By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: The Wii's Promising RPG Future - Agree or Disagree?

Why do people endlessly argue about whether Zelda is an RPG or not? Some think it is, some think it isn't. Just leave it at that. People have argued about this for decades.

On topic, the Wii is the number one selling console in both the US and Japan. The RPGs will start to appear more and more on the Wii as time goes on. Although I must say, I feel the same way as the author, I thought it would have happened a year ago.

That being said, I am sure there will at least be a few more good PS3/360 RPGs on the way as well.

Around the Network
IxisNaugus said:
Kasz216 said:
IxisNaugus said:
Kasz216 said:
IxisNaugus said:

I'm sorry, why is it when a game has a few RPG elements some people go off and place it in the genre? The Legend of Zelda is not an RPG series, it is an action/adventure series. MGB, please remove it from whatever RPG compilation you decide to make. I don't know how anyone could even assume the Legend of Zelda series is of the RPG genre.

And Torillian, your method of defining an RPG is flawed. By your logic, as Khuutra stated, the DS Castlevania's are all RPG's, which they are not, they are Action-adventure games, with some RPG elements.

All that said and done though, i'm probably inclined to agree with the OP. And while i'm not like most people and play nothing but RPG's, thinking the genre is some sort of god among genre's, i find most RPG's i play rather fun, with the exception of some, like the numbered FF titles. I look forward to most of the upcoming Wii RPG's actually, especially Muramasa, Tales of Graces and Monster Hunter 3.

Because Nintendo says so?

Genres are largely chosen by the developer if you ask me.

I mean hell a game like MLB Power Pros meats every definition of an RPG game but it's labeled a sports game.

Really? Where was this said.

Even if Nintendo said it is, a games genre is decided entirely by its gameplay style, regardless of what genre the developer claims it is. To say otherwise is to contradict the whole definition of the word 'Genre'.

Gameplay style.  Action RPGs play exactly like Action Adventure games.  So no.  Plenty of "Rpgs" play just like Zelda.

So it REALLY doesn't.

The term RPG no longer exists.  It's been a pointless nebulus non existant thing ever since it moved past the definition of being turnbased only.

What are you talking about? Action RPG's do not play exactly like Action-adventure games. Plenty of RPG's play exactly like Zelda? In what way? A massive overworld? Dungeons? Because the gameplay style is vastly different.

I was lead to believe that experience points were a dominant feature within mainstream RPG's, why does Zelda not have this, or many other RPG elements if it is of said genre. In fact, Zelda has very little RPG elements.

@ Kenology. The boxart is clearly lying.

An expierence system is not gameplay.

Furthermore there are RPGs without EXP.

For the love of god ZELDA IS NOT A RPG! RPGs are all about grinding and improving character stats. Zelda ahve NONE of these.

BTFeather55 said:

Sure, it's going to get some rpgs but Unless FFXIII and Versus XIII both fail in Japan, the PS3's install base will also be large enough that it continues to get jrpgs of its own too.

Of course the larger the install bases for Wii and PS3 continue to grow (10 million for Wii, 5 Million for PS3), with less than 1.5 million 360's sold in Japan, then the less exclusive 360 jrpgs there will be.

The PS3 is not gonna outsell the Wii in 2009.  It's just not.  Irregardless of if FFXIII is released or not.

As for the Zelda/RPG debate... let's all just agree to disagree.  Like PipForever said, it's been done to death.

Strife91 said:

For the love of god ZELDA IS NOT A RPG! RPGs are all about grinding and improving character stats. Zelda ahve NONE of these.

No they are not...

Around the Network

hm, the RPG future of Wii seems blinding bright to me : O

especially if you think of DQ10 : )

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I wasn't aware that RPG stood for "Statistics Playing Game"

vdoesntforgive said:

Nippon Ichi's SRPG's would qualify under that title.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Considering the install base, I can see the Wii getting a lot more attention from developers, although some still shy away from it because of the power of the HD consoles when compared to it.

Anyways, I don't see Agito outselling the console version of FFXIII, when using past FF games as a basis for both the consoles and handhelds. Of course, the releases of RE5 and Yakuza 3 has shown that the PS3/360 can push some very nice software numbers when taking the small install base in Japan.

vanguardian1 said:
vdoesntforgive said:

Nippon Ichi's SRPG's would qualify under that title.

Though Nippin Ichi's SRPG's aren't the be all end all of what make an RPG, an RPG.