By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie demands to know why RE5 and some other Capcom games aren't on Wii

KylieDog said:
Megadude said:

I thought Core was short for hardcore. Now "Core" seems to be any game that doesn't sell well on Wii. You see PS3 and 360 fans bicker all the time. But you'll never see a PS3 fan say: haze didn't do well because it's not 'core'" or a 360 fan say "too human failed because it's not core". Only Wii fans will actually defend all the shovelware on Wii. Developers make shovelware for all the systems. But it's Wii owners who by games like "Carnival Games" by the MLLIONS. PS2/Gamecube ports by the MILLIONS.

It is, the confusion comes from Nintendo trying to redefine what it means to suit the image they want to give off.  Calling something hardcore does not suit their casual audience which is the Wii's main bread and butter.  So they try to re-invent the terms 'core games/gamer' by trying to imprint what is reffered to as the 'core market' onto those terms also, when they are very different.

There are two definitions of core in common use, core is not short for 'hardcore' in either of them. One is the marketing definition used to describe consumers by how much they use or buy the product. This goes hardcore, core, casual and non-customer. Here, hardcore are a small group of enthusiasts, core are your regular users and usually form the bulk of your revenue, casual are usually in greater number but don't use too much, and non-customers is self expanatory.

The other definition is that used in 'disruption'. The core in this describes the old market, the market most catered for by the industry. Nintendo uses this definition because they are following the disruption strategy/philosophy. The rest of the industry tends to use the former definition.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

I guess context wins the debate then, I forgot about the 2nd part of demotrucks post. V_V

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

"Core" and "Hardcore" are not interchangeable terms (or at least haven't been for a very long time) ...

"Hardcore" is a term which constantly refers to different games and (in most contexts) the best definition for the term would be "The games I see as being more desireable" ... "Core" is a term which refers to the games, genres and fanbase that has existed in the industry for a long time and represents the centeral element of gaming. On top of that "Hardcore" is a term that can be used to order games ("Ninja Gaiden is a much more 'Hardcore' game than Viewtiful Joe") while "Core" is a category with no ordering ("Metal Gear Solid and Mario Galaxy are both 'Core' games")

Because the Wii is just technically too powerful of a console :p Duh

tuoyo said:
RPG said:
Why would Wii owners want RE5 when they get a RE2 remake.......on rails

Exactly

this

Around the Network
Kzoellner said:
tuoyo said:
RPG said:

Exactly

this

There is a lot of ignorance here. RE4(Wii) sold more than 1.55 million just in case you don't know.

atma998 said:
Kzoellner said:
tuoyo said:
RPG said:

Exactly

this

ignorance.... I like RE4. But I dont care for RE5 and love RE2. yes ignorance you are right.... We are just stating a personal opinion why for us. But not everyone is going to want RE2 over RE5. We know RE5 will sell to all hell. But doesn't make sense to bust ass when you know a remake will sell with out all the crazy work to me. Think about it... Pay little t edit the controls or pay a ton to completely redesign/downgrade a game to be on a new system. Atma998 lets try a new word from the webster dictionary....

Garnett said:
I demand to know why there Madworld and other games are not on Xbox/Playstation?

logic of the day

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane

Capcom should make a re2 remake for wii until then I won´t be happy.