By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hecker Apologizes for Wii Comments

BenKenobi88 said: Well heaven forbid Nintendo not wanting bad press spreading around because of one man's opinion.
I am a strong supporter of freedom of speech and the press. You take the good press with the bad and never suppress it. Nintendo's world will not collapse because one man hates their product.

Around the Network

Death2009 said: I am a strong supporter of freedom of speech and the press. You take the good press with the bad and never suppress it. Nintendo's world will not collapse because one man hates their product.
I highly doubt Nintendo had any hand in supressing someone's "freedom of speech or press" by forcing Heckler to issue an apology, much more likely it was his own bosses at Maxis and EA who didn't want the bad press. I'm sure Nintendo remembers that only a few days ago there was a huge shitstorm started when Sony tried to strongarm the guys at Kotaku by blackballing them from this very conference.

life is a boomerang ... next time when he doesn't like something he will hopefully say it in a nicer way ... ... when we are talking about "apologize" - sentinel, sorry for my '...' thread btw - i like the ps3 but it is too expensive for me and my girlfriend is satisfied with the wii ... happy gaming all

Death2009 said: I am a strong supporter of freedom of speech and the press. You take the good press with the bad and never suppress it. Nintendo's world will not collapse because one man hates their product.
Death2009, freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. This is about the work place. You can't call your clients product "a piece of shit" and not expect reprecussions. In most businesses he would have been fired for his out burst. His statement could have potentially caused EA and Maxis problems with Nintendo. For example, lets say I'm a car sales men. The company I work for sells Toyota, Chevrolet, and Fords. What would think would happen to me if I singled out one of those brands publically and called them "a piece of shit"? I would be fired. Because if weren't, either of those vendors could with hold product or worse decide not to do business with my company because of my statement. The bottom line is this. Hecker could have stated his opinion in a professional manner and everything would have been okay. He conducted himself like the average forum troll which garnered him extra attention. This attention shined a bad light on his employers. He could have said. "I'm disappointed in the Wii. I don't like how the Wii features what is essentially an overclocked Gamecube chipset. I think that this, along with Nintendo's new controller, promotes overly simplistic games. I think that games are an art form and that Nintendo hasn't provided an adequate way to display that art." Same thing he said, but I stated it like someone in his position should have.

Darc hit the nail on the head. No matter how much I'd be inclined to agree with the guy about the Wiis horsepower, I'd NEVER do that if I was making games for the company! Job Security > Free Speech Obviously the man didn't decide to think before he spoke. He could of done things far more tasteful, thought provoking, and nice to Nintendo, with still adressing his issues with the Wii platform.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Death2009 said: I am a strong supporter of freedom of speech and the press. You take the good press with the bad and never suppress it. Nintendo's world will not collapse because one man hates their product. Darc Requiem said: Death2009, freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. This is about the work place. You can't call your clients product "a piece of shit" and not expect reprecussions. In most businesses he would have been fired for his out burst. His statement could have potentially caused EA and Maxis problems with Nintendo. For example, lets say I'm a car sales men. The company I work for sells Toyota, Chevrolet, and Fords. What would think would happen to me if I singled out one of those brands publically and called them "a piece of shit"? I would be fired. Because if weren't, either of those vendors could with hold product or worse decide not to do business with my company because of my statement. The bottom line is this. Hecker could have stated his opinion in a professional manner and everything would have been okay. He conducted himself like the average forum troll which garnered him extra attention. This attention shined a bad light on his employers. He could have said. "I'm disappointed in the Wii. I don't like how the Wii features what is essentially an overclocked Gamecube chipset. I think that this, along with Nintendo's new controller, promotes overly simplistic games. I think that games are an art form and that Nintendo hasn't provided an adequate way to display that art." Same thing he said, but I stated it like someone in his position should have.
A agree ... Most individuals and companies are actually able to handle constructive criticism if it is phrased in an honest, non-insulting way. On another note, I'm pretty sure his boss would be more conserned with the outrage from Nintendo's fans than from Nintendo themselves. Executives are either successful or failures depending on a 2% swing in their profit; if some of Nintendo's biggest fans decided to boycott EA's Wii/DS games for a year that could have a noticeable impact on game sales (and profits).

