By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming this Generation... Is this really what we call fun?

Baggins said:
Onimusha12 said:

Now everyone knows I'm an avid Nintendo fanboy and have sought endless reasons to rail against HD gaming, but its quite clear that this generation, no matter how you slice it is a dissapointment in terms of games.

I mean, don't you remember when games were actually fun and not just efforts we saluted for their ability to deliver an impressive cinematic experience or rise up ever so slightly from the mediocrity surrounding them? More and more we seem to be giving games a free pass on being able to impress us rather than engross us.

The Wii has become the phenomenal novelty relegated to virtually no serious third party support while being guided by the direction of a Company whose wisdom draws under ever increasing scrutiny, even by fans who so desperately want to believe they in any way know what they're doing outside of cultivating the casual market. Nintendo's chronic habit of tunnel vision market focus while chasing off every viable second party developer leaves many questioning do they have any desire to create a product of multi-demographic appeal. Every year we listen to the promises of serious support and a dramatic turn around but all we ever seem to see change is the number of hardware units sold. Games like No More Heroes and Madworld at best leave us hoping they will seed sequels we can call complete games. Ports are nice, but so few are even done right, what's the point? And why does every studio feel the obligation to devote not even one fourth the resources to developing a serious Wii Game that would have been dedicated to developing any PS2/Gamecube/Xbox game last generation? Having last generation graphics is one thing, but not even taking the fullest advantage of those is just insulting, but unfortunately the standard. It seems developers have forgotten how to make games on such a template... Or maybe just don't care.

HD gaming is the legacy of last generation's Xbox, even on the PS3... It's primarily gamers who wouldn't be gaming today had the Xbox not lured them back with promises of Spike-TV style violence and hyper masculenity. Guns, guts and glory are the standard of the day and if a game doesn't feature a thick necked male archetype for them to project themselves upon or a sexy scantily clad woman for them to drule over then the game is almost certainly doomed to failure. Kid ourselves as we like, HD gaming is casual gaming too, genres and franchises made increasingly less focused and less specialized to appeal to the typical cassual college student or skill lacking grade school kid that drives the success of this brand of gaming. Games like MGS4 get away with having cumbersome controls and a muddy sense of game refinement by having breathtaking cinematic direction and presentation. Games like DMC4 get away with being unremakably linnear and uninspired by featuring flashy cinematics, emo character designs and music. Games like RE5 get away with having criminally bad A.I. and terrible story by boasting beautiful graphics and again, Cinematic direction that leaves the audience in Awe. In the end do we really have any fun playing these or do you we just sollute them for their academic and cinematic achievements as games? Is it possible to even enjoy an HD game anymore without defaulting on Co-Op or Online Play as its backbone? What ever happened to game planners creating planned encounters or scenarios in the games, why does every signature HD game have to boast a new and unrefined gameplay experience that tries to let the game formulate its own rhyme and reason from a mess of muddy A.I.

Eitherway, both the Wii and HD gaming are thriving on people who would not be playing video games right now had these two options not existed. Neither is a viable successor to the PS2 or its brand of gaming.

So desperately people try to kid themselves that games like RE5, Halo 3, Killzone 2 and MGS4 are the pinacles of what gaming should be and so desperately people try to kid themselves that games like Red Steel, Madworld and Zack & Wiki are "decent" games.

Will gaming ever recover from this slump. The answer is most likely yes, but alternatively we could see gaming take the path of the movie industry where formulated mediocrity is the standard where only slightly more refined mediocrity ever rises above the masses of easily forgotten movies.

Unless Nintendo can rememerge with a new console and recapture more of the market, then its unlikely we'll see any force of standardization as its all Sony can to do play follow the leader. Has Nintendo learned from past mistakes? Do they have a master plan for expanding their market? The answer seems to hint more and more at no.

Mind you, this is not written out of depression or hopelessness, but an honest look at the gaming industry from a most skeptical viewpoint as I find universally most gamers don't like talking about negative things while kidding themselves whatever they want to believe about gaming to be true. Agree or Dissagree, that's fine, I've grossly over simplified a much more complex situation in my post so its only natural there will be disenting opinions and those who feel these notions too harsh or unreasonable. Hopefully this doesn't degenerate into a big fight, but who knows.

Also, in before Okey Dokey's hit and run trolling (lol), Stof's "Oh god, there goes Onimusha12 again, sigh..." or Ari Gold's trademark: "Nothing on the Wii interests me." ;)

....Yes...I didn't bother reading the lot but basically your saying.

PS3360 = games look good but aren't fun like sonic the hedgehog or super mario world

Wii = innovative but since nintendo care more about profits and extracting every penny they can out of it...that's fucked too because we get no diverse games in any volume.

I agree.

Games these days are shit, too much focus on either the casual or the hardcore with no mid-point.

But I'm 24 which will have something to do with it...

Also it's not fashionable to have fun playing games anymore for more than an hour unless you are a geek in a clan playing online or playing a MMORPG.

JRPG's are my only salvation for the games of today that are the biggest heap of shit going.

1 word.

