hare has never said said to a tortoise, 'hey fancy a race' and then gone on to have a  snooze against a tree whilst the tortoise triumphantly crosses the finsh line.

I alos suspect a wolf has never dressed up as a sheep or a grandma with big teeth.

I think you lack both an imagination and the ability to understand the moral of stories.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

NanakiXI said:
I'd say the Tortoise and the Hare. But then I'd get into an argument with some fanboy and get banned.

Really I'd like how I can get banned for proving someone wrong. Even if it was a little harsh aren't we all big boys? I thought children are not supposed to be on without parental consent as well. Everyone is a little over sensitive with this flaming crap. Are you going to ban some guy you don't know from swearing at you in the middle of the street?

Wii fanboys you are the worst. PS3 and 360 fanboys are not much better though. You all are just a disgrace to videogamers everywhere. You are the people who start flame wars and then go cry after saying they are flaming you when they respond. Let me put it this way "All of your systems suck. If you are attached to a piece of plastic then you really need a life. If you defend a game system over human reasoning then you are the only true FAIL".

best comment ever

the wii is going to win in japan.. dragon quest X + monster hunter 3

Nintendo is a constant in life. Nintendo is the place where you can always go to have a great time, whether that is alone or together with friends. Nintendo made dozens of all time classics which are more than just amazing games. Nintendo is a gaming company. Nintendo raised our sorry asses better than a parent ever could. Nintendo is a religion. Nintendo is what drove gaming forward and what continues to drive gaming forward. Nintendo saved gaming in the '80s. Nintendo is saving gaming again right now.

Nintendo IS the industry. Nintendo IS gaming. - BY RolStoppable

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

The big game mentioned earlier a la Wii fit or sports, will be Wii sports resort. Couple that with MH tri, price drops, bundling and a price cut sometime in the future and i'm sure the Wii will be fine. Also there could be some credence in the saturation point too. I can buy into the fact that ps2 sold so well because of failures/ replacements. Also you cannot compare Wii sales to handhelds. I mean, for example a 4 person household can have at least 4 handhelds but probably only 1 Wii. So when working out raw numbers a console can reach, there should be a division of 4 in some cases, due to there only being 1 Wii per household. That's if 4 is the average number of person per household in Japan.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

next week musaruma and monster hunter G wii

a up on wii hardware i'm sure