By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix Says FFXIII to Use "Nearly 100%" of PS3 Power

Final Fantasy XIII is looking to be a showpiece for the PlayStation 3, and Square Enix is confident that it will push the system to its limits. Kotaku reports that, speaking to Japanese magazine Dengeki PlayStation 3, producer Yoshinori Kitase addressed some questions about the game. "Doesn't the demo use about 50 percent of [the PlayStation 3's] power?" he said. "Of course, I think the retail version will make use of nearly 100 percent."

As a comparison, he commented that this game will be to the PlayStation 3 what Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X were to the PlayStation and PS2, respectively. But, he reassured that the game won't require disc swapping, at least on the PlayStation 3, due to the capacity of Blu-Ray and PS3 harddrive space.

Sony CEO Kaz Hirai recently made waves when he commented that the console was made "hard to program for" in order to pace the flow of taking full advantage of the console. Square Enix has usually been a trendsetter when it comes to packing punch on Sony's systems. If Final Fantasy XIII does take almost full advantage of the hardware, we can bet other developers will take it as an example to follow.

The other elephant in the room, of course, is the Xbox 360 version. Since it will be ported after the PlayStation 3 version is finished, it probably isn't on the minds of the developers. But if the game is really pressing the PS3 that hard, we'll have to see if any compromises are necessary for the 360.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173514

So does this mean the ps3 is peaking when this game comes out???

thoughts?

Predictions

GT5 will sell 3.2million + first week on ps3 (made 06 March 2010)

FFXIII Versus will have higher Metacritic scores than FFXIII after the first month.... Bet going on with perpride - loser changes sig for a month

KH3 will be PS3 EXCLUSIVE - willing to bet removal from vgchartz for a month

Around the Network

If that statement is true, and if the 360 version is comparable to the PS3 version, all hell is going to break loose with fanboys.

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playstation-3-news/final-fantasy-xiii-utilize-100-ps3s-power-105323.html

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane

wfz said:

If that statement is true, and if the 360 version is comparable to the PS3 version, all hell is going to break loose with fanboys.

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

It's gonna look like Killzone 2/Uncharted 2/at least MGS4?

HOLY SHIT! :P

Around the Network

It should look much better ^

But if it does really use 100% or near that figure then is that the best in gaming we will hope to see from ps3??? at such an early stage of the supposed 10 year cycle

Predictions

FFXIII Versus will have higher Metacritic scores than FFXIII after the first month.... Bet going on with perpride - loser changes sig for a month

"It's gonna be what FF VII was for PS1 and FFX for PS2"

Aw, worst looking FF on the platform? 'kay.

^ I think he was meaning quality wise

i.e 13 will be comparable to some of the greatest ff games

Predictions

Yeah, I hope. I wouldn't count on it though.

I really don't care much about Final Fantasy, but when I read this story I couldn't help but wonder what all of this means for the 360 version. If the game will use 100% of the PS3, what does that mean for the less powerful 360 without the guarantee of a hard drive on every console and without the storage space of Blu-ray discs? Are Squenix full of shit or is the 360 version going to be noticeably worse and on many discs?

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.