BORING

I dunno if you know but the average age for a gamer is somwhere in the 20s. Gaming is for all ages, just like anyone can watch movies or listen to songs.

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

Understatement of the century? I could have said that it flat out sucks, but I haven't played a Silent Hill game lately and I was just going by your impressions. Konami is making great profits considering that the companies you mentioned (Capcom and Square-Enix) aren't doing so well. Capcom is losing money, while Square-Enix's financials couldn't possibly be from games if they're in the black. You claimed that Konami was part of a trio of Japanese companies that has fallen from grace and will soon face doom, and all I pointed out was that Konami is making money. Metal Gear Solid 4 was a successful game, but the profits of one game won't sustain a major company like Konami by itself. Just look at how Take 2 faired even after the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, or Electronics Arts after the flurry of holiday hits like Madden and Fifa. And I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. You're convinced that gaming is doomed and that various third parties will collapse and that gaming is no longer fun, and it's all so negative. Just play some games, enjoy them, and discuss them with others. Lots of people are having fun this generation, and a lot of great games are coming out. It varies between people of course, but since the majority of people who have responded disagreed with you, I have to wonder.

I could even understand all the negativity, but the main problem I have with your post is all of the insults. The way you insult Xbox fans, not to mention calling out other posters. And you're saying that I'm the one making belittling attacks? Let me pull out of a few quotes for you:

"It's primarily gamers who wouldn't be gaming today had the Xbox not lured them back with promises of Spike-TV style violence and hyper masculenity. Guns, guts and glory are the standard of the day and if a game doesn't feature a thick necked male archetype for them to project themselves upon or a sexy scantily clad woman for them to drule over then the game is almost certainly doomed to failure."

Sounds like an attack to me. If you were looking to stereotype an entire console's userbase (the userbase of the original Xbox being about 24 million), than you certainly succeeded in that regard.

"Also, in before Okey Dokey's hit and run trolling (lol), Stof's "Oh god, there goes Onimusha12 again, sigh..." or Ari Gold's trademark: "Nothing on the Wii interests me." ;)"

Well...that one is just shameless. And you actually say you're not attacking people who disagree? You just attacked me in your post because I disagreed with you. As for "people like me," which I assume refers to the many millions capable of having fun this generation, we are mad since you basically insulted anyone who has different tastes. Although I hate to speak for everyone, it seems you just lump us damn content gamers into one group. Painting the Xbox fanbase as a bunch of mindless frat boys is not the way to get people to listen to your argument. And if you're wondering why I don't just ignore this thread, well...why not just ignore everything? I'd love to live in ignorance and just ignore everything I don't like and everything I disagree with, but it's just not my style. Maybe you should ignore everything you're saying right now. Is that so hard? As for the 800 pound gorilla, I understand the expression, but your use of it is questionable.

Ah but aren't you're the one who gives Okey Dokey free reign to troll any Nintendo game page he likes on the game database while defending the PS3 pages from any malcontents. Hehe.

There's nothing wrong with people who dissagree with me, just people like Okey Dokey who are notorious for making hit and run trolling comments that fall just within the bounds of acceptability (or are such that certain mods are willing to turn a  blind eye) are not good for any discussion. And let's not forget his tendency to show up in my threads habitually with said hit and run attacks, heck you need look no further than my wall comments to see his trolling at its finest. If he wants to dissagree with me that's fine, but his behavior is something I don't feel I need tolerate. My only qualm with Stoff is that he mitigates beyod the issue of opinion, he's a great mod otherwise and I've no other issues with his behavior or how he does his job, in fact I wish we had more mods like him.

And I haven't insulted anyone, at least not intentionally. There are problems, notable trends and issues with the primary demographics of every console, simply pretending they don't exist or can't be used for the sake of comparison is just short sighted. I appologize though if my use of such was in poor taste though. I suppose you would call it an insult to Wii owners if I was to point out the obvious trend of older non-gamers driving the console's sales.

Though honestly if my "insults", as you call them, were really your issue with my thread that would have been your first adressed concern not the focus of this trailing rebutal. For as big a deal as you make out of it, it's somewhat odd you wait so long to make any mention of them. If you don't enjoy the discussion, then perhaps ignorng it would be for the best. I assure you I meant no insult to anyone, I really can't imagine why this thread bothers you so much when no one else found insult in my original post.

And how can Capcom be doing poorly financially when an excellent game like RE5 just came out, they should be swimming in cash right now like Konami. ;)

Anyway, back on topic.

I appreciate all the contributions to the discussion. Its seems many people are quite content with things as they are which is good and I certainly hope I don't come across as too much of a downer in my doom and gloom speak. Still the ills of the Industry are always an interesting discussion to be had.

I'm glad to see so many that agree or at least partially sympathize with my sentiments. Seems their responses are typically longer and more explanitory, though I guess that goes without saying as to present such a view you'd have to explain yourself. Those expressing contentment with the industry have no obligation to explain themselves especially when they seem to be the majority.

