By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The choice of word

Sqrl said:
Honestly I think the choice of the word "narrowing" in reference to the "gap" is the missleading part. But I also take exception to their lack of facts.

The line about Wii being down 38% should have read like this:
"The Wii is down 38% coming off one of the best 4 week monthly periods its ever had in Japan due in large part to the release of titles like DQ: Swords, Mario Party 8, and Powerful Pro Baseball 14."
But that would not have fit their theory
In the end the reason for this "narrowing" is because the PS3 was selling abysmally in Japan before and now its just selling below average. But in addition the Wii had a fantastic July in Japan breaking 100k in one week for the first time since very early January.

yea, well now the Wii is selling roughly 50k/wk (according to MC i think, can't remember but we have a couple threads on it) Not only is the weekly amount down due to not pushing great new games, but i do believe they were moving extra consoles to America, since the charts have been showing over 100k/wk.

So really all this ratio comparison is saying is Nintendo stopped delivering as many to japan, and the PS3 had a slight boost, so they blow it out of proportion.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
nordlead said:
Sqrl said:
Honestly I think the choice of the word "narrowing" in reference to the "gap" is the missleading part. But I also take exception to their lack of facts.

The line about Wii being down 38% should have read like this:
"The Wii is down 38% coming off one of the best 4 week monthly periods its ever had in Japan due in large part to the release of titles like DQ: Swords, Mario Party 8, and Powerful Pro Baseball 14."
But that would not have fit their theory
In the end the reason for this "narrowing" is because the PS3 was selling abysmally in Japan before and now its just selling below average. But in addition the Wii had a fantastic July in Japan breaking 100k in one week for the first time since very early January.

yea, well now the Wii is selling roughly 50k/wk (according to MC i think, can't remember but we have a couple threads on it) Not only is the weekly amount down due to not pushing great new games, but i do believe they were moving extra consoles to America, since the charts have been showing over 100k/wk.

So really all this ratio comparison is saying is Nintendo stopped delivering as many to japan, and the PS3 had a slight boost, so they blow it out of proportion.

Honestly, even if last week comes in at 50k when ioi posts everything I am still looking back over the past 2 months and seeing an average of about 74k.  It could be something as simple as July had extra shipments of stockpiled Wiis for the games that were being released and Aug suffered as a result. 

Either way the article really only means one thing, PS3 sales have picked up in Japan.  But I am pretty sure most everyone here already knew that.  The article doesn't really add anything new outside of that, but it does make an attempt at distorting some of the things we already knew...but we have covered those already so no need to beat a dead horse.

To Each Man, Responsibility
gamingdevil said:
Tispower said:
Yeah, agree, that definately is misleading, but I am suprised Wii sales in Japan have slumped by 38%, if that is true.

Let's not forget the Wii had DQ:S in July...

ok, makes sense now =)

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

At 6 to 1 the gap was getting bigger.

At 3 to 1 the gap is still getting bigger.

At 1.1 to 1 the gap would STILL be getting bigger.

The playstation 3 would have to be selling more per week for the gap to be getting smaller.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

imo, american and europe are getting more shipments (american largely due to mp3), but that's really my opinion and we shall see who's right.

i mean, why would they send these huge shipments to japan if they own japan already with the DS/Wii, it doesn't make sense. They need europe (which they will possess in a few weeks from now) and they need to control america.

Then is when the domination really..just begins 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

If I had said a year ago that the Wii would be outselling the PS3 by 3:1 in Japan, I would have been mercilessly heckled. People seem to have such short term memories, that they forget even a ratio of 3:1 is still more than anyone expected.

Really, these slow times of the years are the worst time to evaluate performance. The real battleground is Nov/Dec, and who doesn't think SMG, SSBB and Wii Fit will be the biggest titles in Japan this Winter. 

Two cars are racing cross country.  Car One takes an early lead and is 100 miles ahead of Car Two.  At all times during the race, Car One is traveling at a faster rate of speed than Car Two.  Where in this analogy would you find it appropriate to use the term "narrowing" in relation to the Lead of Care One over Car Two?

I understand the point they are trying to make and yes, the PS3 is doing better relative to the Wii but the Article, to be precise, should say something like "Though the Wii continues to outsell the PS3 by a wide margin and therefore continues to increase its lead, the PS3 is making solid progress in reducing the sales gap between the two consoles".  Now you can talk 6:1, 4:1, 3:1 and so on...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

azzer100 said:
At 6 to 1 the gap was getting bigger.

At 3 to 1 the gap is still getting bigger.

At 1.1 to 1 the gap would STILL be getting bigger.

The playstation 3 would have to be selling more per week for the gap to be getting smaller.

Exactly.. the gap isn't narrowing.. it is just increasing by less.. so.. if you want to choose a better word, i'd call it "widening" still

It's poorly phrased - what's going on is the difference between the two consoles is increasing at a slower rate. To use the car analogy, two cars are driving along a road, one car is doing 180 km/h and the other is doing 60 km/h, later on the two cars are doing 180 km/h and 120 km/h. The second car is still get flogged, just less badly than before.

These console wars stories are fun to read, but you have to take them with a Mount Fuji-sized grain of salt. Taking the car analogy still further: Daimler (excluding Chrysler) sold 1.15 million vehicles in 2006. GM sold 9.7 million vehicles in 2006.

Has Daimler lost to GM in the car wars? Of course not. Different car, different price, different market.

The real story is that the Wii is now outselling the PS2 in the wealthier markets of the world - though in Russia and China the PS2 is apparently still going strong. It looks like this may be the PS2's last great holiday season.