By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Sony's PS3 value argument hold up?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10197958-17.html

Read the article and comment in here with your valuable feedback.

Around the Network

From reading the article, it looks like the argument holds up. The issue here is that consumers don't see past initial pricing and thus, don't care. So the title of the article should be "do consumers care for the "value" of the ps3"?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

i cor b rsed to follow the link can you post the content in the op?

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Pristine20 said:
From reading the article, it looks like the argument holds up. The issue here is that consumers don't see past initial pricing and thus, don't care. So the title of the article should be "do consumers care for the "value" of the ps3"?

Basically, that is more important to the average consumer.

Many upscale cars, for example, may offer better value than a lower priced model in the long run, but if the consumer isn't willing to front the extra money for that "value" it rarely makes a difference to anyone but the savvy customers who bother to measure everything out in the interest of getting the best value for the price.

With something like a game console, typically price and title selection matter more than feature to price comparisons.

And for those who aren't actually using or don't plan to use certain features (wifi, online, blu-ray, whatever) the whole value argument falls pretty flat when comparing consoles.

It holds up more everyday. Unfortunately sales right now do not reflect the magnitude of the Playstation Legacy. On the brighter side, the many teams making amazing games and the games themselves do. I predict equilibrium will imminently manifest.

Around the Network

I believe it does but it seems to me that not everyone else sees it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

It doesn't hold shit. Value implies that you're getting the essentials at a low cost. Tt should be called Sony "bells and whistles" argument. It's got everything you need, even if you don't want them.

Consumers aren't demanding a bluray player and aren't demanding a wireless adapter. And if they really want a wireless adapter, they can buy it separately. Why make everyone that don't need that functionality pay for it?

I believe it does hold up, it certainly helps justify the pricetag.

But if someone don't plan on using Wifi or blu-ray, than it doesn't matter at all.

It's extremely safe to say that onboard WiFi isn't adding $100 to the price of a PS3. The Wii has it. Even the $130 DS has it. It's a standard feature these days whether used or not.

The question should really be why the hell doesn't MS add it to the next MoBo redesign?

Answer: to sell $100 adapters for a $200 console.

As for Blu-Ray, that's what the games are published on. If you want to use it watch BD movies or not, whatever; it's there.

The ps3 still offers best value in the market among all three competitors but most people think only about now :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB