By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Valve: L4D pushes 2.5 million at retail!

Strong numbers here for a fun game, and this number only tracks retail sales, not steam, which is where a vast majority of PC gamers got their copy.  It's going to be interesting to see when L4D 2 is launched, since this game performed far stronger than I originally anticipated.  Sure, I expected something over a million on the 360, and about the same of the PC, but Valve has got to very quite happy with it, and this was going directly into the maw of COD:WaW and Gears of War 2…that’s probably the most impressive stat about this performance!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57883

Sorry if this has already been post…mods please close if so.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

L4D one if not the best titles on the 360

looking forward to the DLC

Very fun title, but I got bored of it quick. Only 4 maps...wtf?

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

^^ 20 "maps", 4 campaigns... versus has awesome replayability.

also, the survival pack is coming out in the next few weeks. good job like normal VALVe!

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

your sig is awesome thanny :p

Around the Network

Hmm... Is that 2.5M across PC + X360? I believe it is.

If so, it's only sold 500K on PC (retail).

Unless this is Americas only (which I doubt), that's rather dissapointing. Team Fortress 2 sold 3 million retail (if I recall correctly).

Of course, it won't stop at 500K, but it probably won't beat 1M.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

thanny said:
^^ 20 "maps", 4 campaigns... versus has awesome replayability.

also, the survival pack is coming out in the next few weeks. good job like normal VALVe!

I consider 1 campaign 1 map.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Unless this is Americas only (which I doubt), that's rather dissapointing. Team Fortress 2 sold 3 million retail (if I recall correctly).

It doesn't include steam, as Valve is VERY secretive about that information, but we know it's posted monster numbers on the service...like that 3000% increase in sales when they did that sale a while back.  Even if the game was only selling 20-30K before that...3000% would be massive!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

2.5M at retail, and one of those copies is mine (I still don't trust Steam with full games), it's really good, between PC retail, 360 retail and Steam, this game has to go over 4 million already, i'll even guess more than 5...

heruamon said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

It doesn't include steam, as Valve is VERY secretive about that information, but we know it's posted monster numbers on the service...like that 3000% increase in sales when they did that sale a while back.  Even if the game was only selling 20-30K before that...3000% would be massive!

Yeah, I know it's retail only.

However, here's the retail data of some other titles.

Half-Life: 9.3 million units
Half-Life 2: 6.5 million units
Counter-Strike: 4.2 million units
The Orange Box: 3 million units
Counter-Strike Condition Zero: 2.9 million units
Counter-Strike Source: 2.1 million units
Counter-Strike Xbox Port: 1.5 million units
Half-Life 2 Episode 1: 1.4 million units
Half-Life Opposing Force: 1.1 million units
Half-Life Blue Shift: 800,000 units

That's as of sometime in December.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=52001