Darc Requiem said: I am a strong supporter of freedom of speech and the press. You take the good press with the bad and never suppress it. Nintendo's world will not collapse because one man hates their product. Death2009, freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. This is about the work place. You can't call your clients product "a piece of shit" and not expect reprecussions. In most businesses he would have been fired for his out burst. His statement could have potentially caused EA and Maxis problems with Nintendo. For example, lets say I'm a car sales men. The company I work for sells Toyota, Chevrolet, and Fords. What would think would happen to me if I singled out one of those brands publically and called them "a piece of shit"? I would be fired. Because if weren't, either of those vendors could with hold product or worse decide not to do business with my company because of my statement. The bottom line is this. Hecker could have stated his opinion in a professional manner and everything would have been okay. He conducted himself like the average forum troll which garnered him extra attention. This attention shined a bad light on his employers. He could have said. "I'm disappointed in the Wii. I don't like how the Wii features what is essentially an overclocked Gamecube chipset. I think that this, along with Nintendo's new controller, promotes overly simplistic games. I think that games are an art form and that Nintendo hasn't provided an adequate way to display that art." Same thing he said, but I stated it like someone in his position should have.
Yeah, that's about right, you can say whatever you want you just have to put a nice suit on it, he just sounding like he was mad at someone and didn't know how to conduct himself. Besides, he wants to his job so he said he's sorry. Look at this, the Wii is doing well right now, image if they would have got mad and said don't bring your games to our system, true this would hurt Nintendo but image if they were to win the "Console Wars" and EA couldn't even make a game for the system.

zukaus said: So I guess Wii fans and Wii haters can all agree on one thing then, this guy is a fool one way or the other and about as insightful as your average forum troll. Death2009 said: I guess. He is either and idiot for saying it or an idiot for apologizing for it..either way he is an idiot.
I finally found a post of yours I can agree with, although I personally think he was an idiot for saying what he said the way he said it, and I think he's a pussy for apologizing like he did.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Vienna said: life is a boomerang ... next time when he doesn't like something he will hopefully say it in a nicer way ... ... when we are talking about "apologize" - sentinel, sorry for my '...' thread btw - i like the ps3 but it is too expensive for me and my girlfriend is satisfied with the wii ... happy gaming all
Don't worry about it, I didn't. Pretty soon we're going to have all the forum guidelines ironned out and in plain view of everyone, so hopefully such confusion about what threads are and are not appropriate will be eradicated. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, and personally, I agree that the PS3 is too expensive, and I won't be buying one until/unless they are under $300. It's just that that thread was a little too much over the top. Much respect for the apology, though.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Darc Requiem said: Death2009, freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. This is about the work place. You can't call your clients product "a piece of shit" and not expect reprecussions. In most businesses he would have been fired for his out burst. His statement could have potentially caused EA and Maxis problems with Nintendo. For example, lets say I'm a car sales men. The company I work for sells Toyota, Chevrolet, and Fords. What would think would happen to me if I singled out one of those brands publically and called them "a piece of shit"? I would be fired. Because if weren't, either of those vendors could with hold product or worse decide not to do business with my company because of my statement. The bottom line is this. Hecker could have stated his opinion in a professional manner and everything would have been okay. He conducted himself like the average forum troll which garnered him extra attention. This attention shined a bad light on his employers. He could have said. "I'm disappointed in the Wii. I don't like how the Wii features what is essentially an overclocked Gamecube chipset. I think that this, along with Nintendo's new controller, promotes overly simplistic games. I think that games are an art form and that Nintendo hasn't provided an adequate way to display that art." Same thing he said, but I stated it like someone in his position should have.
Exactly. Great post.