By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anybody Notice The PS3 Is About To Pass The Wii In HW To SW Tie Ratio WW

Anybody Notice The PS3 Is About To Pass The Wii In HW To SW Tie Ratio WW

Anybody notice the Wii is still selling more HW and SW?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

2 reasons why.

A consoles attach rate increases when it is experiencing decreasing sales YoY. This is because those who bought consoles 1 year ago are still buying games, but theres's a smaller increase in consoles the attach rate goes up.

PS3 has a YoY decrease of around 155, AFAIK
Wii has an increase of around 30-40% AFAIK
It makes sense that the PS3's attach ratio would be catching up to the Wii's

also, it may only be a temporary thing caused by the release of big games that didn't push hardware for the PS3 too much - SF4, RE5 and K2

Nice thread. You can learn a lot reading through these.

Special thanks for the perspective The Source :)

BHR-3 said:
griffinA said:

wooow.

Don't you understand that the more systems sold the lower the tie ratio is? Look the DS has a 4 tie ratio. Yet do we think it is bad at selling software? No we don't.

Tie ratios don't matter. Total software sold does and in this case the wii has sold twice as much SW units WW.

At the end of the day the Wii sells much more SW than the PS3. Thats what publishers care about. Not averages.

thats false ive been monitering the 360s as it sells more HW its tie ratio has also increased

thats aslo false or very close if you thake out Wii sports the SW isnt doubled the ps3s witch it should be considering that it has more than double the HW and u have to consider that the ps3 was late in EU and its libary is smaller and its games cost more

It's well known that the X360 has an incredible attach rate and it's kind of an "exception" for that.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

BengaBenga said:
The Anarchyz said:
It's true that publishers care more about software sales than attach rate, etc.

Now, how much 3rd party software the Wii, PS3 and 360 have sold? that's the real question here because 3rd party publishers don't win anything knowing that Wii can sell the hell out of 1st party games, same with PS3 or 360, unless they're measuring the genres... 3rd parties care about how much 3rd party software can sell on the consoles...

According to Iwata Wii sold more 3rd party software in 2008 than either 360 or PS3.

It's possible, but i didn't see the numbers (total sales, total games, average sales/games, etc.), just the statement...

Around the Network

As increasing numbers of people buy Wii's to do Wii Fit, and play Wii Sports, then the attachment rate is going to drop.

griffinA said:
Look I know your're a PS3 fanboy so anymore arguing with you will continue to be fruitless but just a few things.

1. The size of the software library has nothing to do with software tie ratio. Tie ratio only has a bearing on SOLD software.

2. If you want to take out wii sports even though its not bundled in Japan be my guest. But you also have to take out ALL other bundled software on the other systems to be fair.

3. As Chrizum said the Gamecube had a tie ratio of 10. A lot of good that did it.

/thread, im out

Chill man,  saying things like this can get you in trouble. Geez.

Anybody Notice The PS3 Is About To Pass The Wii In HW To SW Tie Ratio WW

Yes .... Do I care? .... No.

The Anarchyz said:
BengaBenga said:
The Anarchyz said:

Now, how much 3rd party software the Wii, PS3 and 360 have sold? that's the real question here because 3rd party publishers don't win anything knowing that Wii can sell the hell out of 1st party games, same with PS3 or 360, unless they're measuring the genres... 3rd parties care about how much 3rd party software can sell on the consoles...

According to Iwata Wii sold more 3rd party software in 2008 than either 360 or PS3.

It's possible, but i didn't see the numbers (total sales, total games, average sales/games, etc.), just the statement...

It's not just possible. If Iwata makes that statement it's true and backed by facts. By law he is required to share correct information that could influence the share. So despite not having the numbers, we know that Wii sells most 3rd party software of all consoles. Despite usually being left out on the big ones like in 2008 GTA, MGS4 and Fallout 3.

BengaBenga said:
The Anarchyz said:
BengaBenga said:
The Anarchyz said:

It's not just possible. If Iwata makes that statement it's true and backed by facts. By law he is required to share correct information that could influence the share. So despite not having the numbers, we know that Wii sells most 3rd party software of all consoles. Despite usually being left out on the big ones like in 2008 GTA, MGS4 and Fallout 3.

Correct information is relative, for example, when you say "i sell more merchandise than the other stores" but you have in your store all kinds of products and all of them sell low, of course the totals look more than a store that has a few kinds of products but most of them are hits...

That's why i like to see numbers, tomorrow Sony can come up and say "we have more companies backing us" and that could be true, only that the majority of those companies are mediocre and MS or Ninty can live without them...

I'm not bashing Wii, i love the system and i'm a Nintendo fan since the NES, i just like to see down to earth facts backed up by real statistics (probably it's in my nature since it's part of what i do) instead of simple statements that can mean 2 or more things...