By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Utah Governor vetoes video game and movie legislation [Update]

Does not matter if you ID for a game or not...most the time the kid drags mom or dad in there and you ask the parent if they are ok with this M rated game and explain the content..the parent still says ok and forks over the ID.

ESP the Mexican kids with non english speaking parents(no not being racist here when I used to to work at that shitty corp gamestop this happened all the time) you would explain and the kid 'translated' to his parent..so they whipped out the card and you still have to sell it to them.

..even if the policy the person with the ID is the one who MUST pay for the game to try enforce this further didn't work.

Then there is the send big brother or sister in to buy it then big bro or sis hands the game over to little bro or sis as soon as they exit the store.

Around the Network

omg a smart politition-who'da thunk.

face it, IF this bill was signed- it would goto court and it WOULD have been declared unconstitional by the very reasons the gov. said.

NOT ONE- that i know of- law passed that regulates/fines games in the US has been found legal by the courts. and it cost millions of taxpayers dollars to find this out - each time.

the Gov of utah just saved the state hundreds of thousands-if not millions of dollars worth of legal fees.

IllegalPaladin said:
dsister44 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
dsister44 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
dsister44 said:
i was kind of hoping that this bill would be passed. i mean twelve year olds should not be playing grand theft auto.

I hope you're being sarcastic because the bill would try and destroy the progress gained by the ESRB and retailers to inform customers of the ratings and content in games.

The bill is really just a waste of taxpayer's money that would most likely get struck down in court.

how would it destroy the progress of the esrb? all this would do is fine gamestop(anybody) that whenever they sell a m rated game to a minor. they already do it for tobacco and alchohol, why should they be any different.

And look how that has worked in the other attempts of the lawmakers (most, if not, all of them have failed. Usually by being shot down as unconstitutional). 

This bill will fine the stores for selling an m-rated game to a minor, but that's only if the store advertises that they don't sell m-rated games to minors. Thus, stores wont get into trouble with this bill if they don't bother with ratings anymore, which undermines the whole idea of having ratings to begin with. Now, retailers could potentially still enforce the ratings, but they wouldn't be able to talk about it, but what constitutes as advertising the ratings? 

The bill is pointless overall. In fact, the FTC found that minors were only able to purchase m-rated games 20% of the time in a secret shopper study which was down from 40% from 2006. Sure, Gamestop led the pack probably because they were a video game oriented store, but the point is that the video game industry and retailers are doing a heck of a job in trying to keep inappropriate content away from minors. In fact, the same study shows that the secret shoppers were able to buy r-rated movie tickets 35% of the time, r-rated DVD's 47% of the time, unrated DVD's 50% of the time, and PAL (parental advisory label) rated music 56% of the time.

Yes, I would agree that more can be done to try and keep retailers and parents informed about the ratings of games, but the laws that have been written are a step backwards in this effort.

the esrb wont stop rating games for this reason. or did you forget the fact that the big three will not, let any game on there systems that are not rated. this bill is good for the industry, it will shut up alot of the people that say videogames are for children.anyways the kids will still get there games they will just run to mommy and she will flash there id and there kid gets the new grand theft auto.

I've not said anything about the ESRB stopping their rating process.

This bill is going after the retailers. I'm saying that it's easy for a store to get off the hook of this bill because of the way it's written. The part that the industry is concerned with is that is the bill would go after retailers who advertise that they use the rating system (ie - not sell the game to a child because the ESRB has rated the game for people 17 and up) and if a store stops doing that, they could not only sell a game to a minor and not get into trouble from this bill, but they wouldn't be able to inform people about the ratings because that could fall under advertising.

i see your point. but i still believe this bill is a good thing. do you really believe that this will do any damage to the esrb? this is how the goverment works, they pass a bill then they add amendments to to it later. 

lenardo1 said:

omg a smart politition-who'da thunk.

face it, IF this bill was signed- it would goto court and it WOULD have been declared unconstitional by the very reasons the gov. said.

NOT ONE- that i know of- law passed that regulates/fines games in the US has been found legal by the courts. and it cost millions of taxpayers dollars to find this out - each time.

the Gov of utah just saved the state hundreds of thousands-if not millions of dollars worth of legal fees.

What's sad is that it's probably going to be overturned. At least we can still look for a potential unconstitutional ruling from the court.

Ryudo said:
Does not matter if you ID for a game or not...most the time the kid drags mom or dad in there and you ask the parent if they are ok with this M rated game and explain the content..the parent still says ok and forks over the ID.

ESP the Mexican kids with non english speaking parents(no not being racist here when I used to to work at that shitty corp gamestop this happened all the time) you would explain and the kid 'translated' to his parent..so they whipped out the card and you still have to sell it to them.

..even if the policy the person with the ID is the one who MUST pay for the game to try enforce this further didn't work.

Then there is the send big brother or sister in to buy it then big bro or sis hands the game over to little bro or sis as soon as they exit the store.

there are some parents that do not want there kids to play these games. infact i didnt own 1 m rated game till i wa seventeen.

Around the Network
dsister44 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
dsister44 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
dsister44 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
dsister44 said:

i see your point. but i still believe this bill is a good thing. do you really believe that this will do any damage to the esrb? this is how the goverment works, they pass a bill then they add amendments to to it later. 

They've already amended the bill a few times and they'd probably do it some more. I don't know about damaging the ESRB itself, but it'll hurt the effectiveness of informing customers (such as parents) of the ratings. If hanging up a poster that lists the ESRB's ratings counts as advertising and the retailer takes it down to prevent the potential fine if they did ever sell an m-rated game to a minor, to what end has the bill benefitted parents with children?

I agree that certain games can be inappropriate for children to play, but so far none of the bills do have done any good. Especially when they're found to be unconstitutional. I've heard that the score is now video games - 7, lawmakers - 0.

Instead of somebody like Jack Thompson saying something useful such as "Violent video games can be inappropriate for children so parents, please check the rating on the box and instead choose a game that's more suitable for you're child. Retailers, please make sure to check for ID's when selling M-rated games" we instead get "I was on 60 minutes and wrote a book about this sort of thing, violent video games train people to murder others. They must be banned!"

YES! less 13 year on kids on the psn

one man can dream.

vlad321 said:
dsister44 said:
i was kind of hoping that this bill would be passed. i mean twelve year olds should not be playing grand theft auto.

Been playing DOOM since I was a weee lil lad. Also DOOM3 when I was like 12-14. I want a good argument out of you as to why 12 year olds shouldn't play GTA.

While I'm am not in favor of censorship no one should have been subjected to the higly disturbing male full frontal in the lost and the damned.