By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Factor 5: Lair sucks but, hey, it's not our fault

Hilarious, I just posted this on my site a bit ago and used almost exactly the same title. :D

Then I came in here and saw Twesterm's post...

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

The killer, however, came when pressed on how often he could pull off a 180º with the much-slated vertical flick of the pad. "About eight out of 10," he revealed, before trying to justify it with, "Which is the same ratio that I get in Wii Sports tennis when I try to do a backspin."

So... if i get this straight... he's comparing a game mechanic in a full priced 25 million dollar game, with the controls of one of like 4 parts of a budget, bundled game.

So here is how a game can be casual AND hardcore at the same time.

Market it for the hardcore, and then if the reviews by hardcore players turn out to be bad, say that the casual gamers will like it.

Not that any casual gamer currently has a PS3...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

dallas said:
elnino334 said:
Would it have really been that hard to include regular controls and have motion controls as an option. Hell they could have had the motion as a default to see if people would get used to it but give the players a choice. To be fair the controls weren't the only issues with the game according to the few reviews I read but I guess it was the easiest excuse they could use.

No it wouldn't, but Sony probably paid the Lair people some mad $$$$ to make it six-axis exclusive as a way to promote the feature

yup.

Hus said:
dtewi said:
This game sucks Hus, get over it.

Go troll esle where wii owner.

You know, if you would have only bothered reading the article you would have seen the link pointing to the entire interview. Try reading before you troll next time.

Kasz216 said:
The killer, however, came when pressed on how often he could pull off a 180º with the much-slated vertical flick of the pad. "About eight out of 10," he revealed, before trying to justify it with, "Which is the same ratio that I get in Wii Sports tennis when I try to do a backspin."

So... if i get this straight... he's comparing a game mechanic in a full priced 25 million dollar game, with the controls of one of like 4 parts of a budget, bundled game.

The thing with that though is the backspin isn't supposed to be your basic easy move. It's one of those moves that the better you are at the game, the more easily and better you can pull that off. With Lair, I'm assuming a 180 is a basic move that anybody should be able to do regardless of skill like, I don't know, walking forward.

If he wants to compare the 180, maybe he should have looked at something like RE4:Wii and how easy it is to do.  Oh wait, no, then he couldn't have a silly out and blame it all on the casual/hardcore crowd (whichever one is more appropriate at the time). 

Around the Network

Hus, you are the only Sony fan who would defend this game publically.

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

twesterm said:

The thing with that though is the backspin isn't supposed to be your basic easy move. It's one of those moves that the better you are at the game, the more easily and better you can pull that off. With Lair, I'm assuming a 180 is a basic move that anybody should be able to do regardless of skill like, I don't know, walking forward.

If he wants to compare the 180, maybe he should have looked at something like RE4:Wii and how easy it is to do.  Oh wait, no, then he couldn't have a silly out and blame it all on the casual/hardcore crowd (whichever one is more appropriate at the time). 

Exactly. The 180 in Lair is one of the most important features (when it works) in the game. You try using it constantly before giving up half the time and just turning around (takes about 5 seconds).

Even if it's only as accurate as WiiSports, it's pretty sad that Factor 5 is resorting to comparing their $25 million game to a bundled tech demo that lacks any kind of features or real depth whatsoever. It's also sad that WiiSports is a boatload more fun than Lair.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
twesterm said:

If he wants to compare the 180, maybe he should have looked at something like RE4:Wii and how easy it is to do. Oh wait, no, then he couldn't have a silly out and blame it all on the casual/hardcore crowd (whichever one is more appropriate at the time).

Exactly. The 180 in Lair is one of the most important features (when it works) in the game. You try using it constantly before giving up half the time and just turning around (takes about 5 seconds).

Even if it's only as accurate as WiiSports, it's pretty sad that Factor 5 is resorting to comparing their $25 million game to a bundled tech demo that lacks any kind of features or real depth whatsoever. It's also sad that WiiSports is a boatload more fun than Lair.

I don't think it's sad at all, I'd rather spend 250€ than 600...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Well that cant be good but i will still buy it because i have wanted it for along time and well i havent played game like it....ever(flying dragon eating people no i dont remember any game have that in).

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I guess he is saying that developing in the early part of a consoles life with new technology can set up future successes for second generation games. So he has risked his company's future and financial empire to set up other companies to be successful and at the same time give Factor 5 and negative image. Did I get this right or did I miss something?