I do wonder what will happen to Eastern developers that are finding it harder and harder to adapt to this Xbox cultivated western market. Mind you, that's not to insult the xbox, but there is no denying the 360 has set the pace for mainstream gaming this generation with Sony following suit trying to emulate their strategy of Western Gaming. Mind you we also can't blame the Xbox brand for this dilemma either as these Eastern developers have been suffering their own ills inspite of the industry for quite a while now. Their failure to maintain quality coupled with the shift in market focus is what has doomed their current efforts.

I wish I could say the Wii would in anyway solve things but I honestly wonder if its sublime genius or blind stuborness that drives Nintendo half the time. Their inability to expand to new genres seems to be an insurmountable hurdle and unlike Microsoft or Sony they seem utterly incapable of building a competant harem of second party developers to supplement their console. The power of HD gaming to make even the most mediocre of games sell would have been a windfall for the Wii with all its sub-average games, but they must reap what they sew.

Though I do have to take into consideration what someone said, "If you don't like the way gaming is, get a new hobby." Lol. Did it ever occur to them that it is my love for gaming that compels me to criticise it so? But they might be right in that what good is it asking a forum full of gamers who wouldn't be here if they weren't happy with the way gaming was what they think about it. What an interesting thought, it certainly gives context to the opinions here now doesn't it.

Ah but pay no mind to such ramblings, I still love reading what everyone has to say, remember, your own happiness is what's important. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you're wrong for liking something.

So long as there's no issue between us, I'm fine. As for OkeyDokey, well, I don't allow him to troll on the walls. In case you didn't notice, I'm not a mod (I thought my name being in yellow would make it clear enough). I can't really control what OkeyDokey does anymore. If you have a problem with him, report him. And if you don't see your problem solved, take it directly to the mods via PM. I saw OkeyDokey's wall post and it was insulting and unnecessary, but you do have the power to delete your own wall posts. As for posts in the forums and on walls, just report.

I don't see how you couldn't have fun this gen...

First, nearly all the best games of the previous gens are easily available, and quite cheap... it's huge, so huge: thousands of games !

And now you have 5 consoles plus PC, each with some great stuff, and some of the best and most innovative games ever produced: hundreds of games!

I mean, the person who doesn't have fun this gen should maybe take care of something else: gaming isn't for him anymore... just my two cents...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Neos said:
I couldn't agree more with you Onimusha

Gaming is..not what it used to be...

I'm getting bored with every ps3 game once i finished it.. i couldn't care less for silly and generic multiplayer. The SNES/N64 really was the golden age of gaming.

Obviously in the minority.

Multi-player is what keeps games on the charts (barring Wii and DS games, due to poor online implementation).

Around the Network
68soul said:

I don't see how you couldn't have fun this gen...

First, nearly all the best games of the previous gens are easily available, and quite cheap... it's huge, so huge: thousands of games !

And now you have 5 consoles plus PC, each with some great stuff, and some of the best and most innovative games ever produced: hundreds of games!

I mean, the person who doesn't have fun this gen should maybe take care of something else: gaming isn't for him anymore... just my two cents...

well said

Initiating social expirement #928719281

You guys are just getting old and jaded :P

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

He's mad because the Wii is not a monopoly like the Ps2 was, but isn't tat a good thing? there is more competition now and more choices.

I own a third place console and frankly i barely envy the the top two in terms of games. I get to play games I love and i am not forced to buy the wii like most people were to to buy a ps2.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
He's mad because the Wii is not a monopoly like the Ps2 was, but isn't tat a good thing? there is more competition now and more choices.

I own a third place console and frankly i barely envy the the top two in terms of games. I get to play games I love and i am not forced to buy the wii like most people were to to buy a ps2.

Yep.  I love my PS3 (obviously, lol), and it does have strong third and first party support, so there is no clear loser of the console race.  Normally the 3rd place console got the scraps, but this third-place console has one of the best games of this generation on it.  Happiness +1

DMeisterJ said:
Neos said:
I couldn't agree more with you Onimusha

Gaming is..not what it used to be...

I'm getting bored with every ps3 game once i finished it.. i couldn't care less for silly and generic multiplayer. The SNES/N64 really was the golden age of gaming.

Obviously in the minority.

Multi-player is what keeps games on the charts (barring Wii and DS games, due to poor online implementation).

That's another sore spot of contention though, the reliance of developers on online/multiplayer to supplement otherwise lacking games. But if that is the way gaming is going there is no room for lapsed gamers like myself to complain I suppose. That being the case I wonder if genres that lack easy implementation of online/multiplayer will be doomed to obscurity then? It certainly seems to be the case this generation at least, FPS seems to shine the brightest while everyone else struggles to hand on. I hope we will all enjoy playing only the genres that have easily implemented online functionality because everything else seems in trouble.

I also wouldn't call Neos the minority, at least not from the standpoint of PS3 software sales. Both the PS3 and Wii seem to be suffering similar issues with limited appeal among core gamers and the overall staying power of their games. In a sense the Wii is the console people want to like and the PS3 has the games people want to like but neither really deliver. The 360 on the otherhand seems to be the golden child of software this generation, though we must ask ourselves if this is due to the sheer number of titles available or the quality of them. Either answer is subjective so I'll refrain from answering but it certainly is an interesting dillemma.