By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furai no Syren 3 Screens For DS - Background on Series

Posted by johnh on June 27, 2007 4:00 AM at GamaSutra
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/06/_play_architecture_of_the_myst.php#more

Furai no Syren 3 Screens for Wii (subject is wrong) - Background on Seriues

Taloon's Mystery Dungeon

I've mostly been covering the traditional roguelikes of late, which are primarily terminal games with roots back to the very origins of computer gaming, to the neglect of the extensive Japanese console branch of the genre. They’ve had commercial roguelikes all over the place, thanks mostly to a little company called ChunSoft, known for the "Mysterious Dungeon," a.k.a. Fushigi no Dungeon, games.

The first game was a licensed game based off of one of the player characters in Dragon Quest IV, and since then it has crossed over with the Final Fantasy, Tower of Druaga, and even Pokemon franchises, as well as a "default" character, Shiren the Wanderer, whose games are usually the best of the series.

As ChunSoft has found inspiration from the roguelikes, so have other Japanese publishers found inspiration from ChunSoft, and so the Mysterious Dungeon games have quite a lot of imitators. Off the top of my head, there's Azure Dreams, Climax Landers (Time Stalkers in the U.S.) and the Ancient Cave segments of later Estopolis/Lufia games. Lufia: The Legend Returns for the GBC makes that the entire game.

Sega made a rather uninspired roguelike in the form of Fatal Labyrinth for the Genesis. The recent Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja is a fairly close example of the type, and the popular homebrew WonderSwan game Dicing Knight has some roguelike aspects as well. Even Parasite Eve has an optional random section in form of the Chrysler Building.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now a more up to date edition is coming out tentatively named "Shiren, the Wanderer". I'm looking forward to it. I love rogue likes!Here's some screen shots.

Around the Network

Furai no Syren 3 is on the Wii.

Thanks, fixed that. Shiren is definitely for the Wii! I got it mixed up in my head with the next Izunza, wandering Ninja.

That would have to be some pretty advanced upscaling for that to be a DS game, not to mention more detailed textures than it can handle (even though the system does have texture compression).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Dang. I thought it was a good looking DS game...now it's a mediocre looking Wii game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )