By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are Sony Undermining The PS3?

Rpruett said:
Garnett said:

What about my sig?

The PS2 may be making Sony a little profit but its not gonna keep selling for ever,Get rid of the PS2,Throw BC back in and boom a REAL ps3,not a gimped version and i know a 350 PS3 would out sell a 200 Xbox.

So when Devs start going 360 exclusive because the gap is about say 10 million or even 12 million,and 360 games start out selling PS3 games 5:1 then you can say "only fanboys care about market".

I don't need to say anything else about your sig-line.  It says it all.

Sure the PS2 isn't going to keep selling forever but it's going to sell for another year atleast. (Especially at $100).  Once the PS2 is discontinued then Sony can add in BC. Not until though. 

Garnett said:

Thats stupid,While sony is living on a dying console with no competitor,while the PS3 the next gen console has the same future as the PS2 has now,very little to none.

And didn't you just say above that the PS3 has the 'same' future as the PS2 does?  Which is none?   Yes.  A console that is tracking higher in units sold in similar time frames at a higher price has no future.  Spoken like a true level-headed rational (Unbiased) person.

I've seen more recent multi-platform titles sell in favor of the PS3 than the 360.  (Even with that vaunted 8 million unit gap). Do you really think that having a 10 million unit gap would drastically change a developers outlook. (Especially given the cost of developing these HD games?) .   Ofcourse it wouldn't.  The sales increase would be marginal at best.  

There also is no evidence that the sales gap will definitely reach 10 million.   As we don't know when Sony will cut the price.  (It could be as soon as E3).   There is almost a 100% guarantee that the 360 won't reach a 12 million gap for quite sometime (Which Sony would assuredly drop the price before then).

And since when do multi-platform games on the 360 even come remotely close to outselling their PS3 counterparts by 5-1? The 360 even on a good day usually struggles to get a 2-1 sales lead over the PS3 version (4 million additional users within the userbase all buying the same game MIGHT get the multi-platform games to a 5-1 margin...MIGHT, If ALL 4 million extra console owners purchase this game).  More often than not, if it does sell higher than a 2-1,  It's a port of the game released many months or years after the original version has been out on 360/PC or 360 as well.

Sounds like a bunch of fanboy delusion to me.

Never mind im not even gonna try to.

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
Has nothing to do with faith and everything to do with making a profit. They arent going to cut the price of the PS3 until in makes sense finacially. Which it doesnt right now. They have faith in it, look at all of the exclusive games coming out for it this year and the beginning of next year. If they didnt have faith in it, would you see that many games coming out?

This.

4 ≈ One

Garnett said:

I wouldn't either.  Save yourself the embarassment.

Rpruett said:
Garnett said:

Not embarassment,but trouble of trying to explain to you why the PS3 dosent have a good future if Sony dosent push the PS3.

Garnett said:
Rpruett said:
Garnett said:

Not embarassment,but trouble of trying to explain to you why the PS3 dosent have a good future if Sony dosent push the PS3.

Why would Sony kill off the most successful video game system in the history of video games prematurely?  If you haven't owned a PS2 yet.  You probably AREN'T going to consider owning a PS3/360 for atleast 4 or more years.  (Given your track record).   Sony is not pushing PS2 at the sacrifice of the PS3.   My god man,  use your brain.

Around the Network
reask said:
theprof00 said:
reask how does what you say make any sense? The PS2 is very much profitable and it helps support the ps3 indirectly by getting people into the playstation brand and helps it directly by having extra funds available.
PS3 is doing fine and has a huge lineup this year, I mean huge.

If they do drop the price I don't see it going any lower than 350$ and I really doubt they will before ff13 comes out.

Maybe I live on a different planet as I just dont get how undermining your new product by announcing a price cut on your older product can help you.

And just so you understand that this sort of thing happens all the time.

For example,  I just bought a new Samsung HDTV.  Samsung has cut the prices of all of it's 'older' models to make room for their newer, more expensive models.  Does this undermine their new TVs?   No.  Because the consumers of their newer models of TVs are going to purchase it regardless.  People on more of a budget are not going to go after the newer models for awhile but will gobble up the cheapened 'older' version.

If you went out and bought a car today.  The 09' models are already out and the 10' models will be out very soon.  You would have a much easier time finding a better deal on the 09'  (Which 09'/10'  versions of the car both sticker for the same price).  Why?   The companies want to push their older products out the door.  This isn't to 'undermine' their new 2010 models in anyway.

Software?  Why does Call of Duty 4 still sit on the shelves when Call of Duty 5 is now available?   Doesn't that undermine CoD5? 

Microsoft didn't discontinue the Xbox because they didn't want to undermine the 360. They discontinued the Xbox because it wasn't selling enough to justify producing it anymore.

There are countless of other examples of this in business.  It makes perfect business sense to do what Sony just did with the PS2. (Just like it makes perfect business sense to do what all these other companies do with their older products).  It helps promote your name and build company loyalty within the consumer.  

I had a great experience with PS1/PS2 overall.  Why wouldn't I have a great one with PS3, I haven't been let down yet?  This was one of the reasons why I made the PS3 purchase that I did.  While loyalty isn't the end all, be all.  Loyalty certainly is a major reason as to why Nintendo has survived the 'lean' years.

In several years, the prices between the 360/PS3 are going to be razor thin.  Sometimes being satisfied with the PS2 and specific PS2/PS3 franchises will be enough of a deciding factor to send you to the PS3 brand (When you decided to upgrade).