By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Blue Dragon sell 1 million copies?

I'd say the only possible scenario would be

Japan - 210,000 (already done according to VGChartz but Sakaguchi says its already 300,000??? Did VGChartz not track a certain bundle or is he exagerating sales?)

US - 500,000

Others - 300,000 

Around the Network

No way they sold 300000 in Japan where their install base for 360 is 400000.
210000 is already suprisingly good considering that.

Either way I doubt this will even make half-million point seeing the weak start in US charts.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Its possible, only if Microsoft advertise Blue Dragon good. I haven't seen one commercial yet about this game and it seems they haven't reached the mainstream. In my GameStop's and EBGames stores I see that they advertise the game but not on TV yet.

Eh...

1m is definately possible. It all just depends on how the legs are for Blue Dragon.

Some were in the "It'll be a very frontloaded JRPG" bandwagon like ckmlb, predicting somewhere around the 200k range for first week...But don't quote me on this.

I was in the "Blue Dragon won't chart phenominal numbers first week, but have great legs" which I still seeing it doing. Thus far, it's had GREAT word-of-mouth from the JRPG X360 community. The Blue Dragon forums, although small, have been overwhelmingly positive about the game.

Either way, Blue Dragon has already trumped Phantasy Star Universe, and nearly beaten Enchanted Arms numbers on the X360 in one week.

I put the legs of Blue Dragon somewhere in the 3.0 to 5.0 area for legs. Enchanted Arms was somewhere near the 3.2 area. However, EM was panned pretty bad, and used copies were overly abundant (and with BD having harder achievements, being longer, and having more content, I see there being less used copies available).

So... I think Blue Dragon could wind up anywhere from 326,133 units at worst (assuming pretty bad, 50% drops) to 543,555 units, give or take.

Blue Dragon has a few advantages:

Kiddie Appeal in graphics (despite what anyone says, kiddie games such as Viva Pinata, Lego Star Wars and POTC3 have all had phenominal legs)

Eternal Sonata (people will pick up a X360 for ES and probably pick up BD as well, just like they did in Japan.)

Halo 3 (major increase in hardware will lead to either smaller drops, or increase in sales. Yes, the games have nothing in common, but if H3 sells 150,000 extra X360s for the week, that'll move a few copies of BD)

Closeness to Christmas (sales are beginning to increase for the X360 pretty steadily, leading me to believe that BD should see some strong drops later on in it's life, as Christmas is only 3 months away).

So I see 500k in the US as easily possible. Is less possible? Yes. However, I do think 500k is definately attainable, or more. I initially had BD pegged at 550k-575k, and will keep it there.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

800.000 !!! will be sold !!!

Around the Network
ihira said:
No way they sold 300000 in Japan where their install base for 360 is 400000.
210000 is already suprisingly good considering that.

Either way I doubt this will even make half-million point seeing the weak start in US charts.

100000+ on a console known for shooters in the market least known for receptivity towards JRPG's and up against massive games on all three consoles (Warkhawk, Bioshock, Metroid)??? Yeah, right, weak start. Look at the figures, this game actually MOVED consoles.  The only Bioshock related bump was last week, this week was all BD.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Probably. Im thinking this will move really well during the holidays and keep going as the 360 base gets larger.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

It's possible but it will be slow getting their, I think it'll take the amount of time that Rainbow Six got to 1 million (if it has the legs vegas had). But it'll take awhile, Twilight Princess 3-4 weeks away from 2 million.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Any game can sell 1 million copies! It'll depend on how well its received in the gaming public, if the game's good....alot of things

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

I thought about this last night when I saw the numbers. I think it has a chance, but it may take a while. I think mrstickball is right in his assessment... And when Lost Odyssey comes out, it may give another bump to Blue Dragon as they are from the same studio.

I also expect Microsoft will make Blue Dragon a Platinum Hit at some point (Critical acclaim was good in Japan), further bumping it up...