By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: Nintendo saying no to cross-platform MMOs

god, MMOs are the worst thing created by man.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Rhonin the wizard said:

Final Fantasy XI Producer Hiromichi Tanaka presented a keynote about future Square-Enix Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games at the Game Developers Conference in Austin, Texas today. Tanaka stated that the Wii is not a platform being considered for MMOs at this time.

"As for Nintendo Wii, it will be pretty difficult if you were to cross-platform for a couple reasons," Tanaka responded when asked about the possibility of a cross-platform MMO appearing on the console. "One is that Nintendo's currently not allowing different cross-platform titles, and as you know, the resolution differences make it harder for us to make cross-platform games. Currently we're not looking at Nintendo Wii as a platform."

Tanaka did state that an MMO on Wii is technically possible so long as the console receives a hard drive attachment. Nintendo has made no statements about producing such a device for Wii.

The only true MMO to appear on a Nintendo platform thus far is the GameCube title Homeland. The game was created by developer Chunsoft and saw a limited release in Japan back in March 2005. The other server-based online RPGs for GameCube allowed up to four players in the Phantasy Star Online franchise, costing approximately 10 USD per month for a Hunter's License.

The Wiire will have more on the issue of Wii MMOs in the future.

http://www.thewiire.com/news/941/1/SquareEnix_Wii_MMOs_Possible_Not_Currently_Allowed_by_Nintendo

From what I understand cross-platform means that a game on the PS3 could communicate with one on a different console. This would not be a problem if you were to create an MMO exclusively for the Wii. He said the problem is the lack of a hard drive, how can this be possible when the GameCube had an MMO, although it didn't have a hard drive.

Phantasy Star Online allowed only four players at a time. That is not an MMO.

The article talks about a game called Homeland.

I meant the last paragraph, which I should have highlighted.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

johnsobas said:

Blizzards accountent agrees, dude gets no time off.

johnsobas said:

lol, I kinda agree... takes too much time; games seemingly boring but surprising addicting...

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Soriku said:
SE should STFU and go to the console with the highest userbase or where they think will make the biggest money without being hesitant (with ths PS3 and stuff). No offense.

I think they need to step up their Wii love. They already have 4 RPG games on the PS3 and another supposed announcement at TGS, therefore S-E have given Sony plenty of love.

Around the Network

Haha who would care about square enix's MMO? What FFXI part 2: The Boner Tales? FFXI was the worst MMO behind Galaxies....

Well they most likely learned from FFXI so who knows maybe their next MMO might be huge.

Hey, I liked FFXI, I played it for 14 months. The longest MMO I ever played continuously. The reason why I had to stop was at that point there was almost no soloing (White Mages in FF games are always underpowered.)

MMO's just don't have that much influence over the consoles.

EDIT:

@Hus: I am glad to see you opening up your horizons and taking such an interest in Wii.  So you thinking of getting one?  I think you'll like it even though there are no MMO's.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Hus, Blizzard's accountant is busy once a month writing down revenue of 135 million dollars, then spends 28 days wondering how they make so much money.

It kinda saddens me, a cheap bastard, that all companies are running to the MMO wagon like it was a free blowjob from a young Jenna Jameson. Not all consoles are on the internet, and there certainly will be a saturation point, as how many people can justify 75 bucks a month for 5 monthly MMO fees? Plus, I pay for a game once, just because you want to overcharge me for bandwidth and a server doesn't mean I'm getting value.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Here is a portion of an Interview by Adam Riley & Lesley Smith of Hiromichi Tanaka

AR: Do you think it’s possible that Final Fantasy XI could make it onto a system like the Wii?

HT: First of all it’s a bit difficult at the moment because of the technology side. We can’t really have FFIX on Wii because of the specs – so it’s a bit difficult to have it on Wii. But also there’s another thing that makes it difficult to have MMOs on Wii because Nintendo’s style doesn’t allow people to contact this third person, unless you are friends – they have different concepts. So, unless we come to agreement…and even if we do come to some agreement at some point, we are not sure if we have enough staff / manpower for people to work on FFXI for Wii…

Since Square is making an MMO for the Xbox 360 and Vista, there is not enough staff members to work of FFXI for the Wii.

Chrono Trigger being of the VC is also discussed:

AR: *Ahem* Recently Chrono Cross was mentioned in an interview with you and you stated there would not be a sequel to Chrono Cross because it would be too difficult to get the original team together again…? Does this rule out any possibility for the Chrono series in the future at all? Because Nintendo fans are always asking about a Chrono Trigger remake…

HT: There’s still a possibility, but since the main director is not working for Square Enix now – he’s working on other titles in a different company, Namco Bandai, it’s a bit difficult to ask him to come back and be the head of a team again. And also, Kato-san is working on the fourth game in the Mana series. So there’s still a possibility that he might think he might want to make it again…

AR: It seems to be…the Chrono series seems to have a huge following across the Internet. People are always asking about Chrono Trigger, maybe it will appear on the Virtual Console for the Wii…?

HT: It’s a 50-50 possibility – we’re not sure yet. It contains a really difficult problem of copyright issues, such as Akira Toriyama’s artwork. We’re discussing with Nintendo, but haven’t really come to any conclusion.

Link to the Interview:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/6783/

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba