By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii HD to be announced at E3 2009.

While watching Iwata's Press Conference at E3 yesterday, one of the most striking things in his presentation was the fact the he offered very little information about any new games coming to the Wii or really to talk about the Wii much at all except to mention a few new Virtual Console titles.  EDIT while writing this, I did forget about the big new SD card info, but that doesn't change what I think their next big announcement will be.

Some folks, pointed out that Iwata would have been reticent to talk about the Wii very much with the DSi set to release in America in a little over a week.

However, I think there could have been another reason.  Perhaps there wasn't much talk about the Wii because Nintendo has something special going on with the Wii right now that they feared much discussion about that console or its future would risk letting the cat out of the bag on their upcoming plans.

I would like to put forth the prediction that this is the case and that after the DSi has released Nintendo will turn their attention to the proper way to present this special new information and I think this will be the announcement of the Wii HD version at this Summer's E3 or at the latest at TGS 09.

I guess you're free to either start hating on or giving some credence to this prediction now.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

they should just come up with ways to use CL6 SDHC cards as VM for games in their dev kits, but then that'd be required for games, hmmm.... consoles are so restricting sometimes.

I prefered your Gears theory ... at least there was something in that.

LOL

This is a bad prediction that just plain isn't going to happen.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Yeah right they are going to kill one of their most succesful products ever to please a very minor group.

Gimme a break....

Nintendo has never denied that they would make a version of the Wii that could output the video signal in HD. As a matter of fact, Miyamoto has said they have to keep up with that technology.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

I bet you $400 (US money) that it won't happen.

PM me if you want to take it.

An HD Wii would be the exact opposite of what Blue Ocean Strategy suggests should be done, as it would be a move on capturing the incumbent market instead of a move to expand the expanded market even further. So no, the odds are not in favor of an HD Wii coming out.

Also, limiting your concept of "emerging technologies" to just HD is remarkably narrow. Not all technologies used in gaming were initially gaming-centric. In fact, none of them were...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

"Also, limiting your concept of "emerging technologies" to just HD is remarkably narrow. Not all technologies used in gaming were initially gaming-centric. In fact, none of them were..."

What?

Heavens to Murgatoids.